BT Championship Pre-Game

SCHawkeye2

Todays game, while outstanding, exposed our weakness when teams get to the paint.
I would be shocked if Purdue does not try to pound it inside to their big men all game.
Any chance we play Mulvey or Ogundele in place of Rebraca? Give up 10 fouls to jam the middle?

Todays game, while outstanding, exposed our weakness when teams get to the paint.
I would be shocked if Purdue does not try to pound it inside to their big men all game.
Any chance we play Mulvey or Ogundele in place of Rebraca? Give up 10 fouls to jam the middle?
As for playing Mulvey or Ogundele for Rebraca that would a big hell no. Rebraca wasn't great, but most of the game he had little help from his teammates on putting pressure on the ball. Indiana had zero trouble finding TJD. I thought Fran's starting lineup was weak on defense today. When he went to CMac, Kris and Joe T we had better pressure on the ball. Keegan kept it close and gave us a chance for Jbo to launch that prayer at the buzzer. If we let Purdue just abuse us in the paint we are in trouble.

As for playing Mulvey or Ogundele for Rebraca that would a big hell no. Rebraca wasn't great, but most of the game he had little help from his teammates on putting pressure on the ball. Indiana had zero trouble finding TJD. I thought Fran's starting lineup was weak on defense today. When he went to CMac, Kris and Joe T we had better pressure on the ball. Keegan kept it close and gave us a chance for Jbo to launch that prayer at the buzzer. If we let Purdue just abuse us in the paint we are in trouble.
...which is why SCHawkeye isn't off the mark. Rbraca was not in the game today in any way, mentally or physically. Why not put some added height in the lane with Mulvey and Ogundele to try and disrupt Purdue's giants? What do we have to lose? It's not like Rbraca is stepping out and hitting 10 footers and drawing out their big men. I see absolutely no downside to that strategy. They absolutely couldn't be any worse defenders or rebounders than Rbraca was today.

TJD is a completely different animal from Edey or Williams. TJD is way more athletic. That being said Purdue has better shooters on the perimeter. Kris is a better post defender than Rebraca but we need them both to spread the fouls. Ogundele or Mulvey are interesting options but they don’t give us anything on offense. Hopefully we can perform better than we normally do against Purdue.

...which is why SCHawkeye isn't off the mark. Rbraca was not in the game today in any way, mentally or physically. Why not put some added height in the lane with Mulvey and Ogundele to try and disrupt Purdue's giants? What do we have to lose? It's not like Rbraca is stepping out and hitting 10 footers and drawing out their big men. I see absolutely no downside to that strategy. They absolutely couldn't be any worse defenders or rebounders than Rbraca was today.
You have to be kidding if you think 2 guys from deep off the bench give us a better chance than Rebraca who has started all year. That is ridiculous. My God did you see Ogundele get garbage minutes agaisnt NW? He has very little footwork.... looks like he needs to drop 25 to 30 pounds and even thinking they wouldn't hurt our chances tells me one thing.....you dudes are clueless.

You have to be kidding if you think 2 guys from deep off the bench give us a better chance than Rebraca who has started all year. That is ridiculous. My God did you see Ogundele get garbage minutes agaisnt NW? He has very little footwork.... looks like he needs to drop 25 to 30 pounds and even thinking they wouldn't hurt our chances tells me one thing.....you dudes are clueless.
Rebraca scored 0 points.
TJD scored 31 in the paint.
Failing to see the downside of giving some other big men a few minutes.

It’s an interesting thought, Ogundele looked terrible in the few minutes he got against Northwestern but Mulvey impressed. Purdue bigs are gonna eat Rebracca and the twins alive and you cant just double team down low or Ivey is going to go off.

It’s an interesting thought, Ogundele looked terrible in the few minutes he got against Northwestern but Mulvey impressed. Purdue bigs are gonna eat Rebracca and the twins alive and you cant just double team down low or Ivey is going to go off.
Iowa more than held their own in IC against the bigs from Purdue, they are not very athletic. The guards won that game against us along with Ivy who's a matchup nightmare. Iowa needs to crash the boards but more importantly secure the rebound before trying to advance the ball. Iowa had numerous t/o's when they just tried to advance the ball before looking where the defenders were. The Iowa guards had terrible shooting performance against Purdue so they are due to break out. Need to play Peyton more and get everyone crashing the boards. Keep it close and try to steal another one, Iowa is really playing with nothing on the line. All the pressure is on Purdue. They almost lost both games to teams far inferior to them. Iowa has a punchers chance. Wouldn't hurt if they got hot on the 3 point line again. Iowa has won three games, they have nothing left to prove to me or the media. This is all about their desire, Keegan has the heart of a warrior.

First off dont mess around with your starting lineup at this point. I thought about 4-5 Indiana fouls should have been called just going over Rebraca's back let alone a bunch of rebounding hacks against other hawks.

I hope the coaches tell Rebraca to be more physical with his backside rooting those PU players away from the rim.

I would like to see the hawks front the Purdue big men and make the passes to them be more difficult. With fronting you have to have offside defense quick to double team and cover up.

^^ Correct, JBo looked slow on defense early in the game and other players were not taking good angles to shut down IU dribble penetration.

That being said, keep the same starting 5 but be ready to sub a little earlier. The Murrays and PatMac in the game bring a lot of height and wingspan, Sandfort can get some rebounds and be a shooter.

I thought yesterday the worst rotations Fran had were when he had only 2 scorers in the game with Ulis, JoeT, and a rough shooting Sandfort.

I would love nothing more than to see PMac and Connor both find the range from the arc today as they were a little off yesterday. Connor has hit a lot of big buckets the last 6 weeks.

The only way Mulvey or Ogundele see action is if we are in serious foul trouble with multiple players or we are up 30 or down 30 with game over. Take it to the bank.

^^ Correct, JBo looked slow on defense early in the game and other players were not taking good angles to shut down IU dribble penetration.

That being said, keep the same starting 5 but be ready to sub a little earlier. The Murrays and PatMac in the game bring a lot of height and wingspan, Sandfort can get some rebounds and be a shooter.

I thought yesterday the worst rotations Fran had were when he had only 2 scorers in the game with Ulis, JoeT, and a rough shooting Sandfort.

I would love nothing more than to see PMac and Connor both find the range from the arc today as they were a little off yesterday. Connor has hit a lot of big buckets the last 6 weeks.
I though PMac was having a terrible game early and that it was a continuation of his recent hip/illness issues. I was calling in the game thread for Kris to pick up Pat's minutes.

As it turned out this is why Fran gets paid big bucks and why jimokes like me get paid to punch out stupid posts. Once the putback dunk got him going, PMac was making some huge shots early and midway through the second half when Keegan was the only other player scoring. He was vital. PMac was the unsung hero of yesterday's big win. It was also an example how good a job Fran did with his bench coaching.

I though PMac was having a terrible game early and that it was a continuation of his recent hip/illness issues. I was calling in the game thread for Kris to pick up Pat's minutes.

As it turned out this is why Fran gets paid big bucks and why jimokes like me get paid to punch out stupid posts. Once the putback dunk got him going, PMac was making some huge shots early and midway through the second half when Keegan was the only other player scoring. He was vital. PMac was the unsung hero of yesterday's big win. It was also an example how good a job Fran did with his bench coaching.
Agreed, PMac had a good game. Disagree with Fran's bench coaching yesterday, tho. It was clear from the first few minutes of the game that Rbraca was not in it -- mentally or physically. 0 pts and impotent on offense. Repeatedly in the wrong spots and outlengthened and outclassed by Jackson-Davis and any other Hoosier going for a rebound. That he got as many 2nd half minutes as he did, while Kris M sat on the bench, was coaching malpractice. As soon as he sat Rbraca and inserted Kris and started fronting J-D at the 5.5 min mark, the game changed entirely.

First off dont mess around with your starting lineup at this point. I thought about 4-5 Indiana fouls should have been called just going over Rebraca's back let alone a bunch of rebounding hacks against other hawks.

I hope the coaches tell Rebraca to be more physical with his backside rooting those PU players away from the rim.

I would like to see the hawks front the Purdue big men and make the passes to them be more difficult. With fronting you have to have offside defense quick to double team and cover up.
Those rebounds over Rbraca's back weren't fouls, he was just 'out of it' that game from the beginning. While inserting Kris M and fronting J-D was a good idea yesterday, if you think Rbraca can front and compete with Edey who's 7'4" tall, well, I strongly disagree.

Game for a title is exciting, however for NCAA seeding, no effect.
Bracket is complete, Iowa is seeded where ever, win or lose.

Do you use a few minutes more for Sandfort, Ulis, yes even Ogundele, just for more experience. 3 tourney games so far have all seen lineups at times that haven't been used at all.

Big picture is come out of this game as healthy as can be.

Anyone know Frans' bonus for a Big10 title?
He may have the most at stake today.....

I've noticed that Conner shoots the three much better when he is right on the line. It seems if he is back two or three feet he arcs it too much and is usually off. The key for him is to be ready to shoot right away he is deferring too much right now to the Murrays, which I totally understand but we are better when he is hitting, it opens the lane of the Murrays who are getting called for a lot of charges all of a sudden, I swear the one yesterday the guy had to be standing in the circle.

I would love nothing more than to see PMac and Connor both find the range from the arc today as they were a little off yesterday. Connor has hit a lot of big buckets the last 6 weeks

Given Ogundele hasn't played any meaningful minutes this year, you expect him to come off the bench cold and play like superman?

Filip won't score much against 7' 4" so why not let Ogundele in for a bit to push him around?

Those rebounds over Rbraca's back weren't fouls, he was just 'out of it' that game from the beginning. While inserting Kris M and fronting J-D was a good idea yesterday, if you think Rbraca can front and compete with Edey who's 7'4" tall, well, I strongly disagree.
I think they were fouls as the Indiana players were slamming into the back of Rebracca and every other Hawkeye purposely to jar the ball loose. That is a foul. In today's game Purdue's bigs will simple reach over the heads of the Iowa players and snag it, that's not a foul. It is imperative we box out and our guards clean up the loose balls. Purdue guards and forwards are making a living this year on getting put back points when we are occupied blocking out the Bigs. Beating this team will be a huge task, we gave them our best shot at Carver and they didn't blink.

Latest posts