Braun Unanimous Coach of Year

longtimer

Not surprising I thought Northwestern would be bad before all hell broke loose. I didn't expect them to win a Big Ten game. To win 7 is amazing. I assume Ferentz was second. An incredible feat winning 10 games with the worst offense in the country. And after watching a replay of Nebraska game we are richly deserving that distinction

Ferentz loses to a coach filling in for Fitz who was fired for ordering code reds on players. And Parker will probably lose ass't coach of the year to Moore at Michigan because he's getting praise for filling in for Harbaugh who was suspended for 6 games this year.

Total joke. Ferentz had a way bigger turd sandwich to deal with than Braun and won 10, no scratch that, 11 games. I wish I had a press pass. "Coach, there has been some speculation that you lost coach of the year due to your criticism of the officiating in a heartbreaking loss to Minnesota. Do you think that we should change the title of the coach of the year award to the Big Ten Participant in Coaching of the Year Award to give it more of a participation trophy flair?"

I think they got it right. Braun was handed a program in total disarray and coming off a 1-11 season. Their season win over/under was like 3. Meanwhile Iowa’s over/under was 8-1/2 games and a good amount of people believed 9 or 10 wins was very achievable. Sure the injuries made the 10-2 impressive however not sure it competes w/ what Braun achieved at NW. Now, if Parker doesn’t get national assistant of the year then that’s just flat out robbery. There’s not a coach in college fb that led a position group which needed to carry the whole team on its shoulders game in and game out like Parker’s defensive group had to do. Heck he should’ve won it last year considering Iowa’s putrid offense but w/ them going to the championship game and still having the worst offense in fbs there’s little doubt who should get it. I’d like to hear the argument for anyone else and see how the resumes from this year stack up.

I think they got it right. Braun was handed a program in total disarray and coming off a 1-11 season. Their season win over/under was like 3. Meanwhile Iowa’s over/under was 8-1/2 games and a good amount of people believed 9 or 10 wins was very achievable. Sure the injuries made the 10-2 impressive however not sure it competes w/ what Braun achieved at NW. Now, if Parker doesn’t get national assistant of the year then that’s just flat out robbery. There’s not a coach in college fb that led a position group which needed to carry the whole team on its shoulders game in and game out like Parker’s defensive group had to do. Heck he should’ve won it last year considering Iowa’s putrid offense but w/ them going to the championship game and still having the worst offense in fbs there’s little doubt who should get it. I’d like to hear the argument for anyone else and see how the resumes from this year stack up.

Tommy Rees at Alabama. The man had to replace a star QB. The o-line is a rag-tag crew that includes a true freshman starting. A lot of people had left them for dead after they lost to Texas. Rees never lost hope and here they are, playing for the SEC title on Saturday. Parker did a great job and if there's a consolation prize he deserves it, but what Nick and Co. did at Alabama this year in the face of significant adversity warrants a lot of praise and awards.

Tommy Rees at Alabama. The man had to replace a star QB. The o-line is a rag-tag crew that includes a true freshman starting. A lot of people had left them for dead after they lost to Texas. Rees never lost hope and here they are, playing for the SEC title on Saturday. Parker did a great job and if there's a consolation prize he deserves it, but what Nick and Co. did at Alabama this year in the face of significant adversity warrants a lot of praise and awards.

Brian Ferentz could have ran that offense and got similar results. The only reason why you are giving Tommy Rees all this love is because of one thing... Auburn completely melted down.

Almost Total BS.....1 win to 7 is nice.......but Ferentz won the West with 5 of his top players out with injury, his son getting fired, and the Minny/Big Ten Screw job. It should have been Ferentz comfortably.

Brian Ferentz could have ran that offense and got similar results. The only reason why you are giving Tommy Rees all this love is because of one thing... Auburn completely melted down.

The man dialed up a play to score that final TD. He deserves the award.

Braun won it against Illinois. Blame Bert for not being able to handle his business.
I bet you're right too. That extra W made it an easier decision. I mean if KF had almost double his wins and beat him head to head I would think that shoulda factored... Oh well I'm not mad about it the guy did do something pretty damn impressive. It's not like they gave it to Harbaugh or something stupid like that.

Two points.

1) In addition, Braun took the helm literally within weeks of the season starting and NW had many transfer out.
2) Yes Iowa ended up close to the over/under in wins, but ya really have to put into perspective what Iowa and KF had to deal with to get to the over/under and actually better the odds. Surpassing is one thing, but doing it with the litany of injuries is another. That is what would have gotten him the award.

Two points.

1) In addition, Braun took the helm literally within weeks of the season starting and NW had many transfer out.
2) Yes Iowa ended up close to the over/under in wins, but ya really have to put into perspective what Iowa and KF had to deal with to get to the over/under and actually better the odds. Surpassing is one thing, but doing it with the litany of injuries is another. That is what would have gotten him the award.
I think it's simpler than that.

They aren't giving a coaching award to the guy with the worst offense in the sport.

I think it's simpler than that.

They aren't giving a coaching award to the guy with the worst offense in the sport.
I'm not so certain of that. I think that 7th win Braun got put him over the top. Had it been 6 with KF having the head to head W against him that woulda factored in. I'm not bent about it either way really. Braun did an impressive job there's nothing to take away from him.

It's tough to say that his adversities were tougher to overcome then what Iowas were. It's just not apples to apples. How does one tangibly measure what all he had to overcome and Iowa did with injuries? I'd like to know what coach coulda gotten their team to win 10 games with Hill mostly at QB with backup TEs (Iowas top weapons) some Olineman out off and on constantly along with everything else they had going on.

I have no issue with Braun getting it. Granted KF was my pick. Echoing what was said by many, I think you could easily show many obstacles the Iowa staff had. Injuries at key spots that were key to Iowa. Losing a quarterback was huge. And losing the top two receiving targets just added to the misery.

I don't think anyone believed (after the start of the season and our offensive woes) that ten wins was going to happen. It took a lot of coaching and continued work to get to the point where we are at.

I have no issue with Braun getting it. Granted KF was my pick. Echoing what was said by many, I think you could easily show many obstacles the Iowa staff had. Injuries at key spots that were key to Iowa. Losing a quarterback was huge. And losing the top two receiving targets just added to the misery.

I don't think anyone believed (after the start of the season and our offensive woes) that ten wins was going to happen. It took a lot of coaching and continued work to get to the point where we are at.
Braun deserves it. 100%.

No farking way would I want that job, in that place, on two weeks notice, with that kind of distraction going on. He should've gotten a medal just for saying yes.

I'm not so certain of that. I think that 7th win Braun got put him over the top. Had it been 6 with KF having the head to head W against him that woulda factored in. I'm not bent about it either way really. Braun did an impressive job there's nothing to take away from him.

It's tough to say that his adversities were tougher to overcome then what Iowas were. It's just not apples to apples. How does one tangibly measure what all he had to overcome and Iowa did with injuries? I'd like to know what coach coulda gotten their team to win 10 games with Hill mostly at QB with backup TEs (Iowas top weapons) some Olineman out off and on constantly along with everything else they had going on.

Agree. If Braun didn't get it, I think Ferentz would have. Harbaugh missed 6 games and they are investigating him.

Braun deserves it. 100%.

No farking way would I want that job, in that place, on two weeks notice, with that kind of distraction going on. He should've gotten a medal just for saying yes.

Yea I agree and I really don't think KF gives all that much and is fine coming in 2nd for the award.

Latest posts