Brock Harding More Comfortable in Year 2

Brock is going to have a strong sophomore campaign. Hopefully a breakout year. I think the only way he does not start is if Fran concludes that playing Dix at the point gives him too good of a match-up advantage given Dix's size and shooting range. I lean towards starting Dix at the 2, but arguments can be made both ways. It will sort itself out in practice and early games.

I'm with you, I think there has been way too much doubt about Brock. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people with his skill set. I am thinking that his main competition isn't Dix though as I think Josh is going to be on the court as much as humanly possible at the 2. Drew Thelwell, I think, if things break right is going to be Brock's biggest competition at the 1.

Can't wait to see Brock run the team

He had a few WOW passes last season and they were just a glimpse of what is coming

I am rather Upbeat about this season

:cool:

I don't have any doubts about his ability to effectively run the offense. He is quick, a great passer, protects the ball, and is a passable outside shooter from the sample size we have seen. If he can make his defense more like Gessell and less like Bohannon, we got ourselves a true PG to get excited about.

I'm with you, I think there has been way too much doubt about Brock. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people with his skill set. I am thinking that his main competition isn't Dix though as I think Josh is going to be on the court as much as humanly possible at the 2. Drew Thelwell, I think, if things break right is going to be Brock's biggest competition at the 1.
They will complement each other, confuse opponent’s offenses, and provide fresh legs. Good.

I don't have any doubts about his ability to effectively run the offense. He is quick, a great passer, protects the ball, and is a passable outside shooter from the sample size we have seen. If he can make his defense more like Gessell and less like Bohannon, we got ourselves a true PG to get excited about.

His D is better than one would think

He plays a similar style to Gabby Marshall

Hands up following the ball and feet planted to prevent drive byes

Not as noticable as shot blockers but effective

Last edited:
I like what I am hearing. During the exit interviews, he was one of the guys that was vocal about that they need to be better defensively. Automatically, it tells me he gets it…but I am not sure if that 100% translates…because he will never be a lockdown defender.

That's a fair and favorable comparison. I enjoyed watching Gabby play more than Brock. :)

Naaaah, Gabby was the best lockdown defender on the team. The comp is Josh Dix, not Brock Harding. Harding will never be a great defender, but he has to be smart, be able to anticipate passing lanes and get steals. Good point guards will be able to work him, but doing the little things defensively will keep him on the court.

I love that in recent interviews, he is talking about how he and the team have to be better defensively. As I stated before, he gets it…now make it translate on the court.

I had the delightful opportunity to watch Brock and Owen take Moline to the Illinois big school BB title.
(I live very close to the Quad Cities).

Owen was coming on, no doubt, but Brock was the proverbial straw in the drink.
He was the consummate floor general.

He'll explode this year. No doubt.

Last edited:
Naaaah, Gabby was the best lockdown defender on the team. The comp is Josh Dix, not Brock Harding. Harding will never be a great defender, but he has to be smart, be able to anticipate passing lanes and get steals. Good point guards will be able to work him, but doing the little things defensively will keep him on the court.

I love that in recent interviews, he is talking about how he and the team have to be better defensively. As I stated before, he gets it…now make it translate on the court.
Harding might have the best change of direction quickness of any player in the Fran era. That might be one of the most important qualities for a good defender. I'm not sure why you think he can't be a good one.

Harding might have the best change of direction quickness of any player in the Fran era. That might be one of the most important qualities for a good defender. I'm not sure why you think he can't be a good one.
He's short.

Gabby is 5'9. That's like 6'3 for a dude. Brock aint even 6 foot with sneakers on.

I think Brock can be an effective defender, but being that short is always going to be an issue when he has to guard longer PGs who also have good lateral movement.

He's short.

Gabby is 5'9. That's like 6'3 for a dude. Brock aint even 6 foot with sneakers on.

I think Brock can be an effective defender, but being that short is always going to be an issue when he has to guard longer PGs who also have good lateral movement.
True, but guarding a tall and quick point guard is always an issue for everyone. Fortunately there aren't many of them.

I just remember the B1G tournament and the OSU point guard with the thick lower body and big rear end was able to back him down and do whatever he wanted. Harding adding 10 lbs. of muscle isn’t stopping that.

Watch Dix as an on-the-ball defender and then watch Harding, even if he was 6’3, he would never be that type of defender.

I just remember the B1G tournament and the OSU point guard with the thick lower body and big rear end was able to back him down and do whatever he wanted. Harding adding 10 lbs. of muscle isn’t stopping that.

Watch Dix as an on-the-ball defender and then watch Harding, even if he was 6’3, he would never be that type of defender.
Watch Harding play defense. He constantly has his head on a swivel and is telling everyone what to do. It just seems like he sees the game quicker than everyone else. And that's at both ends of the floor. If he's here for 4 years, he's going to rack up a shit ton of steals. Quick anticipation and quick hands. That's not to say you're not right on certain mismatches in one on one situations being an issue. He's not the total package.

He's short.

Brocks also like 160-165 lbs I think. Unless he's put some on since he got there he's just not a very big guy. For reference he's about the same size as Caitlin Clark. I bet they are within 10 lbs of each other.

BJ Armstrong was like 6'2 175 when he left Iowa back in the late 80s. Guys have started muscling up since then. Skinny guys like Ja Morant can obviously play well but it helps him that he's taller and longer then Brock.

I hope Brock can be a solid impact player for us. I'm just not sure if he'll ever be a 30 plus min a game guy. I think he'll have an awesome highlight reel before he's done and that'll be fun to see. But I'm not gonna expect him to end up being a huge star.

BH will be the best PG Iowa has had since Gessel, which isn't exactly saying anything or setting the bar real high... but IMO, Iowa can win that way and BH has a heck of a lot better supporting cast IMO then MG. Just overall talent across the board, BH will have a better team to distribute to

Brocks also like 160-165 lbs I think. Unless he's put some on since he got there he's just not a very big guy. For reference he's about the same size as Caitlin Clark. I bet they are within 10 lbs of each other.

BJ Armstrong was like 6'2 175 when he left Iowa back in the late 80s. Guys have started muscling up since then. Skinny guys like Ja Morant can obviously play well but it helps him that he's taller and longer then Brock.

I hope Brock can be a solid impact player for us. I'm just not sure if he'll ever be a 30 plus min a game guy. I think he'll have an awesome highlight reel before he's done and that'll be fun to see. But I'm not gonna expect him to end up being a huge star.
I know I've mentioned this before but the small white guard from Purdue is very similar size to Harding and we would kill to have him on our team. Obviously size is a huge advantage, but there are exceptions. A non Chicago team winning a state title is unheard of. He is the main reason why. Even with Freeman on the team he was the guy to get the rewards.

BH will be the best PG Iowa has had since Gessel, which isn't exactly saying anything or setting the bar real high... but IMO, Iowa can win that way and BH has a heck of a lot better supporting cast IMO then MG. Just overall talent across the board, BH will have a better team to distribute to
Well it kinda is saying something. I assume you consider JBo a pg and say what you want about him he sure did some things out there. I'm rooting for the kid I'm all about how he plays. I just hope he can hit from outside consistently and D up to an effective enough level to justify playing him alot.

Now JBo played a ton despite his defensive deficiencies and that was cause dude could shoot. So if BH can do that better then he's shown so far I think that'll go a long long way towards him playing more. Sure his handles and passing is great but he's gotta be able to knock em down too.

Latest posts