Bryce Cartwright coming to win PG spot (Howe column)

I never thought he signed to be a backup. So many posters have Cully the automatic starter. I don't think any player worth anything would be content to just come play in the Big 10 and not want to be a starter. I like Cartwright's chances to be a starter at point guard.

The added depth is huge. One of the toughest parts of coaching that I dealt with involved dealing with young people and their egos, roles on the team, etc... This is easier to deal with when the team is winning; when the team is losing, many many kids begin to be more concerned with their points, who starts, etc... It's kind of a chicken/egg thing. Do you need to win to get kids to buy into the team idea, or can you do it the other way around? The non-conference schedule may work out well for us. Adding competitive, athletic kids will help!
Go Hawks!

I never thought he signed to be a backup. So many posters have Cully the automatic starter. I don't think any player worth anything would be content to just come play in the Big 10 and not want to be a starter. I like Cartwright's chances to be a starter at point guard.

I agree. Cully is a nice player but it isnt like he's Steve Nash. I have never understood why Cully has been penciled in by some as a 4 year starter. I like Bryce's attitude...may the best man win the job

I agree. Cully is a nice player but it isnt like he's Steve Nash. I have never understood why Cully has been penciled in by some as a 4 year starter. I like Bryce's attitude...may the best man win the job

Before this commit who really had a chance ahead of Cully?

"Settling it in practice" will make both a better player in the long and that will add a big advantage to our backcourt.

I don't know why people make a big deal out who starts and who doesnt. We need at least 2 capable PG's, and we have exactly 2 PG's on schollie. Both are going to get significant minutes.

I agree with Duff. But i do think that Bryce will really suprise people. He's exactly what coach wants in a PG if you compare his stat line to the PG's stat line last year at Siena and he's got a lot of experience as a winner because everywhere he's been he has won games.

There is plenty of playing time for both...

Payne and Cartwright. It basically will settle itself with how they play. You could also have the option of playing them together in stretches if the other team had two smaller guards on the floor.

I hope they have a FRIENDLY rivalry work together to make each other better, other than get on ego trips and cause dissension. WE NEED TEAM!

IMO we don't want anyone on the team that just wants to be a backup player and hopefully we aren't giving out schollies to anyone that only wants to be a backup player

IMO we don't want anyone on the team that just wants to be a backup player and hopefully we aren't giving out schollies to anyone that only wants to be a backup player

+1
Now, these guys should be willing to ultimately accept whatever role they're given. But, they should be competitive always.

BC should help us out the next 2 years. It seems like FM has a clear vison of what he wants to do right out of the gate. It is really refreshing to have a coach who at least appears to know what he is doing and where he wants to go.

BC should help us out the next 2 years. It seems like FM has a clear vison of what he wants to do right out of the gate. It is really refreshing to have a coach who at least appears to know what he is doing and where he wants to go.

Exactamundo! Coach Mac seems to be doing everything right. EVERYTHING! It's weird to see because I don't recall that happening except in the very early years of the Davis era. Even then I don't think it can match what he is doing. He is bringing in great talent, he is well organized, politicing very well, recruiting well and has the most experienced coaching bench in the Big Ten. Who has 3 head coaches on the same staff!? Awesome.

Of course, we still need to see him coach... It's strange tho, it almost seems like a formality to me? As if it will all work out, and work out well. I haven't been this excited about Iowa basketball in almost 2 decades. It's a great feeling!

Love it! Go Coach Mac! Go Hawks!

Exactamundo! Coach Mac seems to be doing everything right. EVERYTHING! It's weird to see because I don't recall that happening except in the very early years of the Davis era. Even then I don't think it can match what he is doing. He is bringing in great talent, he is well organized, politicing very well, recruiting well and has the most experienced coaching bench in the Big Ten. Who has 3 head coaches on the same staff!? Awesome.

Of course, we still need to see him coach... It's strange tho, it almost seems like a formality to me? As if it will all work out, and work out well. I haven't been this excited about Iowa basketball in almost 2 decades. It's a great feeling!

Love it! Go Coach Mac! Go Hawks!

Even if Cartwright does win the starting job, they both could get considerable playing time, not just because there is only 2 true PG's, but because fact is we are simply not going to be able to run the ball on every team. There are some teams that will not allow us to run, and at those time, Payne might be the best fit for playing time, especially as he has a full year of experience with this type of play under his belt.

Latest posts