Bryce Cartwright comments

Read some stuff about his facebook/twitter page that was kinda scary. I havnt seen it myself but might have to keep him on a short leash with the IC Gustaf o !!

Not true.

Not sure what you are saying "Not true" to? If you a referring to my comment about not being able to have a deadly crossover without being able to use your left hand, then I guess we will have to disagree on that one.

Here is the evaluation pointing that out:

Evaluation
March, 2008: Cartwright is one of the most underrated point guards on the West Coast. He has great speed, quickness and possesses a solid frame. His jump shot has improved immensely since his junior season and he's evolving into a solid Division I point guard. He ran his team down the stretch with aplomb and made a number of clutch plays to seal the victory for the Dons, including four straight free throws in the final two minutes of the game.

September, 2007: Cartwright was the most dazzling point guard of the day with his assortment of assists of the spectacular variety. He is one of the quickest point guards in the country, possessing that rare second gear in the open court. Although he favors going right, he does have a deadly crossover to get by his opponents. He can finish in the paint area off the drive or dish off to a teammate. He is more of a scoring point guard at this juncture; however his decision making has improved greatly over the past year and he is beginning look for open teammates more frequently. By the time the spring arrives, Cartwright should be gathering some Division I interest, especially if his decision making and jump shot continued to be sharpened.

Cartwright is one of the top sleepers in the class of 2008. He has an ideal frame for the "one" spot with fairly long arms and overall solid length. What separates him from most of his peers is his speed with the ball in his hands - he has that rare second gear that enables him to separate from defenders on the break. His handle (has a swift crossover) is excellent as he is able to breakdown defenders quite often off the bounce. On the other hand, his jump shot (more like a set shot at this point) needs some polishing. His release is quick, however, its trajectory has very little arc in it. With his elite athleticism he would be quite a handful if he develops a pull-up game. Cartwright is a solid defender as well due to his excellent lateral movement and quick hands. His feel for the game has improved since the regular season as he isn't forcing the issue as much. Despite the improvements at both ends of the floor, Cartwright needs to continue to develop a better understanding (decision-making) of the game and refine his jump shot.

Not sure what you are saying "Not true" to? If you a referring to my comment about not being able to have a deadly crossover without being able to use your left hand, then I guess we will have to disagree on that one.

Here is the evaluation pointing that out:

Evaluation
March, 2008: Cartwright is one of the most underrated point guards on the West Coast. He has great speed, quickness and possesses a solid frame. His jump shot has improved immensely since his junior season and he's evolving into a solid Division I point guard. He ran his team down the stretch with aplomb and made a number of clutch plays to seal the victory for the Dons, including four straight free throws in the final two minutes of the game.

September, 2007: Cartwright was the most dazzling point guard of the day with his assortment of assists of the spectacular variety. He is one of the quickest point guards in the country, possessing that rare second gear in the open court. Although he favors going right, he does have a deadly crossover to get by his opponents. He can finish in the paint area off the drive or dish off to a teammate. He is more of a scoring point guard at this juncture; however his decision making has improved greatly over the past year and he is beginning look for open teammates more frequently. By the time the spring arrives, Cartwright should be gathering some Division I interest, especially if his decision making and jump shot continued to be sharpened.

Cartwright is one of the top sleepers in the class of 2008. He has an ideal frame for the "one" spot with fairly long arms and overall solid length. What separates him from most of his peers is his speed with the ball in his hands - he has that rare second gear that enables him to separate from defenders on the break. His handle (has a swift crossover) is excellent as he is able to breakdown defenders quite often off the bounce. On the other hand, his jump shot (more like a set shot at this point) needs some polishing. His release is quick, however, its trajectory has very little arc in it. With his elite athleticism he would be quite a handful if he develops a pull-up game. Cartwright is a solid defender as well due to his excellent lateral movement and quick hands. His feel for the game has improved since the regular season as he isn't forcing the issue as much. Despite the improvements at both ends of the floor, Cartwright needs to continue to develop a better understanding (decision-making) of the game and refine his jump shot.

I understand you have to "use" your left hand in order to crossover, however, the discussion originally came from a comment about a 1 man press taking away his left hand. Being able to bring the ball up the floor with your off-hand against pressure is completely different from being able to cross-over hard and get past someone. The latter only requires the ability to handle the ball with the off-hand for a dribble or two, the former requires the ability to control the ball consistently with the off-hand.
I've seen plenty of players that can make moves to get past some one using their off-hand, but cannot control the ball well enough to consistently use the off-hand to bring the ball up the court.

I understand you have to "use" your left hand in order to crossover, however, the discussion originally came from a comment about a 1 man press taking away his left hand. Being able to bring the ball up the floor with your off-hand against pressure is completely different from being able to cross-over hard and get past someone. The latter only requires the ability to handle the ball with the off-hand for a dribble or two, the former requires the ability to control the ball consistently with the off-hand.
I've seen plenty of players that can make moves to get past some one using their off-hand, but cannot control the ball well enough to consistently use the off-hand to bring the ball up the court.

By most accounts, BC handles the ball pretty well. I guess we will all see come November. I would trust that McCaffery would not bring another PG in here who was so one dimensional. I am not form my perceptions of him off of one article by some anonymous writer talking about how he could not dribble with his left hand one game.

Cully struggles with his right hand,so if Bryce struggles with his left hand, we have balance anyway...joking. A pet peeve of mine is ballhandlers without a strong off hand...get to work boys..dribble a bb with your off hand everywhere you go this summer..to the gym,to the store,to the bar,to the bathroom,while you mow your lawn, while you make love to your girlfriend...(ok,maybe not)..seriously, there is only one way to get better...like Iverson said...practice!

Cully struggles with his right hand,so if Bryce struggles with his left hand, we have balance anyway...joking. A pet peeve of mine is ballhandlers without a strong off hand...get to work boys..dribble a bb with your off hand everywhere you go this summer..to the gym,to the store,to the bar,to the bathroom,while you mow your lawn, while you make love to your girlfriend...(ok,maybe not)..seriously, there is only one way to get better...like Iverson said...practice!

that's how i got better with the left hand....

Latest posts