Boston Globe Reports Sunday 3/28/10

His wife may be more interesting than he is per wikipedia:

His wife Margaret, a former stand out player at Notre Dame, has become notorious for publicly critizing officials and drawing negative attention to her husband's teams. This has surrounded Fran with controversy that has prevented him from securing higher profile coaching positions.

Margaret and Fran were both ejected from the same game for fighting with officials.

His wife Margaret, a former stand out player at Notre Dame, has become notorious for publicly critizing officials and drawing negative attention to her husband's teams. This has surrounded Fran with controversy that has prevented him from securing higher profile coaching positions.

Margaret and Fran were both ejected from the same game for fighting with officials.

I read that too, it sounds like she still has the competitiive juices flowing.

Oh my. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/sports/ncaabasketball/09maac.html

It has been discussed for every other supposedly candidate so what does his offense - defense look like? Recruiting skills? Ethics?

Well, he will be happy with the cuurent roster. He hasn't recruited anything there. Look at the list and who else wanted them.

His whole resume is winning a conference Rivals does not even list and 2 NCAA tournament wins.

Good luck Gary. (but he is a head coach, gotta be better than Forbes, just a lowly assistant, right)

Hire this guy. Love the fire! I am sure she has learned her lesson about where to vent, but I gotta believe that she is a part of her husband's success. Having a partner with the same drive for success is awesome.

I mean don't be afraid of a little color.

Beyond that, this guy is a freaking winner.

If he is announced (which I have a very hard time believing that Barta would do this.) Gary needs to have his head checked out. It looks to me like the ONLY reason he gets in the tournament is winning that conference tournament.

It has been discussed for every other supposedly candidate so what does his offense - defense look like? Recruiting skills? Ethics?

From what I've gathered so far he's a solid recruiter, good bench coach, and he has graduated 100% of his players at Siena. More importantly he has proven he can rebuild a program and rebuild it quickly. Of course he's done none of this at the Big Ten level.

This smells like a lesser hire than 3 years ago. Somebody tell me that there's more to it, like a 1st asst being an ex-Hawkeye, or Steve Forbes.... something, anything...

Hire this guy. Love the fire! I am sure she has learned her lesson about where to vent, but I gotta believe that she is a part of her husband's success. Having a partner with the same drive for success is awesome.

I mean don't be afraid of a little color.

Beyond that, this guy is a freaking winner.

If he is hired, his wife needs to be put in charge of organizing the student section at CHA.

If this is Gary's guy, what the heck has taken so long? Or has Barta just been turned down by his other candidates? It's not like this guy hasn't been available. He lost to Purdue in the 1st round of the tournament. I would rather have Lavin, Gregory or even Forbes over this guy.

From what I've gathered so far he's a solid recruiter, good bench coach, and he has graduated 100% of his players at Siena. More importantly he has proven he can rebuild a program and rebuild it quickly. Of course he's done none of this at the Big Ten level.

Or coached any place higher than the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference....

Well, I guessed we'd hire a coach who would bring excitement back to Iowa basketball. I just didn't think it would be the coaches wife and seeing her ejected during a game.

I'd rather see Forbes than this one and that's saying something.

If this is Gary's guy, what the heck has taken so long? Or has Barta just been turned down by his other candidates? It's not like this guy hasn't been available. He lost to Purdue in the 1st round of the tournament. I would rather have Lavin, Gregory or even Forbes over this guy.

I don't think the search is over. Barta has to at least be turned down by Pearl and Drew. And it would be nice if he'd interview Forbes, if for no other reason than because he's gone on record as saying it's his dream job.

Ethics. He signed an extension last year after his big 2 point win over Ohio St, to take him to 2018. Said that is where he wanted to be. Looks like he went to the same PR classes the others go to.

I have no idea how he relates to an Iowa fan base.

Easy to have kids graduate when you recruit guys who play 4 or 5 years and nobody else wants them.

After all this program has been through, Barta goes and does it again. He must like coaches with glasses.

Last edited:

Latest posts