Brian Ferentz 'Stadium Experience is Lacking'

There's a couple things wrong, and I agree with Brian Ferentz.. I think this is more a shot at the Gameday Experience than the fans itself.

1. The product on the field is BORING. Lets face it, there's nothing excited about watch the Iowa TEAM. We run a very watered down Offense that's BARELY D-1 level and is schemed dating back to 1946. There's no quick hitches, no spreads, no sweeps, reverses.. just NO BIG plays. We've had 1 this year, and that was the Damond Powell WR screen that went the distance.. but other than that, when's the last time you can remember a huge play or a player making a huge play? Also, on Defense we're pretty plain jane.. sure we've got a great Defense and some good talent, but it's not a group that makes a lot of big hits, interceptions or sacks. They've got nice plays here and there, but it's not aggressive. And what ever happened to the Special Teams that had Field Goals and Punts Blocked on what felt like the regular?

2. The Entrance is old and outdated.. check some of these;
VT: Best Entrance in ALL of College Football - YouTube
Clemson: Clemson's Dramatic Stadium Entrance Will Give You CHILLS - YouTube
SC: Best College football entrance plus Sandstorm - YouTube

Yeah, I love AC/DC and I like Back and Black but for goodness sakes, can't we change it or update it?

3. No fun gimmicks to get the crowd into the game.. I HATE seeing Wisconsin do "Jump Around" but it works pretty stinkin well.. Jump Around - Wisconsin vs Nebraska - Full HD - YouTube
- It actually makes me sick watching videos like this seeing how amped other stadiums get and when I go to Kinnick, I constantly have to sit down for the fans that refuse to stand up..

MY PROPOSAL: The University of Iowa needs to start playing this and using this as a GIMMICK... DJ Kool - Let Me Clear My Throat - YouTube
Who doesn't enjoy this song? And it gets you moving.. I'd LOVE to see this every home game and use this.

Maybe a good start would be that those who manage the game day experience think things through a bit more. Putting a bunch of RED pom-poms in the hands of the home crowd when Wisconsin is in town doesn't seem like the wisest choice.

Spot on. Pretty common sense... but one the marketing group failed to think of.

What a bunch of negative fans. Hey we might not always be happy with what we see at the game but still show up and cheer. I think a great home crowd is worth 7 points--probably more since it is Wisconsin. I want to go to a bowl game so get to the game and make some noise. Save your negative comments until after the game

So according to your math... if the game was in Madison we would have scored 2 points? ... :)

Ha... overall just tells you where the program is at... and where we - as fans - are at.... where in (what should be) the crucial portion of the season... we are talking about the "game day" experience... I am guilty as well...

The entire band music selection needs to be set on fire. Its terrible. Lets update to this century please. Same goes for the PA music.

I disagree about the entrance--the VT one and the Clemson ones were Gameday night games, and were no more exciting than the Iowa entrance for the OSU game in 2005, which was a Gameday night game. And while I love the Clemson rock, the sight of players in full uniform being 'bused' to the game was kind of goofy. For us, it's all about the timing. A few years back, everything happened quickly, one thing right after the other. The tunnel walk/Back in Black then the field rush/Enter Sandman. It was every bit as exciting as VT's when done correctly. Only it's NOT done correctly any more. Back in Black goes on way too long, there's a lull, then Enter Sandman, and by then the crowd has died a bit. I think TV has somehow screwed this up, and I admit it's not the same as it once was. But it's still pretty good, if not great, when done correctly. I think the band could do more--like form a 'tunnel' for the players to run through--and Herky needs to be revamped. But the traditional entrance still has potential.

Agree 1000%. I love marching bands, but the HMB doesn't excite me much. They need to be more like the Ohio State Band. tOSU doesn't need some stupid pregame video with semi trucks, because they have the coolest pregame show in college football. Also, they played a little cheer at every single stoppage of play. I also think the HMB could be bigger, maybe by as much as 100.

Of course, If the team wins games, then this is moot.

This has everything to do with product on field. The price really are not much to overcome. but the recent record at Kinnick is pathetic. Hard to get jacked up about another fake punt/ Central Michigan come back/northern Illinois come back/no offense ... flat 2nd halves ...

meanwhile in Iowa City

8005398-LAS-IOWA-PURDUE-FOOTBALL-11_10_2012-16.48.16.jpg

Having been to Kinnick for the first time this weekend, I wasn't impressed. I go to school at the University of Tennessee and our stadium experience blows Kinnick's out of the water. I'm a lifelong Hawk fan, but if we ever want to have more successful recruiting classes the stadium experience has to get better.

Having been to Kinnick for the first time this weekend, I wasn't impressed. I go to school at the University of Tennessee and our stadium experience blows Kinnick's out of the water. I'm a lifelong Hawk fan, but if we ever want to have more successful recruiting classes the stadium experience has to get better.

I've lived in Nashville since 2000.
SEC atmospheres (outside of Vanderbilt and Kentucky) seem to be some of the top in the nation.
Kentucky was good when they were winning, and they travel very impressively (30K plus) when their football team goes to bowl games.

It seems at SEC stadium, you don't need to force feed audio sound, etc. during the game.
The crowd noises and the volume of the bands are always impressive.

What a bunch of negative fans. Hey we might not always be happy with what we see at the game but still show up and cheer. I think a great home crowd is worth 7 points--probably more since it is Wisconsin. I want to go to a bowl game so get to the game and make some noise. Save your negative comments until after the game
You bet-im gonna get to the game and make some noise -cause you want to go to a bowl game-lame