Bryce Cartwright comments

How good does everyone think this guy is? Does he just provide point guard depth, or does he compete for Cully Payne's starting job? Just curious on everyones thoughts.

Last edited:
They list him as 6'1'' 184 lbs...bigger than advertised..hope that is accurate. From the clips I have seen of him, he looks like he is well put together physically,which is important in the Big Ten. Kind of an Al Nolen type body. Now,if he can defend like Nolen..all good.

How good does everyone think this guy is? Does he just provide point guard depth, or does he compete for Cully Payne's starting job? Just curious on everyones thoughts.

I don't really know how good the kid is... but with running a new offense, Cully as your starting pg is far from set in stone. Cartwright will have some catching up to do when he gets on campus, but considering our record last year... the best thing Coach Fran can do is keep all spots open until practice starts and he can see what is all there.

I think when you are coming off a 10 win season everyone has to compete for their starting job. But with an uptempo style of play there are going to be plenty of minutes to dish out, especially at the PG position.

Hmmm? His JC coach worked for Speraw. I vaguely remember someone on this board writing that he heard one of the assistants was bringing a PG with him for 2010. Just can't remember who said that. Might have been the guy who predicted the B12 South Teams to the Pac 10 like three months ago. Whomever that was.

This just got posted a couple of hours ago and has a short interview with Bryce about Iowa, why he came, and his JUCO coach.

Iowa signs juco guard

I think Cartwright challenges for the starting position and could easily win it. And think no starting position is designated yet. Wide open competition will only help the team develop. Winning is everything right now and the players that give IOWA the best chance to win and play the most consistent will be the ones Fran will go to. Depth at every position now, how nice is that?

We have two scholarship PG's on the roster. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference who "starts". There are plenty of minutes for both.

I am not saying this team is going to be great, but I must admit this is the first time in a long time I have been excited about the direction we are heading.

I would hope that Cartwright doesn't have the mindset that he's coming in to back up anybody. I would also hope that coach puts the best product on the floor regardless of what their names are.

Guys, we sucked last year - worst one year record in the history of Iowa Basketball and we are coming of the worst three year stretch in Iowa basketball HISTORY. The coach was only part of the problem if you know what I mean.

If I'm Fran I level the playing field and start fresh. Upper classmen and returning players do not have a leg up; everyone starts at square one. Those who practice hardest and contribute to a total team effort will be the starters and get most PT for the next game.

We have two scholarship PG's on the roster. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference who "starts". There are plenty of minutes for both.

Exactly right, Duffer. The bench is as important as any position on the floor. Even Rajon needs a rest. And, if memory serves me correctly, Cully finished the season with like 40 pts in the Btt.

I'm sure he's here to provide depth, but I hope he competes for the starting job. That is a good thing.

I think with the change in coaches and style of play he has a very good chance to take the starting job from Cully. Love Cully's toughness but I don't know how he will do in an up-and-down game. Cartrwright seems to have experience in that type of game and my sense is that he could make an immediate impact.

I think Cully's going to have to work very hard to remain the starter at PG.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but to those that think Bryce is going to bump Cully, I found this quote:

"*Not to pick on Cartwright too much here, he's a freshman afterall, but there is a rather comical exchange going on now because absolutely everyone has figured out that Cartwright can't really go left. So Saturday, the Idaho defender did sort of a one-man press which consisted almost entirely of forcing Cartwright to dribble with his left hand. And Cartwright would of course fight with extra determination to go right anyway, sending them both careening off to the right side of the court, like they were playing in an entirely different direction than the rest of the players."

I do think he'll be a solid (much needed) back-up but I'm not going to have huge expectations for him, and I don't think he'll take Cully's place as a starter.

The highs and lows of Dogs hoops - fresnobee.com Sports Buzz

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but to those that think Bryce is going to bump Cully, I found this quote:

"*Not to pick on Cartwright too much here, he's a freshman afterall, but there is a rather comical exchange going on now because absolutely everyone has figured out that Cartwright can't really go left. So Saturday, the Idaho defender did sort of a one-man press which consisted almost entirely of forcing Cartwright to dribble with his left hand. And Cartwright would of course fight with extra determination to go right anyway, sending them both careening off to the right side of the court, like they were playing in an entirely different direction than the rest of the players."

I do think he'll be a solid (much needed) back-up but I'm not going to have huge expectations for him, and I don't think he'll take Cully's place as a starter.

The highs and lows of Dogs hoops - fresnobee.com Sports Buzz

Hopefully he's worked on his game since he was a true frosh.

I think some of you have and still do underestimate the value that Cully Paine brings to this team. I definitely think Cartwright will bring in some much needed depth, but I would be absolutely shocked if Cully was not the starter this season. I think when all is said and done, Cully will go down as one of the all-time great Hawks. Just my opinion.

I love Cully's toughness he displayed last year, but I still believe he is a marginal B10 PG at best. This is a great addition IMO because that is were our team was lacking the most last year.

Latest posts