Brian isn't going anywhere

LeVar woods getting poached to a coordinator job somewhere else will be orders of magnitude worse for Iowa football than anything Brain has done to the Hawkeyes at this point.

Can we put this narrative to rest. One last time, this is Kirk's livelihood. He coaches to win, not to give the fans and state the finger. Do you think he has time when game planning for the next opponent or when Brian goes through the play sheet to stop and think "OK, let's see how I can give the fans the finger this time?" If the boosters have his back, as opposed to Chryst at Wisconsin, then good for him for having the instincts and foresight to see where the bread is buttered.

In a post millennial world where people demand change at the first sign of adversity, Kirk stands out like a dinosaur. This, along with his smugness and control of local media, is what really gets under people's skin.

If you don't like it, don't attend, don't watch, and dont post. Or if you post at least change the narrative. There are more legit issues to criticize Kirk on than this one.

I'm a little baffled why there's so much optimism about Iowa's offense next year.
There are certainly no difference-makers arriving to bail out the O-line, and we saw little to no progress from that group over the course of last year, even tho by the end of the season many of the 1st-time starters had 13 games under their belts. Why would we expect anything different during games 14-16?
We lost one of our two best WRs, with no new WRs arriving expected to make a difference.
We lost the #2 and #3 RBs -- granted, probably not that hard to replace, but still.
We lost our best TE. Yes, a couple decent ones return, but none an All-American like the departed.
Does anyone think QB McNamara, coming off major knee surgery, is going to be especially mobile? I don't.
At best, I see largely a replay of the 2022 season.
Few are expecting the offense to take a jump

With the people we have coming back on the other side of the ball it may not have to.

If we get solid LB play our d may be better than last year. Harris may be better than Moss, Nwampka may be better than Merriweather.

First of all I've spent a good amount of money on Iowa Football whether it be season tickets, tailgating Iowa gear.
Second of all I'll post when or what ever the hell I want.
Apparently any opinion that isn't your's, you feel the need to inflict yours. I guess if there is a post that annoys you skip it and go to the next that gives you the warm fuzzies. And yes it's Kirks smug in your face type attitude that my post was meant for. I've given plenty respect and at a boy's to KF over the years but BF staying in place when all you would of needed is a top 100 offense the last couple years with the special teams and defense Iowa has had to have something special compared to the mediocre display that has been on the field is a direct reflection on him. If fans want to point to poor o-line performance, or telegraphed plays that never work and poor QB play that is also on the captain. I'm realistic enough to know Iowa's never going to win a NC but not ignorant enough to believe we shouldn't be competing for big w titles. Where do you think the program will be when USC and UCLA get here. Are you really that naive to believe we're going to compete with the mentality Kirk is displaying?

I'm a little baffled why there's so much optimism about Iowa's offense next year.
There are certainly no difference-makers arriving to bail out the O-line, and we saw little to no progress from that group over the course of last year, even tho by the end of the season many of the 1st-time starters had 13 games under their belts. Why would we expect anything different during games 14-16?
We lost one of our two best WRs, with no new WRs arriving expected to make a difference.
We lost the #2 and #3 RBs -- granted, probably not that hard to replace, but still.
We lost our best TE. Yes, a couple decent ones return, but none an All-American like the departed.
Does anyone think QB McNamara, coming off major knee surgery, is going to be especially mobile? I don't.
At best, I see largely a replay of the 2022 season.
I am baffled by our failure to utilize the portal to shore up obvious weak spots in critical positions.

WR: Iowa lost two starting 4* WR's who transferred out to P5 schools. There are over 100 4* and 3* WR's in the 2023 portal. From this pool of available transfer talent, many of whom are still uncommitted, Iowa brought in one FCS WR (who has no star rating) as the "replacement".

OL: Iowa had possibly the worst OL in the B10 last year. Again, dozens of P5 OL in the transfer portal. We brought in one DII OL and one MAC OL.

Pretty weak showing by a B10 program. Not going to be enough to move the dial, in my opinion.

The big stories will be: What will the impact be in recruitment with Iowa’s laughingstock offense to remain in place? Why were we not successful in the transfer portal for O line and receivers? What is the actual potential for O line improvement, given little or no personnel changes from 2022? What will the team‘s level of confidence be in BF? What impact might the court case have? How much will the decisions KF made in regard to staff erode his trustworthiness among alum supporters? What impact will the national media’s response have on player confidence and recruitment? How much will opposing recruiters use Iowa’s O as a punching bag?

I guess we shall see. I am not encouraged about 2023.

BTW. If anyone thinks fan pressure in regard to reduced attendance on Saturdays will have an impact, well, forget it.

leslie-nielsen-liar.gif

Gary Barta: Brian is totally qualified as OC...he was a O-lineman you know, it was player issues on offense, don't worry about the details....everything is just fine.

Honestly the biggest problem is the offensive line. No quarterback, wide receiver or coach is going to make a difference until the offensive line improves exponentially. The current staff (Brian and Kirk) should be able to fix that. That being said the offensive line has been bad for awhile now and they haven’t found any answers. Fix the offensive line and you can make the offense average. Make the offense average and you have a shot at competing for a national championship. It’s a long shot but it’s a shot. We will most likely miss Jack. Not sure how you replace someone like him. Every other position ( offense and defense) we should have equal or better players available.

Honestly the biggest problem is the offensive line. No quarterback, wide receiver or coach is going to make a difference until the offensive line improves exponentially. The current staff (Brian and Kirk) should be able to fix that. That being said the offensive line has been bad for awhile now and they haven’t found any answers. Fix the offensive line and you can make the offense average. Make the offense average and you have a shot at competing for a national championship. It’s a long shot but it’s a shot. We will most likely miss Jack. Not sure how you replace someone like him. Every other position ( offense and defense) we should have equal or better players available.
Regarding the O Line, I think this nails it. We are going to have to see improvement from the returning pieces and have some contributions from the portal additions. If we get even average O Line play it makes us a lot better offense. What I would like to see at a minimum is some consistency. Will that happen? That's the $64 question.

First of all I've spent a good amount of money on Iowa Football whether it be season tickets, tailgating Iowa gear.
Second of all I'll post when or what ever the hell I want.
Apparently any opinion that isn't your's, you feel the need to inflict yours. I guess if there is a post that annoys you skip it and go to the next that gives you the warm fuzzies. And yes it's Kirks smug in your face type attitude that my post was meant for. I've given plenty respect and at a boy's to KF over the years but BF staying in place when all you would of needed is a top 100 offense the last couple years with the special teams and defense Iowa has had to have something special compared to the mediocre display that has been on the field is a direct reflection on him. If fans want to point to poor o-line performance, or telegraphed plays that never work and poor QB play that is also on the captain. I'm realistic enough to know Iowa's never going to win a NC but not ignorant enough to believe we shouldn't be competing for big w titles. Where do you think the program will be when USC and UCLA get here. Are you really that naive to believe we're going to compete with the mentality Kirk is displaying?
The narrative that he would put mediocre product on the field or on the staff just to stick it to the fans is so asinine to assume that I will double down, triple down, even meet you personally to discuss it.

It's BULLSHIT, and so is your take.

Have you ever thought that sometimes we lose or look mediocre because the other team or other coaches are simply better?

Or do you think your place as a paying supporter entitles Kirk to kiss your ass?

Think about it.

I am baffled by our failure to utilize the portal to shore up obvious weak spots in critical positions.

WR: Iowa lost two starting 4* WR's who transferred out to P5 schools. There are over 100 4* and 3* WR's in the 2023 portal. From this pool of available transfer talent, many of whom are still uncommitted, Iowa brought in one FCS WR (who has no star rating) as the "replacement".

OL: Iowa had possibly the worst OL in the B10 last year. Again, dozens of P5 OL in the transfer portal. We brought in one DII OL and one MAC OL.

Pretty weak showing by a B10 program. Not going to be enough to move the dial, in my opinion.

I'm not baffled. This is collateral damage of the offensive showing for the last two years. The Iowa name is tarnished. We used to speak about reputational risk. We're past that and on to consequences.

The narrative that he would put mediocre product on the field or on the staff just to stick it to the fans is so asinine to assume that I will double down, triple down, even meet you personally to discuss it.

Have you ever thought that sometimes we lose or look mediocre because the other team or other coaches are simply better?

Or do you think your place as a paying supporter entitles Kirk to kiss your ass?

Think about it.
Knew it! You'd reply! To easy! I'm entitled to have know one kiss my ass nor will I ever kiss anyone's either. But you couldn't see the light anyway because your head is so far kirks ass because your an apologist for him. Part of the Ferentz pr dept I'm guessing. Hell could be BF himself. Please reply because it's a given and I definitely like fishing. Especially when they are biting. And far as Kirk putting a mediocre product on the field because of his my way system... Damn fucking right he does. Proofs in results and his decision to stay with his son as OC. If fucking Barta would have had nuts we wouldn't be even having the conversation because BF wouldn't have been hired for the position no matter what conflict of interest bullshit they say doesn't exist.

Knew it! You'd reply! To easy! I'm entitled to have know one kiss my ass nor will I ever kiss anyone's either. But you couldn't see the light anyway because your head is so far kirks ass because your an apologist for him. Part of the Ferentz pr dept I'm guessing. Hell could be BF himself. Please reply because it's a given and I definitely like fishing. Especially when they are biting. And far as Kirk putting a mediocre product on the field because of his my way system... Damn fucking right he does. Proofs in results and his decision to stay with his son as OC. If fucking Barta would have had nuts we wouldn't be even having the conversation because BF wouldn't have been hired for the position no matter what conflict of interest bullshit they say doesn't exist.
One. More. Time. (Let me go slowly so you can follow along)

Kirk. (Are you with me so far?) Will never have a fancy, bells and whistles, please the @Ben Rumson of the world offense when he knows he has an elite defense and superior special teams/kicking game. (Try to keep up if you can). It's not because he has Barta or the boosters or anyone else by the balls that he chooses to do this. It's because he knows most opposing offenses can't drive the length of the field time after time on these defenses.
I don't always like it either. But who do you think is going to come in here and do better? At least your starting to admit that he's stubborn (which he is) vs another tired take on how he coaches to give all of us rubes the finger. Only a self absorbed little narcissist twit would think that Kirk coaches solely to shove it up said twit's tan track. So good job for starting to come around. Didn't know if you had it in you.

Last edited:
Did anyone really think BF was going anywhere? Gets paid big time and has a guaranteed contract as long as Kirk is the HC. Kirk might be getting players from the transfer porthole, but he is still Kirk….

Think about it.
Wow. I'd agree except how close Iowa has been to putting it together. The few missing pieces are typically so bad it doesn't make sense. Until now.

Wow. I'd agree except how close Iowa has been to putting it together. The few missing pieces are typically so bad it doesn't make sense. Until now.
Everyone knows that Brian led offenses are near the bottom in yardage.

That's because our defense and special teams frequently give them offense short fields as much as anything else.

It you were to go by points (and I don't care how they're scored) we are usually closer ro the middle of the pack.

What the detractors don't pay attention to is the statistics that probably aren't even kept track of, but win us games.

For example, how much yardage do we gain on exchanges of punts?

That stuff counts and it wins us games.

Everyone knows that Brian led offenses are near the bottom in yardage.

That's because our defense and special teams frequently give them offense short fields as much as anything else.

It you were to go by points (and I don't care how they're scored) we are usually closer ro the middle of the pack.

What the detractors don't pay attention to is the statistics that probably aren't even kept track of, but win us games.

For example, how much yardage do we gain on exchanges of punts?

That stuff counts and it wins us games.
Yes and one year it was an incredibly bad punter. Several years it was the qb with a better one on the bench.
This year an avalanch on one side of the ball.

Charlie Jone not playing much.

Oh well...

Well... When you put it like that.

As far as WRs go Iowa did swing and miss on some targets. It wasn't because of a lack of effort this yr anyway. Getting WRs to come is just a tough sell and It's easy to see why.

OL I'm just not as up on knowing who all was out there and that we may have tried and failed to get. But an upgrade from center across the right side was/is needed.

Yeah QB and TE are the only ones they can hang their hats on. Granted pretty big gets for sure. But the OL and WR positions have been net negatives and still are until proven otherwise. The staff doesn't get any benefit of the doubt on them.

I felt the window was missed prior to the year before... I thought they should have evaluated Petras & Padilla more heavily then and worked to have brought in a QB from the portal prior to the 2022 season. For whatever reason they were pot committed to Petras and weren't going to replace him. And this is me giving Petras some benefit of the doubt. Nobody could have been impressed with how well he did his sophomore yr starting either. Maybe they were slow to jump on the portal train in that regard I dunno. But that domino to me lead to where we are.

BFer getting some financial accountability-

"Brian Ferentz’s annual pay has also been reduced from $900,000 to $850,000. If his offense meets the designated performance objectives, the offensive coordinator “will be entitled to a one-time lump sum bonus of $112,500, payable no later than Feb., 1, 2024.” Additionally, Brian Ferentz’s base salary will be $925,000 beginning Feb. 1, 2024 if the benchmarks are back."