Bowen Video Coordinator?

Holy cow. A 10 year NBA veteran as the video coordinator? If this happens, this staff could be unbelievable.

I am sure he has the money to take a position like this but he is a smart person and there must be a progression strategy if taking this position.

Sucks for Weick, as he was a great guy and did an awesome job for the university.

However, Bowen as a video coordinator? Holy crap. This coaching staff is on pace to be insane. We already have an assistant who is the equivalent of a head coach.

Complete insanity. I love it.

Whatever happens, Barta made the right move in letting Lickliter go. This staff is bringing in talent in the asst coach side of things, as well as former Hawkeyes. So awesome.

Barta seems to have found lightening in a bottle here.

You think Bowen was considering the GA spot, and announcing him as video coordinator will open things up to name Horner as GA? Or do you think Fran has gotten such interest by reconnecting with former Hawkeyes that he is still going through candidates?

Any chance Acie is interested? I believe he is already in grad school at Iowa. Think of that? Bowen as video coordinator, Acie as GA...convince Rodell to come back for that third slot. Maybe a pipe dream, but I'm starting to think this Fran guy must be pretty persuasive (and genuine). I'm guessing having Francis talk to Rodell wouldn't hurt, either.

Does anyone know what video coordinator pays? This came up in an email thread with friends regarding Bowen taking the job. Wieck isn't listed in the 2009 database of salaries I checked through the Press Citizen. I checked both the spelling from the Gazette and they way Stormin' spelled it, too. Nothing. I find it odd that he wasn't listed.

I suspect that job can earn whatever Iowa wants to pay.
I hope his happens.
Ryan is only 34,and many a head coach has started in this fashion.
Clearly, Ryan could expect to move up in a year or two ,with the amount of turnover that occurs in college bb...Speraw could be a head coaching candidate in a couple of years.
A staff of Fran,Kirk,Francis,a unnamed super recruiter-type,Horner and Bowen would kick some butt!!

Wow, Bowen as the video coordinator??? HOLY CRAP!!!! Get Horner as the GA, then whoever Fran likes best as the third assistant. That would be an unbelievable staff, just like JHHawk said.

Too bad for Justin if this is true. He is a great guy and has done a wonderful job for the hawks.

Completely true....JW is my brother in law, we found out about the move last night. Our family will be about the only people bummed about the change, but we are all huge Hawk fans and graduates so there are conflicting feelings right now. Justin will continue his coaching career elsewhere and we can only hope and dream that he comes back to Iowa City someday! He is Black and Gold to the bone and we appreciate all he did for the staffs that he worked/played for!!!

Go Hawks!!

Completely true....JW is my brother in law, we found out about the move last night. Our family will be about the only people bummed about the change, but we are all huge Hawk fans and graduates so there are conflicting feelings right now. Justin will continue his coaching career elsewhere and we can only hope and dream that he comes back to Iowa City someday! He is Black and Gold to the bone and we appreciate all he did for the staffs that he worked/played for!!!

Go Hawks!!

Completely true that JW will not be retained, or that Ryan Bowen will be his replacement?

Go Hawks!!

It is obvious from this and past threads the Justin is a guy that is very well respected. Hopefully he continues working in a field he is passionate about and is able to hook on somewhere very quickly.

Thanks to JW! Love true Hawks! Best wishes.
I'd still like to see Bowen as asst3. However, if he's VC, and Horner is GA, that would be a nice-looking staff. Maybe Rodell Davis, Kevin Gamble (have not heard anything about him in a while), possibly the former DePaul asst? Certainly a stud recruiter would help re-build the roster at a quicker pace. 1-2 difference-makers on the court can turn a basketball program around. Go Hawks!

Well, since the guy said he was Wieck's brother in law, I would say the former and not the latter.

Maybe, I should have rephrased my post. I get that he is talking about JW not being retained. My question was in reference to whether or not he also had any insight on the Bowen rumor.

Is it "completely true" only that JW will not be retained, or also that Bowen is his replacement?

Go Hawks!!

JW seemed like a good guy ,so hopefully something will turn up soon for him. I doubt anyone is happy that he is moving on,only that Bowen might be joining the staff in some capacity.
Hang in there,JW!!

Maybe, I should have rephrased my post. I get that he is talking about JW not being retained. My question was in reference to whether or not he also had any insight on the Bowen rumor.

Is it "completely true" only that JW will not be retained, or also that Bowen is his replacement?

Bowen will be the replacement. Sorry if that wasn't posted clearly.

Latest posts