BT Championship Pre-Game

...which is why SCHawkeye isn't off the mark. Rbraca was not in the game today in any way, mentally or physically. Why not put some added height in the lane with Mulvey and Ogundele to try and disrupt Purdue's giants? What do we have to lose? It's not like Rbraca is stepping out and hitting 10 footers and drawing out their big men. I see absolutely no downside to that strategy. They absolutely couldn't be any worse defenders or rebounders than Rbraca was today.
Kind of why I called for them to play more earlier this year when we had a patsy schedule and in some of home games. They are nowhere near ready to compete but Mulvey has a big ten body already just not the experience. He could be a force next year. O will only be a real force if he gets a nutritionist and cuts his body fat. That being said any player I disparage on usually has a great game. I bagged on Perkins, JBo, P-Mac, and C-Mac this year and they go out and have career games. Here's crossing my fingers.

Given Ogundele hasn't played any meaningful minutes this year, you expect him to come off the bench cold and play like superman?

Filip won't score much against 7' 4" so why not let Ogundele in for a bit to push him around?
Edey was very frustrated in IC along with Williams. They will really want to play well today.

Given Ogundele hasn't played any meaningful minutes this year, you expect him to come off the bench cold and play like superman?

Filip won't score much against 7' 4" so why not let Ogundele in for a bit to push him around?
If we win today it will be because we got a surprise contribution from a completely unexpected source.

Can't see it being Josh O, but who knows. It's March Madness.

Please stop the Ogundele nonsense. Fran will ride the horses who got us here, not Ogundele or Mulvey. They haven't played meaningful minutes all season and you think is going to insert these guys in the biggest game this season. I need some of the shit you're smoking. Don't you think if Fran any thoughts of these 2 helping us this season he would have pulled that trigger already???

So here we go. Unlike yesterday, or even Friday, I feel a strong sense of calm as gamete approaches.

Is that a good thing? Or not? I do feel like the two best teams in the league are the two playing today. Definitely the two best offensive teams.

Please stop the Ogundele nonsense. Fran will ride the horses who got us here, not Ogundele or Mulvey. They haven't played meaningful minutes all season and you think is going to insert these guys in the biggest game this season. I need some of the shit you're smoking. Don't you think if Fran any thoughts of these 2 helping us this season he would have pulled that trigger already???
Get ready for a lot of zone defense then. It worked yesterday, but Purdue has better outside shooters.

We're going to need our best to knock off Purdue. And after four in four it will probably mean an unexpected source playing over their head. Totally insulted by the Josh O idea? Thats perfectly fine. Maybe it will be Aron Ulis. Or perhaps Kris can repeat the first Indiana game.

Get ready for a lot of zone defense then. It worked yesterday, but Purdue has better outside shooters.

We're going to need our best to knock off Purdue. And after four in four it will probably mean an unexpected source playing over their head. Totally insulted by the Josh O idea? Thats perfectly fine. Maybe it will be Aron Ulis. Or perhaps Kris can repeat the first Indiana game.
Certainly not insulted. I'm just being realistic. Ogundele has not played a single minute of a game where it mattered this year and people think Fran is going to put him in to deal with Edey or William's. Come on man. Can you imagine the press questions to Fran after that. Fran, can you explain why you played a guy who hasn't played a single minute of important minutes this year and now you play him in the championship game?? He would be cruified.

Certainly not insulted. I'm just being realistic. Ogundele has not played a single minute of a game where it mattered this year and people think Fran is going to put him in to deal with Edey or William's. Come on man. Can you imagine the press questions to Fran after that. Fran, can you explain why you played a guy who hasn't played a single minute of important minutes this year and now you play him in the championship game?? He would be cruified.
We need to use Rebraca like we used him at Michigan. Run Edey up and down that floor and tire him out.

But if Edey is allowed to set up where he did on that first possession it's going to be a long day.

Congrats on your keen basketball insight.

No. You may not have any of the shit I’m smoking.

Last edited:
Seems like Fran and I are smokin' the same strain these days! Ha! Kudos to Fran for not being stubborn. I didn't expect the Big O or Mulvey to play lots of minutes, they just needed to get in there and bang Edey around a little bit and be disruptive -- which is exactly what they did. One of Fran's better coaching jobs of the season!

This aged well.

TJD is a completely different animal from Edey or Williams. TJD is way more athletic. That being said Purdue has better shooters on the perimeter. Kris is a better post defender than Rebraca but we need them both to spread the fouls. Ogundele or Mulvey are interesting options but they don’t give us anything on offense. Hopefully we can perform better than we normally do against Purdue.
Sasha and Isaiah Thompson, two of Purdues best perimeter shooters, never got going today and that was huge for our chances. They both handed us our nuts in Iowa City. In fact I don't think Thompson even scratched the scoring column.

I honestly never expected to see Josh or Mulvey, but I sure am happy to be wrong!
I had a feeling we’d see Ogundele, he’s the only one on the roster who can body up Edey. But Mulvey was a surprise, I think this happened to give Ogundele a rest since Rebracca was in foul trouble.

I honestly never expected to see Josh or Mulvey, but I sure am happy to be wrong!
Obviously I was shocked to see them both get minutes. I was even more shocked to see Ogundele make a move and score. The crow was tough, but I choked it down. Cmac I thought maybe made the 2 best plays of the day when we needed them the most. Got Williams in the air got the score plus 1 when Purdue closed it to a 1 pt. game. That stopped the bleeding and then a bit later the full court pass to Keegan. Most guys throw that thing out the other end but somehow that thing checked up and allowed Keegan to track it down.

Obviously I was shocked to see them both get minutes. I was even more shocked to see Ogundele make a move and score. The crow was tough, but I choked it down. Cmac I thought maybe made the 2 best plays of the day when we needed them the most. Got Williams in the air got the score plus 1 when Purdue closed it to a 1 pt. game. That stopped the bleeding and then a bit later the full court pass to Keegan. Most guys throw that thing out the other end but somehow that thing checked up and allowed Keegan to track it down.
Yep, CMac was key down the stretch. Coming out of the 'under 4 min' timeout Fran left Sandfort in, cause he'd been hot. But when he immediately overthrew a pass into the paint into the backboard, Fran sat him down and inserted CMac. Put in Sandfort at the right time; took him out at the right time....maybe one of the best games Fran has ever coached.