Brad Rogers

braytonra

I have read some posts on Rogers, and just a call-out to anyone who knows anything about this young man. Was he highly recruited by many? I'm waiting for Jon's insight. I understand who is #1 and #2 on the depth chart, but at this point in time, we have to put the best player out there. There's not too opportunities to enjoy season's like this one. I saw a pic of Rogers and he looks like a bull...can he carry us at OSU? Jon? Any comments would make me sleep easier.

I'm thinking he's a Shonn Greene prototype. They called him the "wrecking ball" in Ohio, deceptive speed and reads his blockers real well and likes to run over people.

Well, he's a FR, so there's really not much to say, and no solid info to go off of, other than his recruiting film and the scant reports out of practice. In other words, we'll know when we know, you know?

http://gohawks.com/ <-- click on the "Hawkeye Family" link and select Class of 2009 to see his film.

He wasn't the most highly-recruited kid, and didnt' garner the buzz that other members of his recruiting class did, but he's definitely one of the ones I've been most excited to see play... Could have some Nick Bell potential. But ya never know.

He was the #107 ranked RB in his recruiting class. Has Shonn's build at 5'10", 230 lbs., so he is a load. Recruited by Indiana, Northwestern (so this two game stretch may give him a little motivation), Toledo and Bowling Green.

Per ESPNU:
Rogers is a battering ram at the running back position, and a kid with the body structure and strength to carry the load at the next level. He is very compact, thickly- built and powerful through his hips and lower-body. Carries his 230-pounds well and shows great urgency out of his stance through the hole. Bruising, downhill runner but displays deceptive suddenness and decisive cutting ability at his size to slide through the cutback creases. Great burst for a back with his bulk and he can quickly slice through a defense. Difficult for smaller linebackers and defensive backs to arm tackle with the good initial downhill speed and power he generates in the short-area. Will lower the shoulder on contact and often bounces off and through defenders earning good YAC. Finishes runs and is an effective moving the pile in short-yardage situations with his great lower-body strength. However, for a kid built low to the ground, he lacks great balance and tends to get tripped up on lower arm tackles and is susceptible to getting chopped down low. We would like to see better body-tilt and lean to transfer his current YAC to the next level and remain durable in a high carry role. Better burst in the short-area than top-end speed in the second level and will not elude many college defensive backs in space. Overall, Rogers could play tailback for a team who employs heavy, downhill power-schemes not an outside zone-type runner. Potential to play fullback as well; shows good hands in the screen game, excels at the quick hitters and is more than capable with his physical tools to become a formidable blocker. Displays good tools in the short-range at outside 'backer and could develop there in the right system as well.

Recruited by (not nec. offered by) Ohio State, Bowling Green, Indiana, Northwestern, Toledo, Michigan

Discrepancy will teams came down to position in college. Iowa said he could play RB, Ohio State and others wanted him to play FB.

Not unusual for teams to have to deal with injuries. To bad for ARob, but the wegerbomb can get it done. Would be cool to see another man step up. No offense to Paki, but try Rogers and let him bang.

Well, he's a FR, so there's really not much to say, and no solid info to go off of, other than his recruiting film and the scant reports out of practice. In other words, we'll know when we know, you know?

Let's hope we won't have to know until 2010.

Exactly... give him the ball and see what happens.

I remember after Shonn Greene's first year I was not too thrilled... I thought he caughed up the ball too much.... yeah... I ate those words quite a bit last season!

Per ESPNU:
However, for a kid built low to the ground, he lacks great balance and tends to get tripped up on lower arm tackles and is susceptible to getting chopped down low. We would like to see better body-tilt and lean to transfer his current YAC to the next level and remain durable in a high carry role.

Hmm...on the GoHawks.com page, I didn't see that he had bad balance. I actually thought his balance was pretty good...I did post in another thread even for a shorter back I thought his pad level was too high. Hopefully Lester has worked with him on that.

Overall, Rogers could play tailback for a team who employs heavy, downhill power-schemes not an outside zone-type runner.

Zoinks! We're not going to change up the offense for him, so I hope he has adapted to this a bit!

Rogers may be just what the doctor ordered. We have the need for a RB to run over somebody on 3rd and short. We may have found a perfect 1-2 punch to carry us onto new heights.

Just a random thought, but I remember when Tom Poholski was the "next man in" at QB because of injury (can't remember the year)...we didn't turn out that bad.

Prediction? I see the Hawks salivating at the mouths, seeing the possibilities. Iowa 28 Indiana 16.

Here's a crazy thought...assuming Rogers is faster than either of our FB's, why not put both in the game at the same time. If we really want to get crazy, motion Wegher out of the backfield into a slot position. Then we still are a threat to run with Rogers and still can pass block keeping a back in (although Rogers' blitz pickup could be suspect) and getting 4 into the route.

You are absolutely right, as the possibilities on offense strengthen greatly with a power back. IMHO, our backs run hard, have heart, have above average talent, although young...but get tackled easier that I am accustomed to seeing, dating back to Russell, Shaw, etc. etc...I respect our coaches decison, but I'd love to see a look at Rogers; BCS possibilities are on the line.

It's probably a lot to expect out of a true freshman who hasn't yet seen the field, or even been un-redshirted yet, but the offensive possibilities are greatly increased when you have someone who can run as well as block. Morse has shown the ability to run when he's not expected to, but I don't know if he's a back that can be counted on to run the ball against a 7 man front.

There is a lot of film out there on this kid. He reminds me alot of Nick Bell. Hits the hole hard and makes good cuts.... yet has the distinct capability of being able to run over someone...If he has been a quick learner and paid attention since August, he might well be the perfect compliment to Wegher. Clearly someone that you want to give the ball to in a short yardage situation. In one of the films out there he actually runs away from a def back ... of course this is high school. Conversely, the Buckeyes did want him pretty badly.

Last edited:

Latest posts