Brian Ferentz OL Coach and Levar Woods LB Coach

I agree that Brian will be able to talk to KF like no other coach,which is a good thing!
I mean I don't expect animosity of course, but he'll be able to say in private convo "Dad I think we should do this" and it's not like Kirk would fire his son...so no possible repercussions there

Not to mention how cool would it be to coach with your dad?! Very cool for father-son and entire family!

I mean I don't expect animosity of course, but he'll be able to say in private convo "Dad I think we should do this" and it's not like Kirk would fire his son...so no possible repercussions there

Not to mention how cool would it be to coach with your dad?! Very cool for father-son and entire family!

Well I hope it doesn't work out like Paterno and Paterno. I pray that our Offense puts up more points than those State College bozos did the past decade at PSU.

Well I hope it doesn't work out like Paterno and Paterno. I pray that our Offense puts up more points than those State College bozos did the past decade at PSU.

Although I do genuinely get your point (not necessarily how you made it) like Iowa, PSU has won a lot of games this past decade, so I guess I’m okay with it…….not all too concerned about how many points per we average or where we rank… in fact I’m more concerned with how many we give up…..

Last edited:
Great moves! Operation young gun Ferentz's has begun - Hopefully the newest version of the Stoops brothers :)

Those photos in the Gazette article of both LeVar and Brian are cool.
How similar these two new coaches are"
Both Iowa natives.
Both were captains.
Both won all big ten honors.
Both won the Heartbeat Award.
Both had NFL careers.

That photo of Brian on Senior Day brings back memories of that 2004 PSU game at State College that Iowa won 6-4, on the week of KF's dad's passing and the shot at the end of the game with Brian and James hugging KF...now,Brian will be coaching James, with Steve on the roster also...Iowa football is truly a Ferentz family affair.

I think we all have our answer once and for all on KF's intentions to finish his coaching career at Iowa.
Totally agree with everything you said. It also looks like Kirk has given his son a foot in the door as a possible replacement for when he retires, and right now, I don't think I have a problem with that.

Last edited:
I just hope Brian is paid enough that he doesn't have to move back into section 8 housing at Pheasant Ridge.

Totally agree with everything you said. It also looks like Kirk has given his son a foot in the door as a possible replacement for when he retires, and right now, I don't think I have a problem with that.

Good grief, I hope not. Terrible idea.

It might not be in 8 years. I said "foot in the door as a possibility", not that it will happen.

If his last name wasn't Ferentz, you wouldn't be saying this.

Bad idea to make someone head coach because of who his dad is. I shudder to think of the Iowa BB program had Keno Davis been named coach...which is what a lot of people on this board wanted.

i have said it before. at some point bf will be up for the job as hc and i believe lw would be his dc. before that happens i see parker leaving as a hc and soup leaving as a hc at other colleges. i believe kf will coach past his current contract and hand off the reins to his son. dont compare it to tom and keno because keno only coached under daddy. bf played for a little bit in the pros, coached in the pros and was very well respected there at a young age.

soup, parker, ferentz, woods are going to show that kf has a good coaching lineage. not as large as hayden, but be honest no other coach i know of has the lineage of hayden in football. i dont even think the greats like bryant, paterno,etc. have created as many good to great head coaches as hayden.

If his last name wasn't Ferentz, you wouldn't be saying this.

Bad idea to make someone head coach because of who his dad is. I shudder to think of the Iowa BB program had Keno Davis been named coach...which is what a lot of people on this board wanted.
Just saying what a lot of people are thinking. At this point, you have no idea how great of a coach BF might(or might not) turn out to be. I'm thinking he'll turn out pretty good. We just have to see how things go over the next decade. I didn't want Keno Davis, and I want Kirk's replacement to be the best man for the job, whatever his last name is. If BF does well here, I'm thinking he will be one candidate of many for the job.

I've got to believe that it wouldn't really matter if or where BF coached on the next several years. I think he has the desires and amplify to become a headcoach someday.

Being under his father's guidance and tutoring will only help in his grooming and development, which is a nice advantage for Brian as well. When the time comes for a new HC, the Iowa AD would/will probably give a serious look to BF regardless of where his training had taken place based on his lieneage and alma mater alone.

In the meantime, we just benefitted from hiring an ex-NFL position coach with a strong young resume from a storied powerful franchise, to come and greatly add to our program, coaching in an area that we should/can be very solid at...oh, and he can add extra by the nature of being able to "talk" to the HC, in a way that any of the other staff cannot. Strong hire. Bravo!

I've got to believe that it wouldn't really matter if or where BF coached on the next several years. I think he has the desires and amplify to become a headcoach someday.

Being under his father's guidance and tutoring will only help in his grooming and development, which is a nice advantage for Brian as well. When the time comes for a new HC, the Iowa AD would/will probably give a serious look to BF regardless of where his training had taken place based on his lieneage and alma mater alone.

In the meantime, we just benefitted from hiring an ex-NFL position coach with a strong young resume from a storied powerful franchise, to come and greatly add to our program, coaching in an area that we should/can be very solid at...oh, and he can add extra by the nature of being able to "talk" to the HC, in a way that any of the other staff cannot. Strong hire. Bravo!

In addition to all of these fine points he will also be an outstanding recruiter.

Latest posts