Brian Ferentz Survivor Show

The delusion will fade after this week when we have under 50 yards. Once we’re clearly out of the West race it’ll be grim.

On the flip side (I'll do anything to make myself feel better at the moment), if it wasn't Iowa (or someone very much like Iowa)...
There likely wouldn't be any attention.
It would get noted by local media and the local media of any opponent.
It would get noted nationally during any coverage or recap of a game with against a notable opponent like Penn St. (maybe)

But, if this was happening at any number of schools it would get zero attention outside of local coverage.
Certainly nobody outside of Utah would know if it was happening at Utah St.
Probably not a lot of conversation if it was happening somewhere like Kansas.
And nobody outside the Big 10 Network would really be talking about it if it was say Northwestern or Rutgers. Or maybe even Indiana or Illinois?

For it to receive the attention it gets, it has to be a quality enough program with some relevance for it to merit anything more than a mention.

Goonga goonga galunga. Goongala goonga.
So we got that going for us.

Which is nice.
It all comes down to Iowa’s defense from here on. The defense is not as good as it has been in the pass let hope it improves. also it will come down to turnovers when we play Wisconsin & don’t sleep on Minnesota either where not very good and anyone can beat us we don’t have a dominant D anymore.

It all comes down to Iowa’s defense from here on. The defense is not as good as it has been in the pass let hope it improves. also it will come down to turnovers when we play Wisconsin & don’t sleep on Minnesota either where not very good and anyone can beat us we don’t have a dominant D anymore.

No defense was as good as last year. I say that in all honesty. I don't think there's ever been a more complete and robust defense than last year's Iowa team.

The only technical difference is the gaudy #s of picks and pick 6s. The defense last year SCORED. A lot. And allowed the fewest yards per play in the KF era.

And yet, it still seems aggravating because they seem to give up first downs. And let the other team drive the ball. But yet, the numbers don't lie. The other teams (not named PSU) just don't score all that much.

I'm going to avoid using yards/game....because that's not fair. The opposing offenses just get too many more chances.

Iowa rush defense: 3.58 yards allowed per play, which is inside the top 30. Only 1 rushing TD allowed
Iowa pass defense: 8.41 yards allowed per completion, which is second ONLY to Oregon
Total scoring defense: Iowa is 17th in allowed points per game. Top 15 if you remove the Liberty's, Air Forces, etc.

Iowa has 7 picks
14 teams have 8
Ohio (not OSU) has 9
ISU has 10
Oklahoma has 12
Liberty leads the way with 13

I'll go on record and say that when you look at the data meaningfully and in proper context, Iowa's offense is easily in the top 10. Or better. Including a passing defense that's as good as any. Except Oregon.

Throw in, again, that they are on the field longer and face more plays than most teams?

This is probably statistically the second most complete Iowa defense in KF era history. At the moment.

I had a hemorrhoidectomy 5 days ago so I thought it was pertinent to bump this thread. Getting rid of Brain makes me think of him as an Iowa football hemorrhoid… annoying and miserable to the point you are willing to deal with worse pain in your life to get rid of it. Last few seasons have been so painful to watch I would have to compare it to the first bowel movement after surgery. Anyone that has had this surgery knows exactly what I mean. I have to have faith that it will be worth having a better functioning prettier asshole in the long run.

Latest posts