Brock Harding More Comfortable in Year 2

Watched Harding and Thelwell match up for a short while at practice yesterday. They went at it pretty good and it looked fairly even in the short sample size. Drew has a lot of experience with Harding probably having more room to grow as a player.

It doesn't matter who starts, Iowa needs effective play from the position. And if those guys struggle, Fran will not hesitate to move Dix over there again.

I prefer Dix at the 2-guard. I just want him(Dix) hunting for shots on the offensive end and being a lockdown defender on the other. Of course I expect Dix to get spot duty at the point, but if he is logging heavy minutes at the point, it means there is a major fail with the Harding/Thelwell combo. IMO, you need the Harding/Thelwell combo to work.

Last edited:
I prefer Dix at the 2-guard. I just want him(Dix) hunting for shots on the offensive end and being a lockdown defender on the other. Of course I expect Dix to get spot duty at the point, but if he is logging heavy minutes at the point, it means there is a major fail with the Harding/Thelwell combo. IMO, you need the Harding/Thelwell combo to work.
Dix, Sanfort, and Freeman might be one of the best 2 3 5 combos in the league. That's a pretty good start to a good team. That leaves the 1 and the 4 where we need to be at least somewhat good. If that point guard combo does work, Fran should have no issues at all filling the other 3/4 spot. He always seems to have plenty of those guys.

ding ding ding.

This may be the clincher for Harding starting. Connor started solely because he was the best post feeder in the game and Garza was a generationally great scorer from the center position. The combination was too good to not play even if Connor suffered from a few deficiencies like not being able to hit the broad side of a barn from beyond 6 feet.

If this team is going to be anything but average, Owen Freeman has to become an all-conference type player. His chances of doing so increase with Harding on the court.
Good call. Yeah Garza needed CM to maximize getting the touches he got. Feeding the post seems easy enough but for some reason it's a lost art. JBo wasn't bad at it either but he was just shorter and smaller then CM which just made it a little tougher for him to do. CM made it into an art form almost. Hopefully our guards can do the same for Freeman

100%. I think we saw how tough it was for him to handle extended PG duties a few times and that didn't go well... Can he bring it up a few times a game? Ok sure but as far as having him do it for 4 min stretches or more that'd be a bad idea. He's a 2 and they should use him as such

100%. I think we saw how tough it was for him to handle extended PG duties a few times and that didn't go well... Can he bring it up a few times a game? Ok sure but as far as having him do it for 4 min stretches or more that'd be a bad idea. He's a 2 and they should use him as such
Dix is also one of our best perimeter defenders, so I would prefer he save some energy to lock down the other teams shooters. PG requires more mental and physical exertion as you have the ball in your hands a lot more.

Yeah Koch is being looked at as a taller Joe Wieskamp kinda sorta.. If that ends up being the case that'll be awesome. Tadjo looks like Tyler Cook reincarnated. I don't think he has much range on his shot but he's got hops and can defend and rebound.

It would be great to have another Reggie Evans under the boards. Sounds like we may have a couple possible players who won’t be pushed around.

Watched Harding and Thelwell match up for a short while at practice yesterday. They went at it pretty good and it looked fairly even in the short sample size. Drew has a lot of experience with Harding probably having more room to grow as a player.

It doesn't matter who starts, Iowa needs effective play from the position. And if those guys struggle, Fran will not hesitate to move Dix over there again.

It’s no big secret that the guard spot has been a weakness for Fran. Hopefully we can finally turn the page on that.

It’s no big secret that the guard spot has been a weakness for Fran. Hopefully we can finally turn the page on that.
I think he has three good ones, maybe more depending on how you classify the Sandford bros. I like Thelwel, Dix, and Harding. I wish they had one or two more quick guards though.

Dix, Sanfort, and Freeman might be one of the best 2 3 5 combos in the league. That's a pretty good start to a good team. That leaves the 1 and the 4 where we need to be at least somewhat good. If that point guard combo does work, Fran should have no issues at all filling the other 3/4 spot. He always seems to have plenty of those guys.
An article at iowa rivals (the name keeps changing) predicted a starting five of those three plus Thelwel and Traore. Sounds pretty salty to me, and leaves a lot of firepower on the bench with P Sand, Koch, and Harding. I'm optimistic, as every fan should be before the season starts. Plenty of time for suffering later.

An article at iowa rivals (the name keeps changing) predicted a starting five of those three plus Thelwel and Traore. Sounds pretty salty to me, and leaves a lot of firepower on the bench with P Sand, Koch, and Harding. I'm optimistic, as every fan should be before the season starts. Plenty of time for suffering later.

Ok, your last two sentences made me laugh. Let’s hope you’re not a Nastradamis

Its gonna be hard to keep Koch out of the starting line-up. That said, he seems to have the exact same game as both Sanford boys, so it may be too crowded at that 3/4 hybrid position. Koch is going to play a lot.

I agree that starting 1 and 4 will be very interesting battles and especially the 4 spot may change several times as the season goes along.

Its gonna be hard to keep Koch out of the starting line-up. That said, he seems to have the exact same game as both Sanford boys, so it may be too crowded at that 3/4 hybrid position. Koch is going to play a lot.

I agree that starting 1 and 4 will be very interesting battles and especially the 4 spot may change several times as the season goes along.
Sandfort can also play the 4 if we ensure up with a really good 3.

Sandfort can also play the 4 if we ensure up with a really good 3.

Payton and Freeman were tied at averaging 6.6 rebounds per game. A lot of that had to do with Iowa being a bad rebounding team and Freeman‘s inability to avoid foul trouble. Payton can do the heavy lifting at the 4 if he needs too, we have all seen it. I just want to see Payton jacking up shots and being the overall leader of the team. If he is asked to be the leading rebounder AGAIN and do the dirty work, then there is a problem.

Perhaps Fran should start recruiting in South Sudan

Took a basket by LeBron James with 9 seconds left in the game against
South Sudan to go up by one

South Sudan came close to making the winning basket with 3 attempts under the basket failed

Damn they were playing the cream of the NBA crop

Payton and Freeman were tied at averaging 6.6 rebounds per game. A lot of that had to do with Iowa being a bad rebounding team and Freeman‘s inability to avoid foul trouble. Payton can do the heavy lifting at the 4 if he needs too, we have all seen it. I just want to see Payton jacking up shots and being the overall leader of the team. If he is asked to be the leading rebounder AGAIN and do the dirty work, then there is a problem.
I think he'll get some help on the boards from a couple of the new guys, I agree he should be freed up to concentrate on scoring more.