Boy our defense has problems

HaydenHawk56

Graduation losses really hurt this team. KF also played it pretty conservatively. Give it to ISU.....they do have a heck of QB.

I told everyone our defensive line was not as good as everyone claimed. If Iowa has to blitz to get pressure on the QB they loss, it is that simple.

We can't play our shell defense with this D-Line. We simply don't have NFL talent on the D-Line and can't generate any sort of pass rush with just four guys. We are going to have to Blitz more, which will require us to play some man coverage. The Lowery injury hurts, as Castillo simply doesn't have the physical talent to play man-press coverage.

Vandenburg is going to have to play better too. If he doesn't play well we are not going to move the ball well. We can't just lineup and run the ball on BCS teams. The McCall injury is going to sting too, as Coker doesn't make many guys miss the hole. We need to run more crossing stuff, give Davis and McNutt the chance to run with the ball, they are the strength of our team.

The defense simply looked slow to me. At least last year, when the QB slipped out, it was just barely. Today, he had all the time in the world, would slip out and our guys couldn't catch up. The coverage downfield must have been okay, because Jantz had to buy 4-6 extra seconds before throwing it.

No interceptions... ughh..

not true they had only 17 points with 1:30 to play, the the drive that had three 3rd down conversions & a 4th down conversion to score! we're fine

did you see where they started with drives? both scoring drives in the 1st Half were from inside iowas 35 yd line.

not true they had only 17 points with 1:30 to play, the the drive that had three 3rd down conversions & a 4th down conversion to score! we're fine

Did you watch the game? Referencing total points makes no sense...the only time we stopped ISU was when they fumbled or missed a field goal. How many times did they punt - twice?

Our defense is not fine

THIS IS RIGHT

First off, I love the Hawks and am looking forward to the game next week.

With that said, ISU got a first down on 65% of their 3rd down conversions. And they ran 20 third down plays today. How utterly pathetic is that stat?

I did not see one defensive player on the field for Iowa that can stop Jantz. He did a great job. More athletic then anyone the Hawks can put on the field at this time.

The better team won today. The perception to me was they were more passionate and intense then the Hawks looked. They also appeared to be 1 to 2 steps quicker then anyone the Hawks had on the field today.

The Hawks failure to take chances at the end of regulation and in OT cost them as well. Sometimes it works out well to be conservative, but not today unfortunately.

Your DL is not even close to as good as it normally is. It's more like 2005. That is a problem for the type of scheme you run, especially against a spread offense. Your entire D philosophy is based on:

1. Stopping the run completely
2. Not getting beat deep
3. Forcing mistakes because of DL pressure on the QB

You can't do two of those things very effectively with a weak DL. It's like trying to run Texas Tech's old offense with a crappy QB, or a power running game with a weak OL.

Latest posts