Bruce Pearl.....

I'm not saying he's a choir boy, but none of that screams to me to be a huge deal considering what goes on in college athletics. IMO, it's a lot of trumped up allegations and exaggeration. He's been caught violating rules tho and it's hard to shake that. On one hand, you want to compete and if you aren't pushing the rules to win, you aren't trying. The other hand, what he's been actually proven guilty of is pretty tame. I would have no issues with Pearl at Iowa. He was #1 on my wish list the last 3 coaches they hired.
I've always thought the same thing. I never thought his role in the Deon Thomas thing was that big of a deal, especially when you compare it to what Collins did. Certainly shouldn't have been blackballed from getting a head coaching job. My posting of allegations was just lists I could find, nothing which you would call major, when you compare it to what Illinois did then, or what so many blue bloods (and others) do now.

I've always thought the same thing. I never thought his role in the Deon Thomas thing was that big of a deal, especially when you compare it to what Collins did. Certainly shouldn't have been blackballed from getting a head coaching job. My posting of allegations was just lists I could find, nothing which you would call major, when you compare it to what Illinois did then, or what so many blue bloods (and others) do now.
It is a club, you don't betray a member of the club, even if they are guilty.

I Would take Pearl in a HEARTBEAT anyone saying otherwise is IMO flat out clueless. !!!! Dude can flat out coach and Recruit...

Tough to answer. My initial instinct is yes, it's worth it. If it's a death penalty kind of thing.. Then maybe not so much. Illinois got smacked down in the early 90's after the Deon Thomas thing.. But they didn't stay down for long. I could live with that. If the program basically died.. then NO. Pass.

Do you think Pearl broke through the ceiling you mentioned without cheating, or at least stretching the rules a bit? If he's doing this totally legitimately, then great and good on him. Based on his past in Tennessee, I have my doubts, though. I'm not sure how involved he was with what went on up there with the assistants. I'd like to be wrong.

Personally, I'd be happy with a program that can make the Sweet 16 here and there, maybe occasionally deeper, doing it "right". We aren't really that far away from that? But the question posed in this thread, though, is would you take a Pearl type of coach who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, yes or no. For me, it's yes. I have no real issue with it.

I'm with you - I also don't live for any sports team. It's entertainment, nothing more, really. Sucks when they lose but I don't let the world stop turning because of it. Win - and great!

Pearl is either cheating at Auburn and adding proof that it's hard to win if you dont cheat, or he's not cheating and that just means I would really want him. I just don't really care if a head coach looks the other way while people give kids money to play at a certain school. To me that's not some "moral compass" issue that I wouldn't want. Bringing in players who are criminals is a bigger deal to me.

Which is why it will never go away, so we might as well join the club.
NCAA is a "dirty" system with that much money floating around. Human nature can't refrain. Greed is too powerful.

There is too much $$$ to make a set of reforms that will be effective and enforced.

Where would the leadership for change come from? Not the coaches. Not the ADs. Not the presidents. Not the sportswear people. Not the big donors. Not the fans. Not the bowl games. Not the players. It is just a "dirty little secret" and probably will continue that way.

Try to stay clean or learn how to grease the wheels.

Pearl is either cheating at Auburn and adding proof that it's hard to win if you dont cheat, or he's not cheating and that just means I would really want him. I just don't really care if a head coach looks the other way while people give kids money to play at a certain school. To me that's not some "moral compass" issue that I wouldn't want. Bringing in players who are criminals is a bigger deal to me.

Agreed.

If I had to choose between A) cheat to get good players who are decent human beings or B) legitimately obtain guys that most others are passing on for "baggage" reasons.. Give me A every time.

Absolutely, did one person at Auburn gives a rat's ass about Pearl's past? No I don't think so. If we hired Pearl we might still be dancing.

Well, no. And none at Auburn had any issue with the cheating that occurred under Chizik either.

That's where I'm at. I'd take Pearl in a heartbeat... But I think that ship has long since sailed. He seems like an SEC guy now.

I don't think Iowa would hire him even if he was available and we had an opening, though.

He'll be in jail--NCAA "jail" at a minimum--before Iowa COULD ever have a chance to hire him.

He has two two Auburn assistant coaches get arrested, Chuck Person is already in jail, and the other isn't looking good. If half your staff is indicted or in jail within 6 months... I'm thinking things may not totally be on the up and up.

He may get his ring this year. His ring may be gone in a year or two.
This. How is he still coaching. You KNOW coaches set their assistants up as “fall guys”. Person’s family, and the other assistant, will prolly get $80K a year for life, under the table, from the same guy who paid Cam Newtons dad $180K, for being the “fall guy”.

Latest posts