Brandon Scherff

Briggs32

We've all heard he was the next great lineman. He has played very well this year. With all that we have returning next year on offense I hope he stays and helps lead an offensive unit that has a lot of potential if we can find some playmakers at WR. That being said others are noticing too. He happens to appear at #24 on Kiper's latest Big Board. Here is what Mel says about him:

24. He debuted here last week and played well against Wisconsin in a loss. Big, athletic and powerful, Scherff has the body type and ability to drop and move his feet as a pass protector, but he's particularly special as a run-blocker because he will drive a defensive end to the second level and finish his block. He's got that nastiness when he gets a defender locked up and can also move in space and hit a moving target.

Next year we are slated to lose Van Sloten, Bofelli and CJF. We have depth at TE to replace CJF and I would think that Ryan Ward replaces Bofelli at G and Donnal kicks out to RT to replace Van Sloten. That would give us an offensive line of Scherff, Ward, Blythe, Walsh and Donnal. A pretty good looking line for next year. Couple that with what we have back at QB, RB, WR and TE, our offense could be pretty good if we can find a consistent identity.

I agree with many that Weisman us not a full time RB in the Big Ten. I think a move back to FB or a situational HB would be his best role...running up the middle when we are just trying to over power people with our running game. I would love a RB rotation of Daniels and Canzeri. Power and speed.

While our WRs have left much to be desired, we have a good deal of experience coming back. We only lose Cotton, who has less than 260 career yards, and bring back an experienced group led by senior KMM, along with Smith, Powell and Hillyer. Being from the Quad City area, I'm hoping Derrick Willies can contribute next year.

Good post. Hope Scherff stays as well.

One thing is certain. Shimonek will be our best QB as soon as we lose ;-)

We've all heard he was the next great lineman. He has played very well this year. With all that we have returning next year on offense I hope he stays and helps lead an offensive unit that has a lot of potential if we can find some playmakers at WR. That being said others are noticing too. He happens to appear at #24 on Kiper's latest Big Board. Here is what Mel says about him:

24. He debuted here last week and played well against Wisconsin in a loss. Big, athletic and powerful, Scherff has the body type and ability to drop and move his feet as a pass protector, but he's particularly special as a run-blocker because he will drive a defensive end to the second level and finish his block. He's got that nastiness when he gets a defender locked up and can also move in space and hit a moving target.

Next year we are slated to lose Van Sloten, Bofelli and CJF. We have depth at TE to replace CJF and I would think that Ryan Ward replaces Bofelli at G and Donnal kicks out to RT to replace Van Sloten. That would give us an offensive line of Scherff, Ward, Blythe, Walsh and Donnal. A pretty good looking line for next year. Couple that with what we have back at QB, RB, WR and TE, our offense could be pretty good if we can find a consistent identity.

I agree with many that Weisman us not a full time RB in the Big Ten. I think a move back to FB or a situational HB would be his best role...running up the middle when we are just trying to over power people with our running game. I would love a RB rotation of Daniels and Canzeri. Power and speed.

While our WRs have left much to be desired, we have a good deal of experience coming back. We only lose Cotton, who has less than 260 career yards, and bring back an experienced group led by senior KMM, along with Smith, Powell and Hillyer. Being from the Quad City area, I'm hoping Derrick Willies can contribute next year.

Scherff will be back for his senior year.

Cotton has kinda disappeared for his senior year.

Being that Scherff will be a first rounder next year, its probable that he will make the jump to the NFL.

Being that Scherff will be a first rounder next year, its probable that he will make the jump to the NFL.

i don't see it for brandon, this year. i think he has too much to work on, and too much upside which another year could help. i don't see his play at the same level of a couple other early jumpers to the NFL. He doesn't have a lot of college experience under his belt - missed half of last year and played sparingly his redshirt freshman year.

he can definitely leave. If he is going to be a first roung pick he could go and earn a paycheck....Look what happened to the Leinart. He was guaranteed a big payday and then playing his senior year cost him millions...and he isn't even in the league now. There is nothing wrong with taking a sure thing

2014 NFL Draft: Scherff latest star on Iowa offensive line - CBSSports.com

While it hurts to have players leave a year early - as they obviously have talent, it is ultimately good for the program. Think about recruiting left tackles after this and being able to say to recruits "The last three starting left tackles at Iowa have left early and been 1st round draft picks..." Doesn't mean we get every recruit we want, but we will rarely not have a quality left tackle.

Here is what Mel Kiper just said in a chat about Scherff.... pretty high praise.
"He's up there. He's not up there with Jake Matthews, but I think as a LT, I like Scherff's feet. His pass protection skills needs help. He's the best run blocking LT that I've ever seen. He just buries the DE. He's a destructive player. His pass blocking is good. He was a QB and punter in high school. He has incredible strength. At worst, he will be a great RT. I have him No. 21 on the Big Board. He is probably the 3-4 best LT."
Chat: Chat with Mel Kiper - SportsNation - ESPN

He might be gone but if his pass blocking is only good he will be a right tackle probably so as not to be the blindside pass blocker.

IF he is first rounder now he might as well go.

If the advice he gets is he will be a 2nd rounder or so because of his pass blocking and if he can improve the pass blocking with one more year in college then he might stay.

I think he stays.

Kiper has seen a ton of football, too.

i think the key here is he's a fourth year junior.. He'll have a degree and first round money ahead.. Not sure why he wouldn't leave.
We've got a real shot at 7-5 next year. Who wouldn't want to stay for that?

Brandon was projected as a first rounder last year before he got hurt. What makes you think he will be a bust with another year of experience? There are plenty of OL in the NFL from Iowa that have done well.

Latest posts