Bracketology Thoughts

Wisconsin has been playing games all year that have come down to one or two possessions and have won virtually every single one of them.

Unless you're on an enchanted run like 1983 NC State that isn't sustainable. Rules have been put in since Valvano that prevent it. Wisconsin is testing the limits of the metrics. The ball simply can't keep bouncing their way that often every time. That's why their no NET (or KenPom) darlings.

View attachment 8714

Gentlemen, I wouldn't trust this overgrown pile of microchips any further than I can throw it.

Computers are one metric. The human eye and brains is another. Computers can also be rigged by the person who set-up the system to get the outcomes they want to have happen.

I think both are needed.
Not even close to the best quote.

"God dammit, I'd piss on a sparkplug if I thought it would do any good. Let the boy in there, Colonel."

Even if it were "rigged," it's applied equally and evenly to every team. Duke has as much significance and Iona in a computer metric. The algorithm is blind.

Still more fair and objective.
I wouldn't mind that the computer was like worth 3 committee people are something like that....like the computer gets a factor in the selection of teams along with the committee members.

I don't know how that would go down exactly....maybe similar to how the old BCS system worked in college football?

But, I wouldn't mind having the computers and humans both factor into the selection process.

Wisconsin has been playing games all year that have come down to one or two possessions and have won virtually every single one of them.

Unless you're on an enchanted run like 1983 NC State that isn't sustainable. Rules have been put in since Valvano that prevent it. Wisconsin is testing the limits of the metrics. The ball simply can't keep bouncing their way that often every time. That's why their no NET (or KenPom) darlings.

They've sustained it for almost an entire season at this point.

Last edited:
Even if it were "rigged," it's applied equally and evenly to every team. Duke has as much significance and Iona in a computer metric. The algorithm is blind.

Still more fair and objective.

Agreed, but IMO the NET ranking is an opinion, just another one. For example, we know NET values offensive and defensive efficiency more than winning, if you look at various other metrics. KenPom and other efficiency metrics more closely align with NET than results based metrics like KPI and WAB. Whether it's fair or not isn't the point - having a system work like that means somebody's opinion on the value of efficiency vs. results won out in the system.

That's why I value different perspectives and the committee. You don't, that's fine, we can agree to disagree.

Right now, ESPN's bracketology has Iowa as a 7 seed. No team has ever gone to the tournament with no Quad 1 wins.

Iowa--17-7 with no quad 1 wins--7 seed
ISU--17-9 with 8 quad 1 wins--11 seed

2 resumes that will be interesting to follow.

Right now, ESPN's bracketology has Iowa as a 7 seed. No team has ever gone to the tournament with no Quad 1 wins.

Houston doesn't have one currently either and probably won't get one, and they are a lock. Va Tech doesn't and their NET is #36 so they'd be pushing it.

Bracket Matrix has Iowa as an 8 seed and ISU as a 9.

Shhh! Don't tell Colin Cowherd. He will be all over that story.

This loss just killed our chances. Our schedule down the stretch is rough with only 2 games against teams that we should be considered a favorite.

Getting thumped by a tourney bubble team at home, when it's so difficult to win on the road, is the end of the run for this team.

I think the B1G gets 7 teams in and Iowa isn't going to be one of them. I don't think a strong run in the conference tournament will save us either.

This loss just killed our chances. Our schedule down the stretch is rough with only 2 games against teams that we should be considered a favorite.

Getting thumped by a tourney bubble team at home, when it's so difficult to win on the road, is the end of the run for this team.

I think the B1G gets 7 teams in and Iowa isn't going to be one of them. I don't think a strong run in the conference tournament will save us either.

No, last night's loss didn't "killed our chances" it made it more difficult. There are still 6 games left in the season and the conference tournament. Let's not throw in the towel just yet.

Another opinion:

IOWA CITY — "If the Iowa men’s basketball team is going to play its way into the NCAA Tournament, it’s going to need to protect its home court the rest of the way … and probably win at least one big game on the Big Ten Conference road."

..........Chad Leistikow (after last night's game)

Another opinion:

IOWA CITY — "If the Iowa men’s basketball team is going to play its way into the NCAA Tournament, it’s going to need to protect its home court the rest of the way … and probably win at least one big game on the Big Ten Conference road."

..........Chad Leistikow (after last night's game)
Well they can't beat anyone good even at home. Not gonna beat Michigan State. Not good if you subscribe to that opinion.

How do we go from a 7 seed and NET 20 to hanging on by a thread in one game? Michigan is better than its record. They had a freshmen play the game of his life and our star was cramping most of the second half. We still had a chance at the end. I actually bet Michigan sneaks into the tourney. They are playing well.

I maintain that three more wins and we are in. Nebraska, NW and one other game. 10-10 and 20 wins. It will be a crappy seed, but we are in. Lestikow is trying to sells clicks.....

The loss definitely hurt our chances, but I think you're being a tad bit hyperbolic.

Michigan narrowly escaped with a win. Keegan missed a 3 point attempt that would've tied it with little time remaining. That's not "thumping".
I still think Iowa gets in but we are in no way a lock at this point. We have work to do.

How do we go from a 7 seed and NET 20 to hanging on by a thread in one game? Michigan is better than its record. They had a freshmen play the game of his life and our star was cramping most of the second half. We still had a chance at the end. I actually bet Michigan sneaks into the tourney. They are playing well.

I maintain that three more wins and we are in. Nebraska, NW and one other game. 10-10 and 20 wins. It will be a crappy seed, but we are in. Lestikow is trying to sells clicks.....

True, still plenty of basketball left and it's WAY too early to throw in the towel. But after the loss last night making the tournament did get much tougher. I see @Nebraska and Northwestern as winnable games but after that it's going to take an upset to get that 3rd win.

Everyone is penciling in a Hawkeye win at NWestern. Watch out. That is a disciplined team with height, and at least one guard who can get their own. Have lost a lot of close games. That'll be a dogfight til the end.

Everyone is penciling in a Hawkeye win at NWestern. Watch out. That is a disciplined team with height, and at least one guard who can get their own. Have lost a lot of close games. That'll be a dogfight til the end.
I called it winnable, which it is.

Y’all are killing me. The instant reaction podcast killed me. Life as we knew it has ended because we lost to Michigan. Woe is us. We have no chance to beat OSU tomorrow. We suck. Might as well wait for football season.
I’m not giving up on this team. Tomorrow I will tune in with the hope that our Hawks will pull off the upset. If they don’t I will wait to watch the next game and the next. Call me stupid but I won’t stop watching and hoping until we lose in the BIG tournament. After what we lost last year nobody thought we would be in the position we are in. Which is according to most of the experts a team in position to make the dance.

Latest posts