Brandon Scherff

This draft is very deep so he will likely not a top 20 pick and could be out of the 1st. So, with how regimented the rookie payscale is now he may do better to stay a year. If he tears it up hell be a top 10 pick next year.

This draft is very deep so he will likely not a top 20 pick and could be out of the 1st. So, with how regimented the rookie payscale is now he may do better to stay a year. If he tears it up hell be a top 10 pick next year.

That's what I was thinking a la Robert Gallery. Go from a possible later 1st round pick to a top 5-10 pick. This year Matthews, Lewan, Kouandijo, and possibly Richardson are 1st round LTs in the NFL. I would love to see him back.

This.

He has shown me nothing spectacular. 89 from MSU lit his *** up.

Huh? Calhoun played like 70% of his snaps at left end so that he'd have a better match up versus Van Sloten.

Scherff had exactly 4 bad-ish plays in that game. Two of those were plays he let his man collapse the pocket a bit (Rudock was not hit in either situation but was made a bit uncomfortable). On another play he didn't get out fast enough on a tunnel screen and the corner he could have blocked made the tackle. The last bad-ish play was when he let his defender get his hands up and knock down a pass at the line.

These were his worst plays of the game, in a game he played injured, against the possibly the best defense in the country, and they weren't even really bad. I don't know what you want from him, but your post was crazy talk.

We've all heard he was the next great lineman. He has played very well this year. With all that we have returning next year on offense I hope he stays and helps lead an offensive unit that has a lot of potential if we can find some playmakers at WR. That being said others are noticing too. He happens to appear at #24 on Kiper's latest Big Board. Here is what Mel says about him:

24. He debuted here last week and played well against Wisconsin in a loss. Big, athletic and powerful, Scherff has the body type and ability to drop and move his feet as a pass protector, but he's particularly special as a run-blocker because he will drive a defensive end to the second level and finish his block. He's got that nastiness when he gets a defender locked up and can also move in space and hit a moving target.

Next year we are slated to lose Van Sloten, Bofelli and CJF. We have depth at TE to replace CJF and I would think that Ryan Ward replaces Bofelli at G and Donnal kicks out to RT to replace Van Sloten. That would give us an offensive line of Scherff, Ward, Blythe, Walsh and Donnal. A pretty good looking line for next year. Couple that with what we have back at QB, RB, WR and TE, our offense could be pretty good if we can find a consistent identity.

I agree with many that Weisman us not a full time RB in the Big Ten. I think a move back to FB or a situational HB would be his best role...running up the middle when we are just trying to over power people with our running game. I would love a RB rotation of Daniels and Canzeri. Power and speed.

While our WRs have left much to be desired, we have a good deal of experience coming back. We only lose Cotton, who has less than 260 career yards, and bring back an experienced group led by senior KMM, along with Smith, Powell and Hillyer. Being from the Quad City area, I'm hoping Derrick Willies can contribute next year.

While I agree that our o-line next year can be very good if Scherff stays, our skill position talent is some of the worst in the B1G and having most of it return for next season is a bad thing!!!

Brandon was projected as a first rounder last year before he got hurt. What makes you think he will be a bust with another year of experience? There are plenty of OL in the NFL from Iowa that have done well.

This is why he should leave if he stands to be a first rounder. It's not that he won't be better next year, and maybe he even elevates his draft status, but if he blows out a knee or something, and he doesn't get drafted or drops way down, there's no one at the UI or any alum who's going to pay him the difference in what he would lose. It's about what he's willing to risk. I've love it if he decided to stay, better for the Hawkeyes. But I would also encourage him to move on if his draft status looks as good as it's being predicted right now.

Latest posts