Brian Ferentz 'Stadium Experience is Lacking'

Heck when i was a kid the guy who coached mens softball all the way down to pee wees was the bar owner. It is where the legacy was born. If there was a game in town, the whole town showed up. The saying goes dont defecate where you eat. That seems to be the problem here. You want younger and louder fans like in the 70's? Look at what changed. We stunk back then, so it was not winning.

The band can be a powerful weapon. A few years ago in a basketball game at OSU, A Buckeye band member was using a cymbal to reflect the lights into the eyes of the Hawkeye shooting free throws. Took a while to figure it out. Go figure.....

:rolleyes:

OSU's band probably has a better offense that our football team.

I'm disapointed that any Iowa coach is spending 1 second thinking about stuff like this.

I wish Brian was more like his father and spent the majority of his time trying to figure out how to get more money from the athletic department.

And....seriously....all of this supposed peripheral "lacking" is causing Iowa to stagnate at home and lose?

Seriously?

C'mon.

I gave Brian props for the tweet because it is lacking.

I also want to chastise him because the key ingredient to offensive football on any scheme or play call is blocking. It is so often overlooked because the majority of folks look only at the positions that involve handling and receiving the ball.

Down one score with a fourth and 1 at the 35, game on the line in the third quarter and we actually go for it which is great. The play call is a run to the left side which is our strength and we cannot get back to the line of scrimmage. Zero push up front. That says a lot about this programs o-line and what one of the biggest issues is.

Whenever Wisky needs 2 yards or less against Iowa they hand the ball and get it and this goes back to the 2010 game. They are able to because they have superior offensive lines.

So you want to fix the game day experience having a great o-line for once, not just great tackles, will make a huge difference and that comes down to your position group. So tweet out that you take full responsibility for the inferior offensive line product and are going to study the best programs in this conference year in, year our to see what they are doing from a personnel standpoint (size & physicality) and blocking schemes. Then you go to the head coach with the changes in recruiting and blocking schemes that are needed.

Last edited:

I also want to chastise him because the key ingredient to offensive football on any scheme or play call is blocking. It is so often overlooked because the majority of folks look only at the positions that involve handling and receiving the ball.

Down one score with a fourth and 1 at the 35, game on the line in the third quarter and we actually go for it which is great. The play call is a run to the left side which is our strength and we cannot get back to the line of scrimmage. Zero push up front. That says a lot about this programs o-line and what one of the biggest issues is.

Whenever Wisky needs 2 yards or less against Iowa they hand the ball and get it and this goes back to the 2010 game. They are able to because they have superior offensive lines.

So you want to fix the game day experience having a great o-line for once, not just great tackles, will make a huge difference and that comes down to your position group. So tweet out that you take full responsibility for the inferior offensive line product and are going to study the best programs in this conference year in, year our to see what they are doing from a personnel standpoint (size & physicality) and blocking schemes. Then you go the head coach on the changes in recruiting and blocking schemes that are needed.

Well, offensive line is the only position that we have recruited well the past few years.

So you want to fix the game day experience having a great o-line for once, not just great tackles, will make a huge difference and that comes down to your position group. So tweet out that you take full responsibility for the inferior offensive line product and are going to study the best programs in this conference year in, year our to see what they are doing from a personnel standpoint (size & physicality) and blocking schemes. Then you go the head coach on the changes in recruiting and blocking schemes that are needed.

We have the best offensive line coach in the world and the best strength coach in the universe...this cant be it

Maybe a good start would be that those who manage the game day experience think things through a bit more. Putting a bunch of RED pom-poms in the hands of the home crowd when Wisconsin is in town doesn't seem like the wisest choice.

So you want to fix the game day experience having a great o-line for once, not just great tackles, will make a huge difference and that comes down to your position group. So tweet out that you take full responsibility for the inferior offensive line product and are going to study the best programs in this conference year in, year our to see what they are doing from a personnel standpoint (size & physicality) and blocking schemes. Then you go to the head coach with the changes in recruiting and blocking schemes that are needed.

Lemme get this straight. You say you like the call to go for it on 4th & 1, you liked the call because it's to our strength (running), and it's behind the guys we trust (the left side of the line). But when we don't get the first down, it's the coaches fault?

Imma confused. The coaches make the rigt calls and the players didn't get it done (or the Wisky D did-his verb you wanna say it), buuuuuuuut, it still comes back in the coaches?

You're f'n crazy man.

Lemme get this straight. You say you like the call to go for it on 4th & 1, you liked the call because it's to our strength (running), and it's behind the guys we trust (the left side of the line). But when we don't get the first down, it's the coaches fault?

Imma confused. The coaches make the rigt calls and the players didn't get it done (or the Wisky D did-his verb you wanna say it), buuuuuuuut, it still comes back in the coaches?

You're f'n crazy man.

Look if you are an apologist just come out and say it. I will not give you a hard time about that. It is your right.

Bottom line is we have to be able to get a yard when the game is on the line. The offensive line and running game is the best thing we can possibly do but our inability to get a yard in that situation demonstrates to me how mediocre this strength within our program truly is within the context of our own league. If the situation was reversed do you think Wisky gets the yard? I like our defense but they get it every time. That is a difference in our ability to move the football and score points against any team with a pulse and that falls back on this position group coach and the head coach who is supposed to be an o-line wizard.

I think he means that the product on the field sucks, the rent-a-cops are morons, the sound and video selections are straight out of Napoleon Dynamite, and the fan base is increasingly geriatric.

Other than that, Kinnick f'n rocks.

I think he means that the product on the field sucks, the rent-a-cops are morons, the sound and video selections are straight out of Napoleon Dynamite, and the fan base is increasingly geriatric.

Other than that, Kinnick f'n rocks.

You forgot the part about the coaches using the same gameplan for 15 yrs and the fact that 50 fake punts and kicks have been converted against IA but coaching has no impact on the game day experience I guess.

You forgot the part about the coaches using the same gameplan for 15 yrs and the fact that 50 fake punts and kicks have been converted against IA but coaching has no impact on the game day experience I guess.

That's all included under "product on the field."

Look if you are an apologist just come out and say it. I will not give you a hard time about that. It is your right.

Bottom line is we have to be able to get a yard when the game is on the line. The offensive line and running game is the best thing we can possibly do but our inability to get a yard in that situation demonstrates to me how mediocre this strength within our program truly is within the context of our own league. If the situation was reversed do you think Wisky gets the yard? I like our defense but they get it every time. That is a difference in our ability to move the football and score points against any team with a pulse and that falls back on this position group coach and the head coach who is supposed to be an o-line wizard.

Normally I don't respond to the trollioliilliolls, but you're obviously special, so I'll respond to this one...

You obviously missed the 4th & 1 Iowa converted in the first quarter. They did score points off that drive.

You must've missed the four 3 & outs the Hawkeye defense forced on the Wisky offense in the first quarter (wisky's first 4 drives, in fact). And before you even ask; yes, that's the same Wisky offense that can "get the yards whenever they need to".

I know, I know... Facts can be stoopid.

As for atmosphere, there's a fine line between tradition and staleness. I like ENTER SANDMAN and BACK IN BLACK, since they clearly get the crowd pumped, but the other vintage rock songs (the Rolling Stones songs, any other AC/DC) probably have to go. They played a new 4th quarter break hip-hop song (I don't know the name myself) that did a nice job in firing people up--they should probably keep it! And the EMPIRE theme after a 3rd down stop seems to still work.

The band's interludes are weak and unimaginative. They need more drum cadences (like the I.....O.....W......A....I-O-W-A...I-O-W-A...etc), and rhythmic chants (what ever happened to DEFENSE! DEFENSE! ??). The halftime shows are stuck in the 80's. The band and the PA fight for attention. The canned music on 3rd down is utterly unneeded and rather low-class. The Kinnick speech is, unfortunately, a bit of a downer, and has also has gotten stale. Herky riding out on the surf-board thing is goofy, and he can't even truly plant the flag anymore. We need a live Hawk or something to fly down from a perch and land on Herky's arm with a close up of its beak dripping blood or something. (OK, so that's extreme, but Herky has really gotten lame).

We never need to hear SWEET CAROLINE again. Nor HEY JUDE (which seems to have been retired, thankfully).

But there are only so many songs one can play, and I credit us for at least trying to play more current stuff--but they have sometimes fallen flat.

The scoreboards look too commercial to me. The stat lines are too small.

Some of these criticisms are kind of picky, and in fact I overall like our gameday experience. But they could change up a few things and it might help. Also FEWER games where we dictate the color to wear, please. There should be ONE a year, and it should be the striped black and gold thing. Any other game, it should just be assumed to wear black or gold.

And yet, with all of the above, if we were 8-0 or even 7-1 right now, no one would be mentioning any of this at all.