Bowen Born's Relationship with Iowa Rapidly Advancing

We could certainly use BB. He is a more complete point guard than we have had for a while. His scoring ability seems automatic. If he continues to improve we will have 3 solid shooters on the floor in 2/3 years if JoeW sticks around. JoeW, PMac and BB would certainly be fun to watch.....

I wonder when he received credit for assists. He averages about 4 APG. On the video I never saw him pass the ball.....

:cool:
If you pass, you don't score.

Can he defend in the B10? That's his question mark. The kid can shoot it...has a great handle...and offensively could be a major contributor. It's not fair to say he can't defend larger point guards at this point, it's just a question he needs to answer.

Definitely a fall-back choice, no way will he defend the players in the Big, a very JBo type player. Wouldn't mind having him work his way into playing time at Iowa but looking at his competition in this video impossible to tell if he can get his shot off against D1 players. Looks very beat up already not the type of player Iowa desperately needs.

Being a "fall-back" type of recruit is how it's looking with Fran not offering yet. Nobody is saying Iowa desperately needs him. He's an instate player that's undersized but has game. Why not take a flyer on him instead of potentially banking a scholarship? It's not like offering him will deter the top recruits Fran is after.

Let's be real here, it's doubtful Fran lands a top PG prospect the next few years anyway with Connor and Joe T in the fold for the foreseeable future. Why not add Born to the 2020-2021 team that could also include JBo if he's unable to go in 2019-2020. Having 3 other PGs on the team would allow Fran to redshirt Born, let him add strength, and see what he has in him. If he develops great, if not, what's the harm? Fran can always go find another player to fill the future PG void when he can actually sell playing time to recruits.

Can he defend in the B10? That's his question mark. The kid can shoot it...has a great handle...and offensively could be a major contributor. It's not fair to say he can't defend larger point guards at this point, it's just a question he needs to answer.

you are right on. for me, the question over whether he can/can't guard larger pg's is simply because BB is so small. this is why i'm in favor of signing BB, but only if he RS to gain muscle and strength.

Agreed, his size and the resulting hit to his defensive potential is why he hasn't been receiving high major offers yet. Which is why IMO it's worth taking a flyer on him and letting him redshirt for a year. Maybe he grows a few inches, maybe not. Maybe he adds some muscle, maybe not.

The truth of the matter is, Iowa actually appears to have some PG depth the next few years, especially if JBo misses next season. That would mean potentially having 3 PGs on the team in 2020-2021 that Fran can rely on while he lets BB redshirt. If BB develops great, if not, really no harm done. Fran will know what he has in BB and still have time to go out and find Connor's and Joe'Ts replacement if BB isn't up to the task.

Agreed, his size and the resulting hit to his defensive potential is why he hasn't been receiving high major offers yet. Which is why IMO it's worth taking a flyer on him and letting him redshirt for a year. Maybe he grows a few inches, maybe not. Maybe he adds some muscle, maybe not.

The truth of the matter is, Iowa actually appears to have some PG depth the next few years, especially if JBo misses next season. That would mean potentially having 3 PGs on the team in 2020-2021 that Fran can rely on while he lets BB redshirt. If BB develops great, if not, really no harm done. Fran will know what he has in BB and still have time to go out and find Connor's and Joe'Ts replacement if BB isn't up to the task.

Very well put. Thinking the same thing. An extra year to develop will help most players bodies coming to college.

He clearly has some offensive talent. Reminds me of what Jbo was coming out of high school in regards to teams not offering. Not necessarily their games, but lack of interest because of size.

Very well put. Thinking the same thing. An extra year to develop will help most players bodies coming to college.

He clearly has some offensive talent. Reminds me of what Jbo was coming out of high school in regards to teams not offering. Not necessarily their games, but lack of interest because of size.

He kind of reminds me of Nick Norton. Similar body type. More explosive though indicted by his hops and ability to dunk the ball.

I recorded a Hawkeye History podcast with Jeff Horner yesterday that will drop next week.

He really likes Born. He said the only concern is the size but the skills are Big Ten level. He believes Iowa should offer. Horner recruits the state of Iowa pretty hard at Truman State and has seen Born a bunch.

I recorded a Hawkeye History podcast with Jeff Horner yesterday that will drop next week.

He really likes Born. He said the only concern is the size but the skills are Big Ten level. He believes Iowa should offer. Horner recruits the state of Iowa pretty hard at Truman State and has seen Born a bunch.

Did he offer Born? Can he publicly talk about a recruit? :D

He has the potential it seems to be a high quality irritant defender if not a shut down defender. If he is interested in playing some defense, he could inspire the Iowa players! And coaches?

I really like BB. He is quick, has very good lateral moves and a natural scorer's intensity

He should be able to hone his skills his last season at Norwalk

He just might start attracting more attention if he grows another inch or two and polishes his defensive skills

Might be a good idea to wrap him up Now, B4 the sharks start circling

Carson Edwards was a rather short lad also

Wonder whose offer opinion I should value...
JH or the sage talent bb evaluators of HN?
Jeff’s right.

I really like BB. He is quick, has very good lateral moves and a natural scorer's intensity

He should be able to hone his skills his last season at Norwalk

He just might start attracting more attention if he grows another inch or two and polishes his defensive skills

Might be a good idea to wrap him up Now, B4 the sharks start circling

Carson Edwards was a rather short lad also

Carson Edward's was a 4 star recruit. I don't know if it's fair to compare those two. I think the JBo comparison is a little more fair. Except JBo was one of the top in state players for a 4A school compared to BB at a 3A school. He looks to have the skill on offense. It's just a question of if BB would get pushed around in the BIG 10.

Wonder whose offer opinion I should value...
JH or the sage talent bb evaluators of HN?
Jeff’s right.

Not sure if I should take offense to this post or not. Most of us have been saying basically the exact same as what Rob mentioned Jeff's opinion was.:)

I don't wanna jinx this...and we prolly need approval/confirmation from @tksirius ...but a redshirt allows an extra year to get a couple extra looks at mom...who may/may not look promising, pending tk's review.

It’s my understanding he’s already grown a couple inches since the end of basketball season. With our offense 1st approach I will be surprised if he isn’t offered at some point.

Latest posts