Brennan Cougill & Malcolm Moore

This would be a great duo to complete our 2011 recruiting class. Remember, Cougill was a three-star recruit. The kid has skills and would be our Center/post presence. If Fran can get him running and lose 20 pounds like Gatens, we are in business.

Malcolm Moore is an athletic power forward. He wants to come and play for the Hawks, from what I hear.

I think both of these guys are possible, if not likely, to be in Hawkeye uniforms next year.

Here is what you'd have, which looks pretty good to me.

Seniors

Gatens (SG)
Cartwright (PG)
Archie (C/PF)
Brommer (PF/C)

Juniors

Payne (PG)
May (SF/SG)
Moore (PF)
Cougill (C/PF)

Sophs

Marble (G)
McCabe (SF)
Basabe (PF/SF)

Fresh

Oglesby (SG)
Andrew (SF)

Others

Cody Cox (F)
Darius Stokes (F)
Jordan Stoermer (G)
Brandon Stubbs (G)

I like Cougs, but even if he lost that weight, I still don't see him as a fit for the style of play. But if his speed and quickness improve vastly, his BB fundamentals would work nicely. We'll see how things shake out, Fran def needs a post to close out the 2011 class and he could def use a guy with some size too, but i'm not sure cougs will fit in those plans. But im def interested to see how things shake out for both parties and if they do reunite.

Please God, no Coughill. We don't need a guard trapped in a Panda's body.

Thanks a lot - I just LOL'd so hard I woke up my wife and got a dirty look!

Seriously though people - I think the nostalgia is getting the better of some of us and clouding reality.

Thanks a lot - I just LOL'd so hard I woke up my wife and got a dirty look!

Seriously though people - I think the nostalgia is getting the better of some of us and clouding reality.

Sorry, my man! I agree. I'd rather take no one if those two were the only options.

If that is your team, you might be able to make it out of the first round of the B10 tourney in a couple years.

If either happens, this may be Iowa basketball at the all time low, yes folks it could get lower.
The thing I don't like about either is that Academic issues. Cougs probably could have stayed and got that straightened out, but he left. Moore, I know little about, but I do remember his analysis was that he could be a solid Mid-Major big guy....
I would like to not have to worry about three things at the end of the season: Player transfer, Player arrests and Player Academics.

Cougill had his chance. I don't think he will get a 2nd one. Then again, if he improves significantly and drops that weight, he would show his seriousness. That could earn him a spot on the team.
OR if he wanted to walk-on and earn that spot. Coach would let him do that for sure. He isn't anti-walkon like the previous coaches. He is well aware of the value. All I ever say is - Darryl Moore...

This would be a great duo to complete our 2011 recruiting class. Remember, Cougill was a three-star recruit. The kid has skills and would be our Center/post presence. If Fran can get him running and lose 20 pounds like Gatens, we are in business.

Malcolm Moore is an athletic power forward. He wants to come and play for the Hawks, from what I hear.

I think both of these guys are possible, if not likely, to be in Hawkeye uniforms next year.

Here is what you'd have, which looks pretty good to me.

Seniors

Gatens (SG)
Cartwright (PG)
Archie (C/PF)
Brommer (PF/C)

Juniors

Payne (PG)
May (SF/SG)
Moore (PF)
Cougill (C/PF)

Sophs

Marble (G)
McCabe (SF)
Basabe (PF/SF)

Fresh

Oglesby (SG)
Andrew (SF)

Others

Cody Cox (F)
Darius Stokes (F)
Jordan Stoermer (G)
Brandon Stubbs (G)

Just to put an exclamation point on this, a little anecdote:

A friend of mine refs b-ball games, and he was ref'ing a recent game where Cougs was playing. Apparently the young ladies keeping score were having trouble, and he joked with them to lower the shot clock to 24 seconds. Apparently Coug's coach got wind of this, and quipped something along the lines of "24 seconds!!? Cougill won't be able to make it down the court in time!"

So I think it's safe to say he won't be back with the team.

If either happens, this may be Iowa basketball at the all time low, yes folks it could get lower.
The thing I don't like about either is that Academic issues. Cougs probably could have stayed and got that straightened out, but he left. Moore, I know little about, but I do remember his analysis was that he could be a solid Mid-Major big guy....
I would like to not have to worry about three things at the end of the season: Player transfer, Player arrests and Player Academics.

IMPOSSIBLE to get any lower than it was last year. That team set records for futility that will never been seen again. This years team is 100% different than last years and not much changed other than the head coach. We have some really nice young talent and a fast paced energetic style of play. Cougs DOES NOT fit in that environment nor do I expect him to come back to the program but if he does then I'm perfectly fine with whatever these coaches decide to do. I find it a little crazy that some people are already questioning the coaching decisions when we haven't even seen a game yet.

IMPOSSIBLE to get any lower than it was last year. That team set records for futility that will never been seen again. This years team is 100% different than last years and not much changed other than the head coach. We have some really nice young talent and a fast paced energetic style of play. Cougs DOES NOT fit in that environment nor do I expect him to come back to the program but if he does then I'm perfectly fine with whatever these coaches decide to do. I find it a little crazy that some people are already questioning the coaching decisions when we haven't even seen a game yet.

I don't disagree with you, I made that statement because the program would not advance forward if these two were brought in.
I love what Coach Fran is doing and can't explain enough at how pleased I am where Iowa basketball is.
It is a testament to how I feel about the subject players :D

Russ Millard made a living averaging a few 3's a game in a similar system. Cougs will have a place next year if that is what he wants. The trailer will be open for shots with this system. Especially when the bigs are trying to get to the hoop for rebounds. He was only a freshman, we will get stronger over the next 3 years. He has good vision, makes good decisions, can hit the open jumper in transition, rebounding was improving as the year went on. I am not saying he will ever be a star. He can be a solid contributor. I hope to see Brennan back.

Latest posts