Boom - Deacon Hill

I just know that I saw Lainez can scramble and move both away from trouble as well as vertically. You don't need to see 10 games to know that. Iowa hasn't had anyone with that ability in 7-8 years. McNamara can't. With our receivers and OL, being able to do that isn't optional IMO.

Look, I'm under no illusion that CM isn't going to be the starter come September unless he dings himself up in camp. I am however predicting that either CM is going to reinjure himself, or he's going to have the same performance he did last year trying to avoid DEs and linebackers with no open receivers and bum knees. I also stand by my opinion that CM was over-hyped.
I don't know how you overhype the #1 available QB in the portal. If I told you that next year Iowa could land a transfer who was rated as the #1 QB in the portal and only one year removed from leading his team to one of the 4 major conference titles and the playoffs with respectable stats in doing so, would you take that kid or pass because he might get injured, or be overhyped, or be a "miss"? I will take that kid every day and twice on Sunday, site unseen. Let us not forget that Iowa pulled off this voodoo coming off statistically the worst year in modern football history on offense and being a national joke offensively with an OC who had to agree to training wheels in his contract.

Was there hype? Your damn right there was! And, it was justified!! Then the damn kid got injured in a scrimmage in front of all of us and the hype turned to Wa wa waaaaaa.....

I don't disagree with the reasonableness of your injury prediction or the need/hope that we better have a good backup ready to go. But, until I see a healthy CM on the field consistently playing poorly, I will not buy into the "miss" or "overhyped" arguments.

Neither. He is fine. Would be a good back up QB if Cade goes down and Lainez isn't up to snuff. He has good size and some experience, so I will take him. Don't think we will do much better given that we are Iowa.
Hell, ya bring him in letting him know he has a chance to compete for the starting job.

Huck, I think its just too early to know what Marco can do, other than run.

Your premise is he didn't show those skills in the 4th quarter of a blowout loss-which really is all we know about Marco. Very small sample of plays. I'm sure the receivers weren't playing very hard and the average at best OL was probably not too excited. Basically the whole offense looked eager to just get it over with in the last two games.

Of course, the added benefit of the OC change. I don't think BF knew anything about QBs. There really can only be improvement.
Yup. No disagreement from me. The “too early to tell” was what I was getting at. I still think bringing someone else in through the portal would be wise. Wild card could be Resar. If the coaches think he could come in and be a serious contender as a true fresh, then so be it.

Plus, it would a very weird statistical probability that we have 5 consecutive years of bad QB play. That has never happened since Bob Comings was around-almost 50 years ago.

It would be weird if it was random, but this is systemic. We had a bad QB recruiter/coach in place for the past 5 years, which explains the trend.

I do think this should be something we can remedy quickly in the era of transfer portal with a new QB coach in place.

The use of the term "lost" seems like a stretch for most of these guys. They were told where they were at in the depth chart and they chose to leave. They were all either at least third string, or had shown enough in playing time to know they were not Big10 QBs.

Given that almost every team only plays one QB, its pretty common for backups to transfer. It happens in just about every program. These transfers do not bother me. Just part of the current environment in CFB.

You're talking in generalities with no data. Yes, more guys are going in the portal because they can, but that doesn't mean Iowa is in line with everybody else.

And, regardless of what is happening elsewhere, Iowa has done a poor job identifying prep QBs and then maybe done a worse job developing them.

Research also is important when stating that McNamara was the No. 1 QB in the portal last year.

He was not

I'm starting to feel more hopeful about Iowa's offense, I'm going to regret that.

Ahahahahaaa.
This is exactly what I was talking about yesterday. I see some notes and clips from the spring game.
Start thinking "the offense cannot be any worse than last year. Lots of defense still left in the tank."
And then I start getting excited. I tamp it down over the summer as summer activities set in and stuff. But then, August rolls around. Kids are getting ready to go back. You can almost smell the college football season. And all the sudden, it's back. Rose colored glasses and all.

I've sworn for 3 years I wouldn't let it happen again.

And yet. Here we are. "I'm starting to feel more hopeful about Iowa's offense" as well.

Ahahahahaaa.
This is exactly what I was talking about yesterday. I see some notes and clips from the spring game.
Start thinking "the offense cannot be any worse than last year. Lots of defense still left in the tank."
And then I start getting excited. I tamp it down over the summer as summer activities set in and stuff. But then, August rolls around. Kids are getting ready to go back. You can almost smell the college football season. And all the sudden, it's back. Rose colored glasses and all.

I've sworn for 3 years I wouldn't let it happen again.

And yet. Here we are. "I'm starting to feel more hopeful about Iowa's offense" as well.

I remember thinking heading into the 2022 season, "There is no way we can form a functional offense with this receiving corps." That sentiment has not changed in the nearly 24 months since that point. Maybe we have guys on the roster that can surprise, and maybe a change in scheme can unmask talent that has been here all along. But I am in see it to believe it mode.

You're talking in generalities with no data. Yes, more guys are going in the portal because they can, but that doesn't mean Iowa is in line with everybody else.

And, regardless of what is happening elsewhere, Iowa has done a poor job identifying prep QBs and then maybe done a worse job developing them.

Research also is important when stating that McNamara was the No. 1 QB in the portal last year.

He was not

Fair point on McNamara. I was talking out of my ass. I knew he was highly ranked, but I was probably crossing my wires with the Proctor deal.

I agree I provided no data on where Iowa sits relative to its peers regarding QB transfers. Of course, I have not seen data supporting that Iowa is out of line with everyone else in this regard to QB transfers. Hell, Nebraska has 2-3 QBs a year transfer out.

As I said in my post, if your criticism of Iowa here was bad recruiting and development of QBs under BF, you will get no argument from me. That is not the way I read your post.

Fair enough. "lost" was probably a poor choice of verbs. Guys leave for various reasons, some because they can't cut it, others because they want something different, and a ton of other considerations.

Iowa needs to figure out QB and WR yesterday. Those positions have been woeful this decade.

He was not

Wow.

In addition to Hill, the Hawkeyes have signed and lost quarterbacks Alex Padilla, Deuce Hogan, Joe Labas and Carson May to the transfer portal since the 2019 recruiting class.

5 QBs in 5 years? In this day and age, that's pretty minimal. I'm quite sure that # would be one of the lowest in the BTen, from Ohio St. to Nebraska!

People are biased thinking CM is a stud because 1) he came from Michigan, and 2) there was so much fanfare when he signed. Unwarranted. He was a miss and people need to get over it.

The question is whether he or Lainez is better and whether KF wants to admit it.
No. Iowa fans think he's a stud because he played well while leading Michigan to the Big Ten title. Period.
He was indeed a 'miss' on Year 1. Will he be a 'miss' on Year 2? Likely, yes.
Is Lainez better? Well, certainly running the ball, yes. Passing and running the offense? TBD.
Would KF ever admit it? No chance.

He was not

I don’t have hard evidence but I think that it’s definitely like you said a development issue. I have a hard time believing that we’ve been that bad at identifying talent. I’m cautiously optimistic that Lester will be a huge improvement on that front. I have seen many lesser programs that have serviceable quarterbacks. The other thing is that our offensive line has been complete garbage and I’m not sure that any quarterback would look decent with our line. Our quarterbacks would have been much better with a good offensive line.

Yup. No disagreement from me. The “too early to tell” was what I was getting at. I still think bringing someone else in through the portal would be wise. Wild card could be Resar. If the coaches think he could come in and be a serious contender as a true fresh, then so be it.
We know that Resar won't play-no true freshmen ever play at Iowa and that is not going to change. Too bad because he is fast and athletic, and a natural runner.

I've never understood not playing a freshman to play a kind of sink hole at QB.

Spot on re portal QB. Accidentally forgot to include that point. My worst case scenario has already been obviated-won't see Hill behind center. Things are already getting better.

Last edited:
We know that Resar won't play-no true freshmen ever play at Iowa and that is not going to change. Too bad because he is fast and athletic, and a natural runner.

I've never understood not playing a freshman to play a kind sink hole at QB.

Spot on re portal QB. Accidentally forgot to include that point. My worst case scenario has already been obviated-won't see Hill behind center. Things are already getting better.
Just for giggles: What if Resar was really impressive, to the point that our new OC went to KF and told him that he was #2 on the depth chart. Then our starter gets hurt, as predicted by the experts. OC says, “I think Resar is ready and can run my RPO.“ Would KF acquiesce? I know this is far fetched. Well, sort of. I think KF would say, “OK.”

It would be weird if it was random, but this is systemic. We had a bad QB recruiter/coach in place for the past 5 years, which explains the trend.

I do think this should be something we can remedy quickly in the era of transfer portal with a new QB coach in place.
That's a good point, we certainly missed on recruits. We will all be double thinking this proposition. If Cade stays healthy and gets a decent pocket he might have a great year. The kid has bad luck with injuries which is certainly due for some luck.

Iowa needs to figure out … WR yesterday. Those positions have been woeful this decade.
I don’t know how you even begin to do that at Iowa. Unless there’s a ton of money involved how do you even approach a really good prep or someone in the portal and still get taken serious? I mean maybe you could make some promises about having a new OC and so on but I’d think it would be like trying to sell snow to an Eskimo.

Latest posts