Brust Betrayal...

Yes, I would blame the band kid. No part of being a Hawkeye was altered when the coaching staff was fired. So, would I not be a Hawkeye anymore because the coached resigned or retired. If you want to be a Hawkeye you are a Hawkeye, Brust apparently never wanted to be a "Hawkeye" he just wanted to play basketball, which is fine. But don't saying being a Hawkeye changes because coaches change.
HawkI101,

Being a Hawkeye for Ben is not the same as you! Yes we want him to be avid about the Black and Gold like you. But, you don't have to worry about a system fit, playing time, teammate interaction, academics, etc. You just have to worry about what new Hawkeye gear you are going to buy this year and which games you are going to. Being a Hawkeye for these kids is 24x7 mentally and physically. Please don't try to compare them unless you have been there done that.

Brust and Larson may feel similar betrayal from Iowa from firing the coach they committed to.

They had to have know that it was a possibility when they committed. So, maybe they always held onto the option that they might decommit if it happened.

Then they are idiots.

This is so ridiculous. These kids are not life long Hawkeye fans. They committed to Iowa because they thought the basketball program was a good fit for them. Since they committed there have been major changes to the program. This is a huge life decision for them, they shouldn't have to be stuck for four years at a school that they don't want to be just because they committed here under a different coach. These kids need to look out for themselves and do what's best for them, not whats best for Iowa.

To think that these kids commit to the school and whoever the coach is shouldn't change anything is amazingly ignorant. Iowa wasn't loyal to Lickliter and his staff, although they had good reason to end his contract, so then why should these kids be loyal to Iowa?

Christ.

Can we have a three month moratorium on any/all basketball-related posts (other than by mods), please?

They had to have know that it was a possibility when they committed. So, maybe they always held onto the option that they might decommit if it happened.

Actually I believe one of them (not sure if it was Larson or Brust) stated that he knew this was a possibility, but I don't recall if he specified whether he recognized that when he signed.

Except when they committed, Iowa hadn't suffered through a 10-22 season and it looked like Lickliter & Co. would continue to be at the helm.

Both players seemed to have blown it up a bit during their senior seasons, gaining additional recognition from D1 programs. Lick's firing game them an opening to explore their options.

First of all, anyone who would wear Iowa gear specifically to go root against ISU in a bowl game...is a loser. And yes, the same applies to an ISU fan wearing Cyclone gear to a bowl in order to root against Iowa. That's just pathetic. And it likely says something bad about the kid from the get-go...indicates the maturity level of about a 3rd grade student.

You ISU fans have this idea that it is bad for a guy or gal to wear Iowa gear to an ISU event. I've heard it before. I could care less when I see a person sporting ISU gear at an Iowa game. Could care less.

This whole thread (and all similar ones) are just so idiotic. He commited to play for a coach and was super excited to do so, now the coach gets canned and you hold it against the kid because he decides he wants to look at other options. On top of that it makes it worse in your mind because he seemed so excited earlier?

The other thing to consider is not a single person on earth (other than you) gives a rats azz that you "have lost respect for him". You really think that matters.... at all.... even a little bit? Not a single person (other than yourself) cares whether or not you have respect for this kid. Do you expect him to think... "well if I de commit from Iowa this internet guy and a few other fans are going to lose respect for me so I better stay at Iowa".

I seriously wonder how Jon holds his tounge sometimes. You just know he has to be raging against his internal filter at times to say what he really feels before making the PC post....

Sofa king we Todd did.

So let me get this straight. You rip on a guy who is giving his thoughts on a particular matter and give your opinion that what he thinks....no one cares, then turn around and throw out Jon's name like what he thinks matters anymore than the next guy? That makes sense. The guy is merely giving his thoughts and I see no where in his post that he is worrying about what anyone thinks including Ben Brust. Lighten up.

So let me get this straight. You rip on a guy who is giving his thoughts on a particular matter and give your opinion that what he thinks....no one cares, then turn around and throw out Jon's name like what he thinks matters anymore than the next guy? That makes sense. The guy is merely giving his thoughts and I see no where in his post that he is worrying about what anyone thinks including Ben Brust. Lighten up.

I don't think it matters what Jon thinks, and I don't think Jon's opinion should carry any more weight than anyone elses. I'm honestly amazed how well he keeps his composure.

When you make a post like this it is the internet equivilent of "calling someone out". The OP called out Brust (yes I know it's not likely Brust will read it) in a public forum, I fail to see why he felt the need to make the statement at all. Again nobody cares that you allegedly "lost respect" for a kid in HS, why on earth would you make a post announcing that you have?

I don't think it matters what Jon thinks, and I don't think Jon's opinion should carry any more weight than anyone elses. I'm honestly amazed how well he keeps his composure.

When you make a post like this it is the internet equivilent of "calling someone out". The OP called out Brust (yes I know it's not likely Brust will read it) in a public forum, I fail to see why he felt the need to make the statement at all. Again nobody cares that you allegedly "lost respect" for a kid in HS, why on earth would you make a post announcing that you have?

ok... the lost respect part may have been quite a bit harsh.. as I stated, I realize the kid is in high school. But the problem that I have with this ordeal is that he made it a huge deal publicly through twitter and such that he was a "hawkeye".. he didn't say... "I'm a Lickliter"...Larson didn't make a big deal publicly, so that is why I don't have a problem with him reopening his commitment. If you are a "Hawkeye" you chose the school on more than just a basketball coach or a system, you chose it because it was a great place to be. I may be looking past a lot of things right now... but I would not have nearly the issue with it if he had just kept his mouth shut and not made such a huge deal himself.

I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up, and if it is in the b10 I will cheer for him as long as he is not playing Iowa... but it just makes you think that maybe some of these kids are allowed to sign loi's too early in basketball. Makes me not want the early signing period for football.

You ISU fans have this idea that it is bad for a guy or gal to wear Iowa gear to an ISU event. I've heard it before. I could care less when I see a person sporting ISU gear at an Iowa game. Could care less.

If you could care less why don't you? I think you meant you "couldn't care less". And Mesa is right...anyone who wears a rival school attire just to root against them in another game is a loser.

Ripping on decommits without knowing why they decommitted or anything involved with the process doesn't make a whole lot of sense and really reflects poorly on the fan and fanbase.

Let's be honest.....we are opening our arms for Melsahn Basabe. A decommit from Siena. Our gain...their loss. If we can find similar replacements for Ben and Cody...it will ease the sting of them leaving. In recruiting as in life...you win a few, you lose a few, and the rest get rained out.

Yes, I would blame the band kid. No part of being a Hawkeye was altered when the coaching staff was fired. So, would I not be a Hawkeye anymore because the coached resigned or retired. If you want to be a Hawkeye you are a Hawkeye, Brust apparently never wanted to be a "Hawkeye" he just wanted to play basketball, which is fine. But don't saying being a Hawkeye changes because coaches change.

How many out of state guys, with no prior ties to the university, do you think are "true Hawkeyes"? There aren't many. Once those guys get on campus, spend a couple years here, THEN they are really Hawkeyes. But they don't usually come here because they want to be Hawkeyes. They come because it's the best fit for them and their talents.

So get off your high horse. Iowa kids (or out of state guys like Marble, with strong ties) are the only ones who come here to be Hawkeyes. Everybody else comes to play ball, because it's the best fit for them.

Ripping on decommits without knowing why they decommitted or anything involved with the process doesn't make a whole lot of sense and really reflects poorly on the fan and fanbase.

I am the OP and I agree with this statement. You know Ben a heck of a lot better than I do as I have never met or talked to the kid.. so I may be way out of line. He is the one recruit (besides Marble obviously) that I felt really embraced what it means to the fans "to be a Hawkeye". And it is very hard to see him decommit, is there a chance he re-commits, doubt it. Would I welcome him if he did? Absolutely. I think there was an emotional attachment to him with the fan base because of his enthusiasm for coming to Iowa... and it is very difficult to see that broken.

Latest posts