Brian Ferentz = Big Failure

OkstHawk

Wow...jury is back after full deliberation. Dude sucks, bad. Can we all at least agree that BF was a terrible hire? It is pretty hard to be worse than Greg Davis but he's been way worse. Hey Brian, you had one great game, one competent game, and nine crap games. You ain't cut out for this kid...sorry you had to learn this while holding the keys to a D1 program that used to have some pride.

i don't know that i'd say bf is way worse than gd. our offenses were functionally beaten because of the route trees in that offense. brian is all over the road and doesn't appear to have an actual philosophy. that is a big problem. so i would give brian a D grade.

Thing is, the o-line is a train wreck. A good o-line can make a mediocre OC look like a genius. Conversely, a bad o-line can make even a genius like O'Keefe look incompetent. So there's just no telling how good The Brain is as an OC. I think we can all agree that bince he was o-line coach for a long time and left nothing in the pipeline and our line is horrendous this year, he surely shoulders some of the blame for that and is prolly a dog crap o-line coach.

Iowa people are nice, it is demonstrated in inviting an inexperienced and ill-prepared junior coach to learn on the job, in a demanding and complicated position... while Iowa rebuilds...and rebuilds...and rebuilds...

The whole notion of playing a 1st half and a 2nd half is that somewhere along the line our God damn coaching staff makes adjustments. Why do we continue to watch our staff do the complete opposite of what's expected? I'm so sick and tired of the good old Captain chewing his gum, writing in his notebook, and clapping to will some encouragement, when he should face facts, and, step aside. BF is exactly the same. WTF worked against OSU confirms to me that this team is cliche in every aspect; precictable, makes no adjustments poor clock management, etc....maddening to watch, and even more maddening thst it continues each week....

Anyone that thought the BF hire was a good one has there head buried in the sand. All anyone has to answer for themselves is if he didn't have the Ferentz name, and KF hired him would you think it was a good hire, or he was a qualified candidate? No OC experience, and an O line that has regressed under him. KF has one goal, and that is to set up his family. That is it. The BF hire is pathetic.

You know what makes this coaching staff better? Bring in more people with the last name Ferentz. James has to be looking for a job now, right? Mary can be the person who finally gets Kirk out of his stunborn ways....

Wow...jury is back after full deliberation. Dude sucks, bad. Can we all at least agree that BF was a terrible hire? It is pretty hard to be worse than Greg Davis but he's been way worse. Hey Brian, you had one great game, one competent game, and nine crap games. You ain't cut out for this kid...sorry you had to learn this while holding the keys to a D1 program that used to have some pride.

Sorry, can't hang this one on Brian. Unfortunately, this one was shared across the whole staff. And of course, the players did THEIR part...

Big 10 isn't the place to get on the job training for a defense/offensive coordinator usually....that's what the MAC or Sunbelt conference is for.

Phil Parker had never been a DC in major college FB I dont think but he always had the longtime training from Norm who was great except sometimes stubbornly not blitzing some on third and long.

I don't think Brian's issue is X's and O's. I have seen some semblance of innovation - earlier in the year.

The issue with Brian in my opinion is that he is a bombastic loudmouth that is unable to garner support of those he leads - ya - I know I'm speculating on a few points of data. But there it is

Don't worry, Kirk will give him five more years before he hires some other seventy year old reject that won't do worth a crap either!

I think that anyone who believes Brian got the job for any reason other than he's the son of the head coach is practicing real self delusion. Those same people will continue to practice that self delusion when he's named head coach himself some day in the future. Unfortunately I'm about 95% sure that's what will happen.

Nothing that has happened this season is out of the ordinary for Iowa football. Kirk has always had a penchant for winning a game nobody thinks his team can while also during the same season losing a game to a putz. He has a real gift of getting his teams to play to the level of their competition; I can't explain it. This is a typical Iowa football season in my view. Iowa under Kirk is essentially a 7-5 program. Want to know how many times they've won at least 10 games in the last 13 seasons? Twice. Check out what Wisconsin has done over the same period, it'll depress you. I still say Kirk is living off the fans memories of 2002-2004; he's never come close to that kind of sustained success since.

You can blame Brian but the fish rots from the head; until Kirk is gone and an entirely new philosophy comes into the program this is what you will have. I doubt you'll get that kind of fresh look if his kid takes over though and that's almost certainly what will happen. Hey, Hawkeye fans are used to 7-5 so it will be an easy transition.