Brewster news swirling

iahawk20

It could be a ery interesting next 48 hours...i have heard a few different things but am confident something will happen with a loss tomorrow and may be announced no matter what.

Minnesota felt that by getting rid of Dan Monson before the end of the basketball season a few years ago helped them in getting Tubby Smith...plenty of lead time, and time for him to really evaluate things.

I think they will make a move before the end of the year.

Minnesota's AD should be under heat for his knee jerk reaction to Minnesota's loss to Texas Tech in the 2006 Insight Bowl. Glenn Mason was a great coach for Minnesota. They had an identity on offense, consistently made bowl games and would occassionally pull of an upset (generally against Penn St). Since then they haven't won more than 6 games and are staring at two 1-11 seasons in 4 years.

Minnesota's AD should be under heat for his knee jerk reaction to Minnesota's loss to Texas Tech in the 2006 Insight Bowl. Glenn Mason was a great coach for Minnesota. They had an identity on offense, consistently made bowl games and would occassionally pull of an upset (generally against Penn St). Since then they haven't won more than 6 games and are staring at two 1-11 seasons in 4 years.

This makes me think about how close we were to a similar situation at the end of 2007. Thank god our AD kept his cool and didn't listen to the idiots out there that were drinking the Marty&Miller/Keeler Kool-aid.

There's a long list of teams that fired a successful coach in wanting to go from good to great (Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa St., Nebraska to name a few), only to make huge leaps backwards.

Could be as many as 4 to 5 new coaches in the Big Ten next year, might as well get a headstart.

How hot is the seat for Mark Richt at Georgia? I think he would be terrific hire if Georgia let him go.........He is a southern guy, not sure if he would have an interest in coming North.

I went to the Iowa VS Minnesota game in 2006 (we lost). Before the game I ment a nice Minny fan who helped me with the ticket computer for the train. I said thanks and he said I could repay him by beating Minnesota because he wanted a new head coach next year. Thought that was pretty odd at the time.

Minny has a precarious situation brewing.

Its obvious Brewster isn't able to lead a Big 10 football program and needs to go. He has little support left even from the 1000 or so goofer football fans in the state. By the way, he was just given a contract extension this year.

But that is just the beginning of the problem. The other two of the big three revenue sports at Minny have significant issues. Tubby and the Men's BB program just lost a $1 million lawsuit that never should have gone to court. The once proud Men's Hockey team has floundered badly over the past few years.

All of these issues have just as many goofer fans calling for AD Maturi's head as are demanding Brewster's firing. Add to the mix that the university's President is retiring in May and you have a real conundrum.

So is it wise to fire the football coach and have the same incompetent AD hire a new one when the AD is himself has lost support of the fanbase? Do you fire both of them and then have an outgoing President hire an new AD for the next President to deal with? How do you find a competent AD who would sign on without knowing who his boss would be in six months?

Or do you wait until May and let the as-of-yet unannounced new university President pick his or her own personnel? Thereby creating the incredible scenario where Brewster gets another year?

The gophers have dug a real hole for themselves. But then again, that's what gophers are supposed to do.

What is Jim Leavitt doing these days?

Also wanted to add that Mason SHOULD have been fired after that bowl loss. How do you not make a defensive adjustment?

Firing Mason was moronic. Minnesota thought Mason had peaked out when in actuality it was Minnesota football that had actually peaked out. That team is so devoid of talent that you have 3-4 years before they could even be competitive in the B10.

Could be as many as 4 to 5 new coaches in the Big Ten next year, might as well get a headstart.

How hot is the seat for Mark Richt at Georgia? I think he would be terrific hire if Georgia let him go.........He is a southern guy, not sure if he would have an interest in coming North.

If Richt is let go at UGA, he will have his choice of jobs. I doubt he would come North. In fact, I think he'd end up at Clemson as I've read that many at Clemson do not think that Swinney is the guy for the job.

IMO, and this is off topic a little, Richt will be a very interesting case to watch. Personally, I think GA would be making a big mistake getting rid of him. He's had off the field issues to deal with, which have hampered the program. KF had the same a few years ago. Sure, people were starting to "wonder aloud" about moving on from KF, but it's worked out pretty well that the AD stuck with him.

Firing Mason was moronic. Minnesota thought Mason had peaked out when in actuality it was Minnesota football that had actually peaked out. That team is so devoid of talent that you have 3-4 years before they could even be competitive in the B10.

I don't think firing Mason was the moronic thing. Hiring Brewster was the moronic thing IMO.

Mason was a good motivator and could game plan pretty well but his in game generalship was pisss poor.

I don't think firing Mason was the moronic thing. Hiring Brewster was the moronic thing IMO.

Mason was a good motivator and could game plan pretty well but his in game generalship was pisss poor.

But that's the thing. If you're Minnesota it's not like you're going to be able to hire Bear Bryant because you've got a coaching opening. In fact, you're going to either hire a new coach that doesn't have head coaching experience in a BSC conf. or you're going to hire a retread.

Mason may not have been perfect, but he had things going in the right direction for them. They would have taken a step back in 2007 no matter what, but 2009 and 2010 would probably have been much better.

Latest posts