BT vs Pac 12 starting in 2017

Interesting idea, but this pretty much ends any other significant out of conference games. With 9 Big Ten games and 1 PAC 12 game, that will already be 5 home/5 away each year. Meaning all Big Ten teams will schedule their 2 cupcakes (I-AA, MAC, Sunbelt, etc.) to get their 7 home games per year.

No other BCS conference school is going to agree to play at a Big Ten team without a return game. So Iowa vs Iowa State would be over. Also, probably ends the games teams play against Notre Dame each year too, unless they were willing to have 6 road games in a given year.

If we go to a 9 game conference schedule, then the ISU game is toast. However there are rumblings that with this deal Delaney may be rethinking the 9 game conference schedule. If it stays at 8, the ISU game will continue.

9 game schedules may not happen now, according to Delaney.

Big Ten, Pac-12 extend their partnership ? USATODAY.com

With the additional one-game-a-season commitment to the Pac-12, Delany said the Big Ten — which added Nebraska as a member this year — likely will rethink its move to a nine-game conference schedule in football in 2017. Scott said his league will stick with nine.

Interesting idea, but this pretty much ends any other significant out of conference games. With 9 Big Ten games and 1 PAC 12 game, that will already be 5 home/5 away each year. Meaning all Big Ten teams will schedule their 2 cupcakes (I-AA, MAC, Sunbelt, etc.) to get their 7 home games per year.

No other BCS conference school is going to agree to play at a Big Ten team without a return game. So Iowa vs Iowa State would be over. Also, probably ends the games teams play against Notre Dame each year too, unless they were willing to have 6 road games in a given year.

interesting point this give mich/msu/purdue out of playing Notre Dame, which puts the pressure on ND to join the big ten. Smells of Deleney secret genius.

An ISU home and home is makes more money than a P12 home and home. A random P12 opponent will not add more demand to the Iowa home schedule. What did Arizona accomplish a few years ago? The ISU game has more juice than that game, so they probably have equal impact on setting season ticket prices.

And a road game to the west coast is WAY more expensive than driving a bus to Ames.

The dark side of me wants the Big 10 to stick to the 9 game plan, and have both the Pac 12 and Big 10 schools take ND off their schedules. They should have joined when they had the chance....arrogant ******

If we go to a 9 game conference schedule, then the ISU game is toast. However there are rumblings that with this deal Delaney may be rethinking the 9 game conference schedule. If it stays at 8, the ISU game will continue.

Good. If Big Ten stays with the current 8 game schedule, then Iowa gets to preserve its historical crossover rivalry with Purdue.:)

I like this.

It means we play another BCS team. It means we get outside of the Central and Eastern time zones, more so since I don't buy the excuses that are made for losing in the rare times we do go west in the regular season.

I'm guessing that the 9th conference game plan goes out the window, and we keep ISU.

So it looks like the B1G is in the business of trading on field success and tradition for money.

Wait in the usatoday story it said big ten may rethink it's 9 game big ten schedule.

This would allow isu series and nd series to remain

With the additional one-game-a-season commitment to the Pac-12, Delany said the Big Ten — which added Nebraska as a member this year — likely will rethink its move to a nine-game conference schedule in football in 2017. Scott said his league will stick with nine.

Big Ten, Pac-12 extend their partnership ? USATODAY.com

An ISU home and home is makes more money than a P12 home and home. A random P12 opponent will not add more demand to the Iowa home schedule. What did Arizona accomplish a few years ago? The ISU game has more juice than that game, so they probably have equal impact on setting season ticket prices.

And a road game to the west coast is WAY more expensive than driving a bus to Ames.

What's your point exactly? This isn't optional for Iowa. They are going to play a Pac 12 school every year whether they play ISU or not.

The question is, is it more beneficial to play a home game every year than to play ISU at home every two years.

I'll make it simple for you. Iowa will never play less than seven home games. Ever. Too much is riding on that income.

So it's either say goodbye to 9 conference games or say goodbye to ISU. Personally, I don't see why we need another conference game but it wouldn't break my heart to not play ISU anymore.

So it looks like the B1G is in the business of trading on field success and tradition for money.

ummm, what? Playing the Pac 12 is traditional. Also, I'm not sure how much more money the schools are getting in this deal. In fact, some schools will likely lose money (the schools who typically schedue 4 home games in the OOC)

I wouldn't throw stones either. I'd be shocked if the Big 12 didn't eventually enter into a similar agreement with another conference.

edit: this is a big win for the bad football schools. They rarely sell out their home games anyway and tend to have a hard time finding teams to come to their stadium. So in these cases, yes there will be more money.

Last edited:
I don't think the ISU game goes anywhere unless they go to a 9 game schedule. Just eliminates other BCS OOC games other than vs the Pac 12

I don't think the ISU game goes anywhere unless they go to a 9 game schedule. Just eliminates other BCS OOC games other than vs the Pac 12

I agree

I think Iowa, along with Michigan, MSU, and Purdue (because of ND) and Minny, IU, Purdue (because it would be harder to become bowl eligible) will look to stop the 9 game conference schedule from happening.

What's your point exactly? This isn't optional for Iowa. They are going to play a Pac 12 school every year whether they play ISU or not.

The question is, is it more beneficial to play a home game every year than to play ISU at home every two years.

I'll make it simple for you. Iowa will never play less than seven home games. Ever. Too much is riding on that income.

So it's either say goodbye to 9 conference games or say goodbye to ISU. Personally, I don't see why we need another conference game but it wouldn't break my heart to not play ISU anymore.

I was responding to all the posters claiming its stupid to play a home and home "with a team in such a small stadium". The ISU home and home is very profitable.

I quite understand that Iowa will never play less than 7 games, thank you.

I agree that the P12 agreement means either the 9 game schedule or ISU don't happen. It sounds like the 9 game schedule won't happen, I doubt Delaney would say it publicly if it wasn't tilting in that direction.

Other then Iowa/Mich/MSU/Purdue does any other big ten team have a traditional out of conference game? i don't think Pitt and Penn state play every year anymore, anybody have any idea?

Pitt and PSU rarely play now.

Minnesota has their North Dakota State rivalry.

Illinois dropped Missouri after they tired of getting beat every year.

Other then Iowa/Mich/MSU/Purdue does any other big ten team have a traditional out of conference game? i don't think Pitt and Penn state play every year anymore, anybody have any idea?

I guess the question is, do non-pac 12 traditional games go away? Or does the B1G nix the 9 conference game schedule idea? I can't see teams going to 13 regular season games.

Latest posts