Brian's Quote: "If this is my last season as Iowa's OC, I'm at peace with that."

He was also very short and said something like "we didn't make many changes to the offense, we just have to block better". First of all, I totally agree that any offense we try to run won't work if we don't block better. Also, last year he said they overhauled the offense and we didn't see much of that. I don't think the philosophy will change, but I don't believe him that they aren't making changes. We have the same OL and not much for receivers, but our RB's and TE's are going to be really good, along with a QB like we haven't had in a while. If we can block and get anything from our receivers, we're going to have a pretty good offense. (I can't believe I just said that...)

How many years now have Brian and Kirk blamed our horrific offense on "execution" (translation: "Not on us. It's the players fault.")
Is it a surprise we struggle to recruit HS and Portal talent? Who wants to go to a program where you will be thrown under the bus by your coaches?

I somewhat get it if KFer said something like this since he's had a lot of success here. But BFer hadn't had any. If I was him, I would have said something like, "we haven't met my expectations either and we're doing everything we can to get much better."

Honestly I'e had enough of all of this badgering of BF. Lets just play ball. He's never going to satisfy anyone. Anything he say will be scoffed at or mocked. enough

Their big mistake was standing pat after 2021 when they needed help up front. believing that they could develop the guys they had, then the guys they had werne't good enough and other guys got hurt.

the passing game sucked and WR's said so long and now its a reputation

How many years now have Brian and Kirk blamed our horrific offense on "execution" (translation: "Not on us. It's the players fault.")
Is it a surprise we struggle to recruit HS and Portal talent? Who wants to go to a program where you will be thrown under the bus by your coaches?
That is simply not true, SC. Yes, our coaches, just like I have heard every other Power 5 coach say, is that lack of execution is often a heavy contributor to a loss. Not a big secret. What does every coaching staff see as their priority? Scouting report + reps = best execution possible. That means coaches are not blaming players. They are saying that we as coaches are responsible for teaching execution. I don’t think I have ever heard our coaches blame players. I don’t know where the hell you came up with that. Then you double down and say players don’t want to come here. Good Grief. You may want to consider this piece of sage advice: “When you look down and your horse is dead, dismount.”

He was also very short and said something like "we didn't make many changes to the offense, we just have to block better". First of all, I totally agree that any offense we try to run won't work if we don't block better. Also, last year he said they overhauled the offense and we didn't see much of that. I don't think the philosophy will change, but I don't believe him that they aren't making changes. We have the same OL and not much for receivers, but our RB's and TE's are going to be really good, along with a QB like we haven't had in a while. If we can block and get anything from our receivers, we're going to have a pretty good offense. (I can't believe I just said that...)
I thought BF sounded pretty defensive. He sure did not want to talk about changes on the O. Kept saying that we know who we are and how we want to perform. Barely seemed to consider “tweaks” at all. I concluded that he was saying, “all in“ on KF’s program and it’s history. Yes, he confirmed that we need to block effectively if we want to improve. Thanks, Brian. I also thought the guys doing the interview gave him some opportunities to expand his thoughts and BF just ignored them. I was really disappointed in his interview. Watch Phil Parker. Watch our special teams coordinator LeVar Woods. What a contrast.

I hold out limited hope that Brian will be successful. That would be the best thing for Hawkeye football’s future. I don’t hate on the guy. I know he believes he is doing his best. He sure has not had an abundance of talent at the skill positions, especially at QB. But the O line failure is a total mystery.

For some guy who's making what, a cool million + a year he should damn well at least take the time to at least craft some kind of answer that would pacify the crowd. The fact he can't even do that doesn't bode well for his future beyond having daddy get him a job and protect him. A D1 head coach needs to be an administrator and evaluator of coaching as well as athletic talent. Beyond him being a long-term position coach I don't see him moving up in the world, unless Kirk is determined to have Brian succeed him. God help us all if that happens. Brian ain't got it.

Honestly I'e had enough of all of this badgering of BF. Lets just play ball. He's never going to satisfy anyone. Anything he say will be scoffed at or mocked. enough

Their big mistake was standing pat after 2021 when they needed help up front. believing that they could develop the guys they had, then the guys they had werne't good enough and other guys got hurt.

the passing game sucked and WR's said so long and now its a reputation
It’s been the reputation for at least a decade

The media lobbed a softball at the OC, asking him what his message to fans would be.

“I don’t have a message to them,” he said.

We fans are hungry for something--anything--to help us accept the double down decision to stay the course coming off a season of the second worst offense in D-1, and he blows us off. Classy, real classy.

Hoping the Hawks go 12 & 0, with Phil Parker's D pitching all shutouts & contributing 2 safeties each game, & LeVar Woods' special teams getting us into field goal range each game for Drew Stevens to give us an "Iowa Touchdown" for each W.

End result: Great season AND a new OC!

The funny thing is that one argument for Brian over the years was that he could push back against a stubborn Kirk because Kirk is going to listen to him. But the last 2 years I don't see Brian pushing back against anything. He is either out of ideas or daddy won't let him try anything new.

Having a bottom offense is not the Iowa way. I am appalled that nothing has been done about it. With all the big ten money coming in you could at least get Bryan some help. But no, nothing done to fix it.

I must admit this story link does help add more context to the "If this is my last year as Iowa OC, I am at peace with that" comment.

Sounds like that started out as a question about if Iowa is up 24-10 with 2 minutes left, Is Brian content to run out the clock? Brian's response was basically he was at peace with that, just running out the clock even if it means it will be his last year as the OC.

Although with Brian, it's not always clear what his point is, so I still might have it wrong.

Having a bottom offense is not the Iowa way. I am appalled that nothing has been done about it. With all the big ten money coming in you could at least get Bryan some help. But no, nothing done to fix it.
They paid an outside consultant $1 million to help Brian a year ago so there’s that. Recruiting has literally never been a ferentz thing. And you say having a bottom level offense isn’t the iowa way. It may not be the “iowa way”, but way more times than not, it most assuredly has been the “ferentz way”

He’s the worst OC in all of P5 football, has been for years, keeps his job when any other person would've been fired long ago, and because he’s so terrible at his job and keeps his job he is open season for any and all badgering. If you shit in your own bed and your dad allows you to lay in it as long as you want, you deal with the consequences.

Hawk football is bigger than Brain Ferentz. Tons of people pay tons of money to come out and support the team they've loved for decades, and they still do, in spite of the crappy performance...I'm sorry but that buys them the right to hammer on BF and Kurt for keeping him. Hayden Fry for all his critics brought moxy and respectability to a corpse of a football program long before Brain was shitting his Huggies. This isn't his program to ruin and it's time for him to have the keys taken away.

He’s the worst OC in all of P5 football, has been for years, keeps his job when any other person would've been fired long ago, and because he’s so terrible at his job and keeps his job he is open season for any and all badgering. If you shit in your own bed and your dad allows you to lay in it as long as you want, you deal with the consequences.

Hawk football is bigger than Brain Ferentz. Tons of people pay tons of money to come out and support the team they've loved for decades, and they still do, in spite of the crappy performance...I'm sorry but that buys them the right to hammer on BF and Kurt for keeping him. Hayden Fry for all his critics brought moxy and respectability to a corpse of a football program long before Brain was shitting his Huggies. This isn't his program to ruin and it's time for him to have the keys taken away.

wow. that's pretty well put. can't argue with it.