Bowl Game 2023

NCHawker

Its safe to say Iowa won't play Kentuckey 3 consecutive years. Actually Iowa played KY twice in 2022. Jan 1 and December 31. Lets look ahead

Big Ten Bowl Ties, Affiliations​

The Big Ten Champion usually is automatically in the Rose Bowl - if it's not selected for the College Football Playoff - but not this season since the Rose is a College Football Playoff semifinal. The Big Ten gets a team into one of the New Year's Six bowls no matter what.

The Big Ten alternates with the SEC between the Las Vegas Bowl (2023, 2025) and Duke's Mayo Bowl (2024). This year, the Big Ten is expected to go to the Las Vegas Bowl.

This is the expected Big Ten bowl pecking order. There will likely be more eligible Big Ten teams than set spots, so expect them to take up a few ESPN owned and operated bowl games.

1. College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected

Capital One Orange Bowl vs ACC
The SEC or Big Ten will play the ACC

2. Cheez-It Citrus Bowl vs SEC
3. ReliaQuest Bowl vs SEC
4. Duke's Mayo Bowl vs ACC
5. TransPerfect Music City Bowl vs SEC
6. Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl vs Big Ten
7. Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs Big 12
8. Quick Lane Bowl vs MAC

ESPN's experts have Iowa going to the Citrus Bowl playing Ole Miss or Tennessee.
You know, I would have thought that too, but check this bit out from CBS:

"The Big Ten's no-repeat rule could end up creating some difficulty filling its bowl matchups this season. Iowa is now on track to win the Big Ten West after beating Wisconsin. They Hawkeyes could finish 11-2 yet not likely qualify for a New Year's Six game. Normally, they would be easy to slot into the Citrus Bowl, but Iowa just played there in 2021, so they cannot repeat.

Iowa would also be ineligible for the Music City Bowl amid the no-repeat rule, and the Big Ten's spot in the Reliaquest Bowl goes to ACC in this projection because Ohio State is in the Orange Bowl, so that is not an option for Iowa, either. As a result, Iowa lands in the Las Vegas Bowl in these projections."

Now, I find it really hard to believe that an 11-2 isn't ranked in the top 12. But pollsters tend to make Iowa the last ranked whatever loss team.

I believe the Duke' Mayo bowl and Las Vegas Bowl alternate years for the Big Ten, and I think this year is the Las Vegas Bowl's turn. I have seen a lot of early projections with Iowa going to the Las Vegas Bowl.

I know there was a one repeat only rule for the bowl contracts from 2016-2021. I also know the Pinstripe originally had a 8 teams in 8 years rule from 2014-2021 which got extended to 2022 because of Covid.

But I am not sure what the Big Ten agreed to when they extended some of their bowl contracts to 2025. Does Pinstripe extend to mean 11 straight different teams? At some point teams need to repeat.

Not that it matters, but I think you could simulations right now and like 80% of them would have Iowa in the Las Vegas bowl this year. Whether they go 6-6 or 11-1 in the regular season, it feels like they'll be in the Las Vegas bowl this year. Just not a lot of options for the Hawks.

Right now I really doubt Iowa can finish 11-2 even though they will be probably favored in every regular season game the offense just isn't good enough to overcome a 10-point deficit. And although Iowa is good at creating its own luck, Iowa is going to have one of those games where it falls behind due to bad breaks.

With that said Iowa will probably still win the West, even with 1 or 2 more losses then lose the CCG with a 9-4 record before it's bowl.

For fun, let's say Iowa wins out the regular season in the same KF fumblefuck fashion we have to this point. At best, maybe Iowa climbs up to 12th or so through just gravity of other teams ahead of them losing.

And let's say that someone comes out of the East unscathed. That team will be the #1 team in the nation, having knocked out the other 2 Top 5 teams.

Finally, let's say that BF has his once a year great game and Iowa somehow steals a win. Do you honestly keep a 1-loss Big Ten Champ, who just beat the best team in the country, out of the playoffs???? I mean, the answer is probably yes. Still fun to dream.

For fun, let's say Iowa wins out the regular season in the same KF fumblefuck fashion we have to this point. At best, maybe Iowa climbs up to 12th or so through just gravity of other teams ahead of them losing.

And let's say that someone comes out of the East unscathed. That team will be the #1 team in the nation, having knocked out the other 2 Top 5 teams.

Finally, let's say that BF has his once a year great game and Iowa somehow steals a win. Do you honestly keep a 1-loss Big Ten Champ, who just beat the best team in the country, out of the playoffs???? I mean, the answer is probably yes. Still fun to dream.
Probably still out but it's nice to still be in the discussion after 7 games.

Okay dudes, it's Monday. We have a new quarterback who is 2-0 as a starter. This squad is going 12-1 and will be the first team iced out of the playoff. Until someone beats Deacon Hill, I'm gonna assume the guy is unstoppable. The title game is gonna be like that time Wisconsin played Braska and hung 70 on them with Iowa coming out on the winning end by utilizing a series of jet sweeps and end arounds the likes of which the world has never seen.

No more of this negative energy "oh we can't go to the Citrus Bowl" shit. This team is going to a NY6 game. It is fate.

Probably still out but it's nice to still be in the discussion after 7 games

The winner of the SEC gets in by godly decree, of course. IF FSU, Okie, or Washington run the table they will make too, but I bet two of the three don't. Let's also say PSU is the team that makes it out of the East unbeaten. If Iowa wins the rematch, none of the 1-loss teams would have a better win than Iowa or a better loss. The trouble is that the rest of Iowa's schedule has been dogshit. Still.....

As you noted, fun to be in the discussion.

Okay dudes, it's Monday. We have a new quarterback who is 2-0 as a starter. This squad is going 12-1 and will be the first team iced out of the playoff. Until someone beats Deacon Hill, I'm gonna assume the guy is unstoppable. The title game is gonna be like that time Wisconsin played Braska and hung 70 on them with Iowa coming out on the winning end by utilizing a series of jet sweeps and end arounds the likes of which the world has never seen.

No more of this negative energy "oh we can't go to the Citrus Bowl" shit. This team is going to a NY6 game. It is fate.
Iowa has been so unlucky this year with injuries.

If Iowa had McNamara and either Lachey or All healthy, I might agree with you.

But all 3 are gone. Maybe the Deacon will improve. He really need to get better for Iowa to get better on offense.

It's too bad because the O-Line is really making it happen right now.

Would that actually happen? No way.

Would Iowa make the playoffs at 12-1 If that happened? It depends. If the east winner was undefeated before the CCG, then probably Iowa makes the Playoffs if Iowa wins the CCG. . If there was a 3way tie for first in the east, it could be trickier.

The Las Vegas bowl sounds great until you see that it's on December 23rd. Would be a tough sell to convince the wife that we should skip family Christmas' to take the kids to Vegas instead.

Not all bad

Seems like the Citrus Bowl would actually be in play. The only rule I could find is that the Citrus needs to take 5 different teams over 6 years. Looks like 5 different teams the last 5 years, so assume Iowa would still be on the table?

At first I saw Citrus with Ole Miss and had flashbacks to the Outback Bowl with those god-forsaken cowbells. Then remembered that was Miss St and not Ole Miss.

Iowa has been so unlucky this year with injuries.

If Iowa had McNamara and either Lachey or All healthy, I might agree with you.

But all 3 are gone. Maybe the Deacon will improve. He really need to get better for Iowa to get better on offense.

It's too bad because the O-Line is really making it happen right now.

Deacon is 2-0 as a starter with a win at Camp freaking Randall. What in the hell more can we ask of the kid? I can tell by the cut of his jib that he is not another Randy Reiners/Jake Christensen guy. He's a baller. He's going to do something ridiculous. So ridiculous that he will never pay for a beer in Iowa City ever again after he graduates. I just see it.

Latest posts