Bruce Pearl's blank check

Do people actually think he would consider stepping down from Tennessee to take the Iowa job?

He would need to be a helluva recruiter to turn this thing around quickly.

I was at a coaching clinic he did back in the fall of 2008. He said that he wanted to come back to Iowa...but he couldn't leave UT after the chance they gave him to be a head coach at a BCS level school. People forget how far he had fallen in the coaching ranks....he's worked extremely hard to get where he's at.

There won't be a coaching change this off-season but come next year if the results haven't improved. I would imagine Barta goes after Bruce a little harder.

Tennessee wouldn't be able to match an offer like that because there is a clause in Pat Summit's contract that says she will make at least as much as the Men's basketball coach, or any coach on campus, I can't remember which it is, but I don't see how they could afford to pay two coaches that much when one of them probably isn't breaking even financially with their program at that salary. But they draw well, so I guess I could be wrong on the breaking even part, I guess. I do know that clause is there, however.

Do people actually think he would consider stepping down from Tennessee to take the Iowa job?

He would need to be a helluva recruiter to turn this thing around quickly.

He is that. Pearl is one of the best recruiters in the country. Just go look at his recruiting classes.

2006 #10 Rated Class
2007- Recruited just 2 players
2008 #18 Rated Class
2009- 1 commitment- Kenny Hall 11th ranked PF in country
2010- #5 Rated Class
2011- Will be highly ranked as well.

2011 Players
PG 13
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
Chris Jones
PG 10
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
Kevin Ware

I just can't see him wanting to leave Tennessee. He has a really good program in place down there.

Agreed. While I admire what he has done in his stops since Iowa and think his marketing skills would be essential to what is needed, I wonder whether he'd have the fire in his belly for rebuilding yet another program.

I just don't see him returning.

Tennessee wouldn't be able to match an offer like that because there is a clause in Pat Summit's contract that says she will make at least as much as the Men's basketball coach, or any coach on campus, I can't remember which it is, but I don't see how they could afford to pay two coaches that much when one of them probably isn't breaking even financially with their program at that salary. But they draw well, so I guess I could be wrong on the breaking even part, I guess. I do know that clause is there, however.

There is no such clause. Bruce Pearl currently is paid more than Summitt. She does make a lot of money at $1.3 million or so, but she is not the highest paid coach at Tennessee.

Remember when Duke[I never met a dishonest coach I did not like] Vital said Pearl said committed coaching suicide when Dion Thomas thing happened. I wonder if anyone has ever asked Duke about that.

All of this talk is unbelievable. Just because he was an assistant here a long long time ago do you really think he dreams of one day coaching at Iowa? IF he leaves Tenn. it won't be for Iowa. His next move will be bigger than Iowa. If we were going to land him it would have been when he was in Milwaukee. That train has left the station.

All of this talk is unbelievable. Just because he was an assistant here a long long time ago do you really think he dreams of one day coaching at Iowa? IF he leaves Tenn. it won't be for Iowa. His next move will be bigger than Iowa. If we were going to land him it would have been when he was in Milwaukee. That train has left the station.

Thats kind of my line of thinking as well, its not like he was born in Iowa or anything. He was an assistant for a few years.

He would be leaving one of the top programs in the country in Tennessee.

Heard it on the show this morning and wondered how much would it take to get Bruce Pearl to come to Iowa.

In all your arguments about why he would or wont come to Iowa very few of you are answering the OP question.

The correct answer is eleventy bagina dollars. "Bagina" is a very very large fictional number. Since the thought of BP ever comming to Iowa is fictional I thought it fit.

If we were going to land him it would have been when he was in Milwaukee. That train has left the station.

I personally believe that this is the right answer. If Bowlsby would've been willing to pull the trigger on Alford back in 2004 or 2005, I think Bruce Pearl could be our coach right now. Unfortunately, much like Bowlsby with Alford, I wonder how much Barta is going to remain loyal to Lickliter. I'm not convinced we'll be looking for a new coach any time soon, no matter what happens this year or next.

I would love to have Pearl coaching Iowa, I just don't think it will happen at this point. He turned us down 3 years ago, so I'm not sure what has changed since then to get us a different answer next time around.

I personally believe that this is the right answer. If Bowlsby would've been willing to pull the trigger on Alford back in 2004 or 2005, I think Bruce Pearl could be our coach right now. Unfortunately, much like Bowlsby with Alford, I wonder how much Barta is going to remain loyal to Lickliter. I'm not convinced we'll be looking for a new coach any time soon, no matter what happens this year or next.

I would love to have Pearl coaching Iowa, I just don't think it will happen at this point. He turned us down 3 years ago, so I'm not sure what has changed since then to get us a different answer next time around.

Agreed......And those who have stated that he is not coming and we need to move on.

Bruce also has a buyout of somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5M. So..., we buyout his TN contract -AND- pay the buyout on Lick's contract. I have no idea what that would set us back, but I would think a total between the two would be 3M plus.

Flip side- Bring Bruce Pearl in and the excitement goes through the roof for Iowa Basketball. I would think season ticket sales probably double right out of the shoot. I wouldn't be surprised if donations for the practice facility/CHA renovations take off.

Early season games that now draw more crickets than knitting blue hairs may come close to capacity.

If Iowa gets into a position again in the near future where it's looking for a coach Pearl would be my #1 choice

Jon ... The other morning you were pretty passionate about Bruce and giving him a blank check. You can't honestly think he would consider coming to Iowa? ... Remember, this is not even the same Iowa program from three years ago when he said 'thanks but no thanks.' It's worse (if that is even possible) ... Iowa is now in the position of mediocrity when it comes to basketball ... No proven, big-name coach is going to look at Iowa ... Iowa either lands another mid-major coach or recycles a coach who was let go someplace else ... Unfortunately, that is where we are ... And Barta's position of sticking with Lick is only going to bury the program even deeper ... Now, I think it is to the point the majority of fans just don't care anymore ... Lucky for Barta he can ride (and knows it) the football train. I guarantee you if the football program was struggling Barta would not be as smug as he is about his support for Lick ...

Why's that? He gave Bruce a look when Alford left. Pearl declined at that time.

it wasn't a real look imo. it was just to keep the fans from backlashing when they hired someone else. He said himself they offered just 1 coach and he accepted. therefore there was no offer for Pearl to turn down. Pearl was never a consideration for Barta back then.

it wasn't a real look imo. it was just to keep the fans from backlashing when they hired someone else. He said himself they offered just 1 coach and he accepted. therefore there was no offer for Pearl to turn down. Pearl was never a consideration for Barta back then.

Hard to extend an offer when the coach (Pearl) politely declines to even speak with you.

Latest posts