Brody Brecht Will Be Two-Sport Iowa Athlete

ssckelley

Between Brecht and Morgan the Hawkeyes have a couple of very interesting baseball pitching prospects.

ohhawk

Coach Heller is a happy guy. He gets two players (Brecht & Ostrenga) and uses none of his scholarships.

RobHowe

Administrator
I'm think two-sport athletes count against the scholarship totals of both sports.

At least it used to be that way so the revenue sports couldn't add extra student-athletes by bringing them in on baseball, track, etc. schollies.

ohhawk

I'm think two-sport athletes count against the scholarship totals of both sports.

At least it used to be that way so the revenue sports couldn't add extra student-athletes by bringing them in on baseball, track, etc. schollies.
Is baseball considered a revenue sport at Iowa?

RobHowe

Administrator
Is baseball considered a revenue sport at Iowa?

No. But to guard against football and basketball teams "hiding" student-athletes on sports like track and baseball, the rule counted multi-sport student-athletes against scholarship totals for both sports. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Fryowa

Administrator
Coach Heller is a happy guy. He gets two players (Brecht & Ostrenga) and uses none of his scholarships.

They count against football but not baseball scholarships.

Participants receiving athletic scholarships and playing in men's football, basketball, hockey, swimming/diving/water polo always count against those sports no matter what.

So you still can't hide football/basketball players on other squads, but baseball doesn't get dinged either. Since by rule Brecht and Ostrenga have to count against football, they cannot count against baseball (according to 15.5.9.7)

Capture.JPG

They do not count in baseball, so Heller is benefitting.

Capture1.JPG

ssckelley

Division 1 only gives out 11.7 scholarships per year so that would be really bad if a football player decided to play baseball and his scholarship counted against the 11.7.

Fryowa

Administrator
Division 1 only gives out 11.7 scholarships per year so that would be really bad if a football player decided to play baseball and his scholarship counted against the 11.7.
See above. Doesn’t count count against baseball