Bowl Predictions

My thinking is personal preference I suppose. Nothing about Jacksonville and the Gator excites me. Neither does Tennessee or Kentucky.

ok, that's fair...I have the same feelings about those 2 Pac 12 schools you mentioned. My preference is to face the SEC school, especially if it's Tennessee. But we have friends and family from Tennessee and are Vol fans, so it's a little extra personal preference for me.

I've heard Michigan is pretty much a lock for the Holiday. I also think Iowa Citris for some reason.

Yep, I'm most confident that Minnesota is going to the Outback and Michigan is going to the Holiday. For Iowa it's Citrus or bust, if PSU gets selected for the Orange Bowl (or gets left out of the NY6) then it muddies the waters for Iowa.

On the whole ACC team getting the Citrus if Penn State gets the orange, wouldn’t that only be the case if the ACC loses their spot in the orange? I don’t think that’s going to happen, they’ll plug their nose and take UVA, the question is will they take Penn State over Florida and Bama?

From what I gathered thats the biggest thing to pay attention to, namely if PSU ranks ahead of those two teams this week. UGA will get sugar and Bama and Florida would then miss out on NY6.

In that case Iowa likely gets Citrus against Florida (hopefully). If Penn State gets left out of the NY6 that’s when it gets really dicey for Iowa. Holiday loves Michigan, huge fanbase there as Harbaugh has ties there as well.

There is no way in hell that Iowa is going to the Redbox Bowl. Had they lost to Nebraska then maybe, but no way in hell now.

If it’s Citrus...I want Bama
I am utterly shocked that Iowa fans are saying this. I know some teams like this lay eggs in this situation but I imagine Saban is going to be pretty damn pissed off after their last game. Plus they have a QB who’s going to be looking to prove something. Please god no, Bama would hammer Iowa and that does nothing for us as a program.

Here is how I think it will shake out. This is all predicated on Georgia beating LSU, because I think they will. I think that Georgia's defense is better than LSU's.

1 OSU vs. 4 LSU
2 Clemson vs. 3 Georgia

Rose: UTAH/ORE winner vs. Wisconsin
Cotton: PSU vs. non P5 champ
Orange: UVA vs. Florida
Sugar: Bama vs. OU

all of those will sell tickets, except the Cotton, but somebody has to take one for the team. It will probably be Boise though and they will travel there moreso than any of the other bowls.

Citrus: Iowa vs. Auburn
Outback: Minnesota vs. Texas A&M
Holiday: Michigan vs. UTAH/ORE loser
Gator: Indiana vs. Tennessee/Kentucky

I think the Auburn matchup would be a fun one.

What does it say aboutt Iowa or the B1G that a 9-3 team is regulated to a crap bowl? Does it mean we need to finish stronger or is the B1G just that good this year?

What does it say aboutt Iowa or the B1G that a 9-3 team is regulated to a crap bowl? Does it mean we need to finish stronger or is the B1G just that good this year?[/QUOT

The bowls are what they make of it regardless of where they were at. The teams can play up and down regardless and selection to a point is out of our control. What is nice is we get extra practice, some prestige, and a chance to win 10 games. Regardless of where they play I hope they come out and have a good game. I do not want to watch another Rose bowl or lackluster Outback from 17'

Here is how I think it will shake out. This is all predicated on Georgia beating LSU, because I think they will. I think that Georgia's defense is better than LSU's.

1 OSU vs. 4 LSU
2 Clemson vs. 3 Georgia

Rose: UTAH/ORE winner vs. Wisconsin
Cotton: PSU vs. non P5 champ
Orange: UVA vs. Florida
Sugar: Bama vs. OU

all of those will sell tickets, except the Cotton, but somebody has to take one for the team. It will probably be Boise though and they will travel there moreso than any of the other bowls.

Citrus: Iowa vs. Auburn
Outback: Minnesota vs. Texas A&M
Holiday: Michigan vs. UTAH/ORE loser
Gator: Indiana vs. Tennessee/Kentucky

I think the Auburn matchup would be a fun one.
I like this. UGA will definitely be motivated after they let the SEC championship game slip away last year.

Let’s assume for a second that LSU does in fact win. I think we then want Oregon to beat Utah (hopefully soundly), and OU to hammer Baylor. I say this because we do not want either the Pac12 or Big12 getting both a playoff spot, and a NY6 spot. Neither Baylor or Utah have the quality wins that PSU does and I don’t think either travel as well. So Oregon to the Rose, Utah Holiday, and Baylor is left out of NY6 in that scenario.

The real wild card in all of this is that 2 of the NY6 bowls are getting stuck with less desirable match ups. Cotton is getting the Group of 5 champ (either Memphis, Cincy, Boise) and the Orange will get ACC replacement (Virginia?).

I believe the NY6 at large spots go based upon highest rankings in playoff poll. So I expect the committee to really manipulate rankings to get a favorable at large team in each bowl. For Orange, since they get the highest rated SEC/BIG/ND team after replacements go to Rose (assume PSU) & Sugar (assume Georgia), I look for them to try to get Florida in that spot to bring a lot of their fans down to Miami.

Assuming PSU goes to the Rose Bowl (they would most likely be higher ranked than Wisco after they lose to OSU this weekend), the Cotton Bowl would be looking at someone from the group of Wisco, Bama, Baylor (assuming they lose to OK) and Notre Dame. Of these options, I don't think Bama fans would care about playing Memphis, so probably not a lot of fans going to Dallas. Baylor is local, but a Baylor vs Memphis game doesn't drive a lot of tv ratings. So I think it comes down to 10-3 Wisco or 10-2 ND, and I'd never bet against ND being the pick due to national following so will be interested to see where Wisco and ND are placed in the rankings Tuesday night.

Jerry Palm has Iowa vs. Arizona State in Holiday. Kirk vs. Herm has some luster to it-two old ball coaches.

If you're Iowa, you play to win the game.

CFP/NY6:
Ohio State, LSU, Clemson and "x"

ROSE (B1G vs Pac 12)
Wisconsin, for B1G back-up vs Utah/Oregon

SUGAR (SEC vs Big 12)
Georgia, for SEC back-up vs Oklahoma/Baylor

ORANGE (ACC vs. ND/B1G/SEC)
Virginia, as ACC back-up vs Penn State, which mean no B1G in Citrus

COTTON (at-large vs at-large)
G5 slot vs Oklahoma/Baylor

CITRUS
Alabama vs ACC, as ORANGE will probably go B1G with Penn State

OUTBACK
Probably Michigan, but the B1G will lobby for Minnesota.
I can only see Minnesota, if the opponent is Florida.

GATOR
If Minnesota to Outback, then Michigan to Holiday and Iowa to Jacksonville, where we would probably play Auburn. Yikes!

CFP/NY6:

ROSE (B1G vs Pac 12)

SUGAR (SEC vs Big 12)

CITRUS

OUTBACK

GATOR
If Minnesota to Outback, then Michigan to Holiday and Iowa to Jacksonville, where we would probably play Auburn. Yikes!
Can someone show me this rule about Penn State making the Orange bowl as an at large, against an ACC opponent meaning that ACC gets the Citrus bowl spot from the B1G?

How does that even make sense if an ACC team still goes to the Orange Bowl? It’s not like if it’s not Penn State Vs UVA it would be an ACC team Vs UVA.

CFP/NY6:

ROSE (B1G vs Pac 12)

SUGAR (SEC vs Big 12)

CITRUS

OUTBACK

GATOR

Citrus could be Alabama vs Notre Dame

Latest posts