Bowl Season 2020 could be much different

Sooby

I believe many of these current bowl agreements, end after the 2019 season:
Pinstripe is after the 2021 season. Ugh!
Rose is the Rose and not sure on Detroit and Dallas Bowls.

With some talking "Outback fatigue", what comparable bowl would you replace that with?
Alamo is top Pac 12 vs Big 12, after CFP/NY6 (ala Citrus Bowl) until after the 2024 season.

I don't see how the top 4 will change:
1. Rose vs Pac 12
2. Citrus vs SEC or Orange
3. Outback vs SEC
4. Holiday vs Pac 12

Here is where some shuffling could be done:
5. Music City/Gator vs SEC - Just Music City. Jacksonville and Gator is just so-so, at best.

6. Pinstripe vs ACC - To quote Frank Shirley from 'Christmas Vacation': "Get me somebody. Anybody. And get me somebody while I'm waiting."

7. Santa Clara Bowl vs Pac 12 - Replace with Las Vegas Bowl
Las Vegas want to drop the Mountain West for a Power 5 conference, starting with the 2020 bowl, and are leaning SEC, and I would love to replace Santa Clara with this.

8. Detroit Bowl vs ACC - Feels like the B1G will always have this, because of geography.
9. Dallas Bowl vs CUSA - Not the best destination, not the worst destination
Screen_Shot_2017_12_14_at_10.28.40_AM.0.png

I'd like to see the B1G get out of the Pinstripe and get into the Belk Bowl or for Atlanta to make a new bowl. Belk Bowl would need a new sponsor bince Belk is a southeast regional retailer, hence their ACC/SEC affiliation. Atlanta and Charlotte are growing fast with people from Big Ten country moving into those areas. Plus with American Airlines having a big presence in Charlotte and Delta having a hub in Atlanta, it's a fairly easy destination through most of the B1G footprint. After last year's Pinstripe Bowl, the conference absolutely has to get out of that agreement as soon as they contractually can and somewhere in the Southeast other than Florida or Arizona would be a good spot where there are a fair number of Big Ten alums who can be anchors to bring their friends and relatives down for games.

I feel the Holiday Bowl is destined for a downgrade because of its stadium problem in San Diego. Las Vegas might be the logical replacement with it's new NFL stadium.

The new NFL stadium for the Rams and Chargers in LA might be nice for a bowl too but with 2 NFL teams already playing there, it might be hard to book a bowl game there in December.

It would be nice to get back in Arizona and also back in San Antonio. Maybe the Alamo can replace the Holiday and the Arizona bowl could replace the Santa Clara bowl. Holiday could also stick around as a lower tier bowl.

If the Big ten needs to have a bowl in the Midwest, I would prefer Indianopolis over Detroit. Also need to get Big 12 back in the rotation.

A. Rose vs. PAC
B. Orange vs. ACC

1. Citrus vs. SEC
2. Outback vs. SEC
3. Alamo vs. Big 12
4. Las Vegas vs. PAC 12

5. Music City vs. ACC
6. Holiday vs. PAC 12
7. Arizona vs. Big 12
8. Indianapolis vs. ACC/MAC
9. Not needed

Last edited:
I'd like to see them dump the Pinstripe and Detroit bowl games. Keep the Music City Bowl, it is a nice consolation bowl within driving distance for most Big 10 fans, and plenty to do in Nashville and just warm enough.. Get the Alamo Bowl back, even though the clowns are headed there this year, I always thought San Antonio and the bowl game itself was a good fit for Iowa.

There has been talk of adding a bowl game in Chicago to be played at Wrigley Field. That would be neat, bring one of those southern schools in for a late December bowl game.

The late December "Ankle Breaker Bowl!".

Have they reconfigured Wrigley so it can host a football game? I don't recall if Notre Dame ended up playing there in the interim, but a few years ago Illinois and NU played there and they could only go one way on offense because the outfield wall was too close to the endzone. Everyone I know who went to the game said the sightlines were awful, too.

Have they reconfigured Wrigley so it can host a football game? I don't recall if Notre Dame ended up playing there in the interim, but a few years ago Illinois and NU played there and they could only go one way on offense because the outfield wall was too close to the endzone. Everyone I know who went to the game said the sightlines were awful, too.

Yea, it's not a good idea. Didn't they only have one goal post at the one end?

Yea, it's not a good idea. Didn't they only have one goal post at the one end?

They had one goal post bolted onto the brick wall, so each endzone had a goal post. Allegedly they can do this with the renovations, but I don't think those will cure the sight line issues nor the "hey there's a support beam 4 inches in front of my seat" issues that Wrigley has.

They had one goal post bolted onto the brick wall, so each endzone had a goal post. Allegedly they can do this with the renovations, but I don't think those will cure the sight line issues nor the "hey there's a support beam 4 inches in front of my seat" issues that Wrigley has.

They are returning to Wrigley for NW-Wisconsin game in 2020. Supposedly, the issues have been worked out.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/northwestern-game-at-wrigley-field-will-play-both-directions/

Kenney explained how Wrigley’s renovations allow for a full football field.

The top of the Cubs’ dugout can be removed, and a platform can be placed over it. Also, the first four rows on the west side of the stadium are on a temporary platform and can be removed.

screen-shot-2018-06-05-at-5-52-50-pm.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ch...y-field-bowl-game-off-20180726-story,amp.html

The Wrigley Field Bowl game was called off one month after it was first announced.

Turns out Big Ten teams do not like to play Bowl games in cold weather.

"Cubs officials wanted a premier spot in the Big Ten bowl lineup — the ability to land the conference’s No. 3 or No. 4 team"

Smart by the Cubs. Basically they wanted a 10 win MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa or Nebraska team that would bring at least 25,000 fans to sit in the cold. My guess is when they started thinking about 6-6 Minnesota or 7-5 Northwestern or Maryland teams, they ran some numbers on the back of an envelope and realized it's cheaper to just keep the stadium closed.

They are returning to Wrigley for NW-Wisconsin game in 2020. Supposedly, the issues have been worked out.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/northwestern-game-at-wrigley-field-will-play-both-directions/

The top of the Cubs’ dugout can be removed, and a platform can be placed over it. Also, the first four rows on the west side of the stadium are on a temporary platform and can be removed.

Jesus you need binoculars to see from the left field wall

Wrigley is a terrible idea for football. The weather would be bad at best to miserable. Traffic is terrible. Hotels are terribly expensive and not much real close. Why not just have Gopher Hole Bowl in a nicer stadium. Or the Fargo Dome. At least the Winnipeg Stadium is made for similar football. We could do 3 downs. Cleveland? Buffalo? The possibilities are endless.

Latest posts