Brewster news swirling

:confused:Makes no sense to announce it like this. So if they win how many games does that give him, until next Friday's article?:confused:

Just fire him and get it over with. How stupid..

I've heard that rumor, also.........At this point in his life I just don't think he wants to do it. 5 or 6 years ago maybe, but not now.

I agree that being a college head coach would be a grind - all the recruiting year-round would get old, IMO.

This makes me think about how close we were to a similar situation at the end of 2007. Thank god our AD kept his cool and didn't listen to the idiots out there that were drinking the Marty&Miller/Keeler Kool-aid.

There's a long list of teams that fired a successful coach in wanting to go from good to great (Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa St., Nebraska to name a few), only to make huge leaps backwards.

Makes you think how close and similiar the situation was for KF. hahahaha. Not even remotely close. :rolleyes:

KF wasn't going anywhere unless he was the one who wanted to leave. That wasn't even on our AD's radar.

I think Farley from UNI would be a good coach or somebody like that. If there are no Minny alums then go for somebody with Minny ties that's at the FCS level.

They tried the "salesman" and that failed. They need to go for substance now. (Didn't the sweater coach at Youngstown State? )

We all know where there is smoke, usually a fired coach close behind. Reminds me of the Lick deal last spring,altho that happened in a flashfire.

Mason was solid,and Minny made the same mistake that ISU did when they fired DannyMac...unrealistic expectations.

Hiring coaches is a crapshoot,which is why you have to get it right the first time,and then hang in there with guys that are average like Mason and McCartney
The revolving door is even more expensive than some mediocre seasons...often you never get lucky with the new hires. Which is why KF is golden for Iowa,and worth every single penny they pay him. When you look at the procession of coaches at ISU and Minny over the years,always chasing a KF type guy,paying buyouts,losing recruiting momentum...brutal. Iowa is in danger of that syndrome in BB,which is why I think that Fran has a really long leash this time...at least 5 plus years before he has any heat.

Who are the five Big Ten coaches in trouble?

Brewster- yes.
Dickrod?- possibly,but just do not think they want to go thru the hiring process again
Lynch?...nah...good recruiting class and they do not want to buyout his deal
Zook? nah...he bought himself a couple of years with his new coordinator hires.
JoePa- probably.

I think the Minny and PSU jobs will be open. Minny better get hiring right now,cus that PSU job is way better.

Makes you think how close and similiar the situation was for KF. hahahaha. Not even remotely close. :rolleyes:

KF wasn't going anywhere unless he was the one who wanted to leave. That wasn't even on our AD's radar.

Exactly. The outside press would have you think KF was in some kind of trouble but they are completely clueless...KF was never in a hint of trouble. BB and Barta are no brain surgeons but they know what they have in KF...gold standard.

Denard buys RichRod another year and should. The conference is going to be wide open next year.

I don't know if it was deeply considered, but it was certainly on the radar. Barta didn't hire Ferentz, we were coming off 3 straight middling years punctuated by a home loss on senior day to a MAC team that knocked us out of a bowl. On top of that there was the laundry list of criminal allegations that was punctuated by the sexual assualt case that went public the week before the W Mich game. Later, the media published letters that accused the athletic department and the university of attempting to cover up the assualt. Then throw in the "highest paid state employee" BS.

There were lots of people (many in Black and Gold) that were calling for heads to roll. They were stupid and dupped by Marty and Miller and Sean Keeler, but they were starting to gain steam.

Thankfully, in 2008 noses were kept clean and the results on the field improved. But there was a time in 2007 that Ferentz was on the hot seat.

Denard buys RichRod another year and should. The conference is going to be wide open next year.
Don't bet on it. UM's new AD is a true "Michigan man" and is looking to dump Rodriguez. Barrring a victory over OSU or 9-10 wins I doubt RichRod is there next year. They are chomping at the bit to bring Harbaugh in.

Barrring a victory over OSU or 9-10 wins I doubt RichRod is there next year.

Well I don't see that happening. I think they can get to 4 wins in conference and go bowling but anything more is asking too much when playing without a defense.

Not sure about the AD, you may be right. I don't know. I don't doubt the fans want Harbaugh though.

I don't know if it was deeply considered, but it was certainly on the radar. Barta didn't hire Ferentz, we were coming off 3 straight middling years punctuated by a home loss on senior day to a MAC team that knocked us out of a bowl. On top of that there was the laundry list of criminal allegations that was punctuated by the sexual assualt case that went public the week before the W Mich game. Later, the media published letters that accused the athletic department and the university of attempting to cover up the assualt. Then throw in the "highest paid state employee" BS.

There were lots of people (many in Black and Gold) that were calling for heads to roll. They were stupid and dupped by Marty and Miller and Sean Keeler, but they were starting to gain steam.

Thankfully, in 2008 noses were kept clean and the results on the field improved. But there was a time in 2007 that Ferentz was on the hot seat.

KF was never on the Hot Seat in 2007 by those that make firing decisions at the University of Iowa. Not even remotely close to being accurate. Give it a rest.

I don't think firing Mason was the moronic thing. Hiring Brewster was the moronic thing IMO.

Mason was a good motivator and could game plan pretty well but his in game generalship was pisss poor.

I disagree. If he could have ever put together a defense, Minnesota could have been a very good team. He had some pretty solid OLs and RBs during his time there.

How do you know it wasn't even remotely close?

The only person who thought he was on the hotseat was Steve Deace - when he predicted KF to be fired in his college football production before the 2008 season. Only a moron would think he was close to getting the boot.

Could be as many as 4 to 5 new coaches in the Big Ten next year, might as well get a headstart.

How hot is the seat for Mark Richt at Georgia? I think he would be terrific hire if Georgia let him go.........He is a southern guy, not sure if he would have an interest in coming North.

Because they (Georgia) have a new AD.

:confused:Makes no sense to announce it like this. So if they win how many games does that give him, until next Friday's article?:confused:

Just fire him and get it over with. How stupid..

I would agree; no reason to make things even worse. If his players didn't respect him before, they certainly won't now.

The only person who thought he was on the hotseat was Steve Deace - when he predicted KF to be fired in his college football production before the 2008 season. Only a moron would think he was close to getting the boot.

Okay, just to clarify, I never thought it was likely that he would get fired. However, there was a growing population of Hawkeye fans that were at least questioning if he was the right coach. I will further add that I was one of the guys who was calling these people morons.

That being said, if you went back to the beginning of 2008, before Shonn Greene had the best rushing season in Iowa history, before we got our swagger back, and before we started this ridiculous run we've been on since Penn. St./08, there was a real chance (say 10-15%) that KF could have been fired after '08.

I disagree. If he could have ever put together a defense, Minnesota could have been a very good team. He had some pretty solid OLs and RBs during his time there.

Mason put together some VERY good rushing offenses. I recall one year, when they were undefeated, that they gave up a BIG lead to Michigan in teh Humpeydome. That, to me, signaled the end of the Mason era.

He could've won the b10 title that year, but after that game, if my crappy memory serves me correctly, they imploded.

Mason put together some VERY good rushing offenses. I recall one year, when they were undefeated, that they gave up a BIG lead to Michigan in teh Humpeydome. That, to me, signaled the end of the Mason era.

He could've won the b10 title that year, but after that game, if my crappy memory serves me correctly, they imploded.

Minnesota had something line a 28 point lead in the 4th quarter, if I remember right.

It's weird how things are cyclical. Mason got fired because he went 7-5 and to bowl games like the Music City Bowl every year. The Brewster Era has been a complete disaster, but 7-5 probably sounds pretty f'n sweet to Gopher fans right now.

Okay, just to clarify, I never thought it was likely that he would get fired. However, there was a growing population of Hawkeye fans that were at least questioning if he was the right coach. I will further add that I was one of the guys who was calling these people morons.

That being said, if you went back to the beginning of 2008, before Shonn Greene had the best rushing season in Iowa history, before we got our swagger back, and before we started this ridiculous run we've been on since Penn. St./08, there was a real chance (say 10-15%) that KF could have been fired after '08.

You say you never thought is was likely but claim he was on the HOT SEAT to be fired. Was it because of the fans that caused you to think he was on the HOT SEAT? The bottomline is this 340. KF was not even remotely close to being on the HOT SEAT by the people that mattered.
That is what your missing.

And again claiming that there was a 10-15% chance of him being fired at the end of 2008. You couldn't be more wrong.

Just because fans were upset in 2007 that they weren't going bowling and Iowa snapped a 6 straight bowl appearance streak. Isn't reason to fire a coach. Sure I was disappointed but KF job wasn't something I was calling for.

Latest posts