Bowl game NOT coming to Wrigley Field in 2020

Almost a certainty 5-7 teams will go on the regular now. Should eliminate three of them.
Word is Ol Frosty lobbied hard for these extra bowl games. Said it “isn’t fair” his boys don’t get the extra practices and bowl game experiences like other schools do...

No plans for a bowl were scrapped in 2018 less than 2 months after it was announced. There will be no bowl game at Wrigley

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-wrigley-field-bowl-game-off-20180726-story.html?outputType=amp

You realize that article is almost 2 years old and the headline even reads "off for now". If the rumors are true in that the NCAA is adding 3 bowls this year then Chicago could be one of them. Chicago and Myrtle Beach are 2 likely destinations getting bowl games.

Here's what they can do. Identify one team from the Big Ten and one team from the ACC who are likely to end up no better than 6-6. Offer them the chance to play in the pre-season Chicago Bowl game, to be played the last Saturday of August. That way they're guaranteed to play in a bowl game as opposed to being left out if their season flames out. Sure it's a risk, but one that a school might be willing to take, the ol' bird in the hand mentality.

As for the game, have Bill Murray sing the National Anthem AND Take Me Out To The Ball Game (with some lyric revisions) between the 3rd and 4th Quarters. If a ball from the ACC team ends up in the stands, the fan can throw it back on the field. Leave the pitcher's mound, home plate and the bases in place. It will create some excitement and interesting plays. And, the fans can come in t-shirts and shorts. It's no less absurd than playing a bowl game in Chicago in December.

According to my calculations, only one time (2006) did a 6-6 Iowa team attend a bowl game. Iowa was 6-5 in 1993 and played Cal in a bowl (Alamo?). Kirk took a couple of 7-5 teams to bowl games (2010 and 2017). the 2010 and 2017 teams were good teams.

Bowl games are rewards for the players and the fans. They should be viewed as such. I'm in favor of bowls. Bowls are unique experiences for those who play and those who attend. They are a celebration of the team, the school and the fan base.

Only a few teams make the playoffs as now constituted (4), and almost all of them have been warm weather teams. The rest play in bowl games. Playing in (and winning) a bowl game still matters. Beating a ranked USC team on national television was meaningful for Iowa.

If I were czar, I would require a winning record to qualify for a bowl game, but in the final analysis it really doesn't matter that much. It is about the experience.

If I were czar, I would require a winning record to qualify for a bowl game

Personally, I'd rather watch a game between 4-8 South Carolina and 5-7 Nebraska on a random Tuesday night in December than anything else that is on TV in that period save for perhaps an Iowa-ISU basketball game or a better bowl game.

Latest posts