Brody Brecht Will Be Two-Sport Iowa Athlete

Between Brecht and Morgan the Hawkeyes have a couple of very interesting baseball pitching prospects.

Coach Heller is a happy guy. He gets two players (Brecht & Ostrenga) and uses none of his scholarships.

I'm think two-sport athletes count against the scholarship totals of both sports.

At least it used to be that way so the revenue sports couldn't add extra student-athletes by bringing them in on baseball, track, etc. schollies.

I'm think two-sport athletes count against the scholarship totals of both sports.

At least it used to be that way so the revenue sports couldn't add extra student-athletes by bringing them in on baseball, track, etc. schollies.
Is baseball considered a revenue sport at Iowa?

Is baseball considered a revenue sport at Iowa?

No. But to guard against football and basketball teams "hiding" student-athletes on sports like track and baseball, the rule counted multi-sport student-athletes against scholarship totals for both sports. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Coach Heller is a happy guy. He gets two players (Brecht & Ostrenga) and uses none of his scholarships.

They count against football but not baseball scholarships.

Participants receiving athletic scholarships and playing in men's football, basketball, hockey, swimming/diving/water polo always count against those sports no matter what.

So you still can't hide football/basketball players on other squads, but baseball doesn't get dinged either. Since by rule Brecht and Ostrenga have to count against football, they cannot count against baseball (according to 15.5.9.7)

Capture.JPG

They do not count in baseball, so Heller is benefitting.

Capture1.JPG

Division 1 only gives out 11.7 scholarships per year so that would be really bad if a football player decided to play baseball and his scholarship counted against the 11.7.

Division 1 only gives out 11.7 scholarships per year so that would be really bad if a football player decided to play baseball and his scholarship counted against the 11.7.
See above. Doesn’t count count against baseball

After 2 weeks of workouts, Brecht hit 100.7 mph in the batting cage. He's listed as the #1 Big Ten prospect in the 2024 class.

After 2 weeks of workouts, Brecht hit 100.7 mph in the batting cage. He's listed as the #1 Big Ten prospect in the 2024 class.
That's unreal.

I've got one senior and two juniors going out. One of those juniors will never see varsity time. Pretty sure I'm going to have three freshmen pitching V this year and that's is the class that lost their 2020 season completely in Iowa during 7th grade. If we win 2 games it will exceed my expectations.

That's unreal.

I've got one senior and two juniors going out. One of those juniors will never see varsity time. Pretty sure I'm going to have three freshmen pitching V this year and that's is the class that lost their 2020 season completely in Iowa during 7th grade. If we win 2 games it will exceed my expectations.
The young guys can be a lot of fun if they have a good attitude. Losing sucks, but it's better than winning with assholes.

If you need pitching, I'll trade you 2 seniors with 3 years of varsity experience AND their parents for a box of balls...

...and you can keep the balls.

If you need pitching, I'll trade you 2 seniors with 3 years of varsity experience AND their parents for a box of balls...

...and you can keep the balls.
I hear you there. Honestly my current group of parents is great except for one. He's the junior who won't play and he's so terrible that it's obvious to anyone that playing time thing is a no brainer.

That said, the current freshman group is my kid's class and I've coached them their whole lives, and a fair number of them will play over the sophomore group who growing up unfortunately never had a dad or coach who played baseball (I hate it but it is what it is, not my fault). We'll see if any sophomore parents creep out of the woodwork complaining about it. I can hear the coach's kid thing coming already.

In my current four year group of kids, there's only two parents who played baseball though the end of high school, (and one of 'em is me), so most of the parents stay out of my way because they don't know what they're talking about. The other guy played for the same HS coach as me. But at the same time I wish I had more guys who grew up at least playing catch or something. I don't know about you, but as soon as I could stand up my old man and I were playing catch, and my own kid and I play on the daily during spring and summer. Team baseball aside, it's just fun playing catch period. I seriously get high schoolers who look like it's the first time they've thrown a ball.

I played one year of little league way, way long ago! I loved playing catch with my three sons. Two of them have sons of their own now and are active in baseball. My oldest grandson plays for his high school freshman team. The other two are in 8th and 6th grade in Des Moines area and playing as well. I really enjoy watching them play!!!!

Latest posts