Bohannon stats

Hawkfnntn

Have you all seen Jons new article https://www.hawkeyenation.com/basketball/hawkeye-statistical-superlatives
The dude is just as good of a shooter as there is pretty much. And to think it seems like he's struggled much of this year. And he got off to a slow start as a freshman. He didn't start the first 7-10 games or so if I remember right. Some of those projected numbers Jon put out there might be low balling him too. If he were to play well all year long his next two years good lord....

What I always keep my eye on is yearly improvement. College kids should improve every single year. It might not seem like it, but his sophomore year is all-around better than his freshman year. His points are up, his FG% is up, his 3P% is up, his FT% is up, his assists are up, his turnovers are down.

This year he ranked 5th in the big ten in assist/TO ratio, 1st in 3 pointers made, 2nd in assists, and 8th in 3P% (with the most attempts). It should also be noted that he's not even in the top 10 in minutes played in the big ten either.

We can argue all day about if he's a true point guard or not, but he's easily on pace to have a 15 point, 6 assist season next year with a 3:1 assist/TO ratio and shooting 45% from 3. That's a damn good season.

Garza has crazy stats too. He could end up top 4 freshman scorer, top freshman rebounder, and 4th best freshman in blocks. That's nuts.

What I always keep my eye on is yearly improvement. College kids should improve every single year. It might not seem like it, but his sophomore year is all-around better than his freshman year. His points are up, his FG% is up, his 3P% is up, his FT% is up, his assists are up, his turnovers are down.

This year he ranked 5th in the big ten in assist/TO ratio, 1st in 3 pointers made, 2nd in assists, and 8th in 3P% (with the most attempts). It should also be noted that he's not even in the top 10 in minutes played in the big ten either.

We can argue all day about if he's a true point guard or not, but he's easily on pace to have a 15 point, 6 assist season next year with a 3:1 assist/TO ratio and shooting 45% from 3. That's a damn good season.

He's a true point guard who sucks at defense.

My boss comes in every day after and Iowa game- He's a huge Husker fan and sports fan in general and always says "Man I LOVE that Bohannon kid... are the Hawkeye fans still railing on him for being bad?" and I just hang my head. My boss loves to think Iowa fans are dumb of course. Jordan's got a lot of defensive issues, but he's going to end up one of my favorite Hawks to ever play here.

Loved this interview with Andy Katz last night.

Reactions: DJL
The kid is just an average looking 6' 175 ish lb white dude. But what he's doing is anything but average. As has been well established he's not going to win any underwear Olympics competitions and wouldn't be picked first on any playground in America. But the kid is/should be an inspiration to any kid out there that isn't necessarily physically gifted to look at themselves and say if I work my butt off at ball handling/shooting there's a place for you at this level.
Think about it most of the higher level higher HS teams out there have PGs taller/bigger/more athletic then him. But he's out there doing ridiculously great things. Let's not take him for granted and enjoy what he's doing for the program on and off the court

My boss comes in every day after and Iowa game- He's a huge Husker fan and sports fan in general and always says "Man I LOVE that Bohannon kid... are the Hawkeye fans still railing on him for being bad?"
He's not bad, he's just not as good as Iowa media in particular make him out to be. He doesn't play D well and doesn't handle man/double team coverage well, especially against good teams like Penn State, Purdue, and Michigan. Those teams completely shut him down by playing man and double teaming him. At that point, how much benefit is a player when he's not doing the one thing he's exceptional at. And let's face it, the Big Ten isn't exactly a model of basketball skill this year.

Again, I didn't say he's bad. He's just not the lord Jesus like Morehouse, Leistikow, et al say he is.

Get him on the floor with a Jok or Gesell, though and you have a nightmare on your hands. Which sucks for both us and Bohannon.

He's not bad, he's just not as good as Iowa media in particular make him out to be. He doesn't play D well and doesn't handle man/double team coverage well, especially against good teams like Penn State, Purdue, and Michigan. Those teams completely shut him down by playing man and double teaming him. At that point, how much benefit is a player when he's not doing the one thing he's exceptional at. And let's face it, the Big Ten isn't exactly a model of basketball skill this year.

Again, I didn't say he's bad. He's just not the lord Jesus like Morehouse, Leistikow, et al say he is.

Get him on the floor with a Jok or Gesell, though and you have a nightmare on your hands. Which sucks for both us and Bohannon.

No, I get it - I definitely do. He's a liability on D - but I've maintained that would be covered up and he'd be better if he has a better 2 and 3 with him. In fact, I love when MD is playing now and JB goes to the 2. He just hasn't had a competent enough counterparts that are consistent enough. So, he has to handle the ball. I don't think that he's Lord Jesus either, I do however think that he shoulders the blame and hate from our fan base unfairly. Outsiders laugh at that because they watch the game and see how good Jordan is.

No, I get it - I definitely do. He's a liability on D - but I've maintained that would be covered up and he'd be better if he has a better 2 and 3 with him. In fact, I love when MD is playing now and JB goes to the 2. He just hasn't had a competent enough counterparts that are consistent enough. So, he has to handle the ball. I don't think that he's Lord Jesus either, I do however think that he shoulders the blame and hate from our fan base unfairly. Outsiders laugh at that because they watch the game and see how good Jordan is.

He's also near the top of the "best player to still get ripped on by fans" list.

Worse than his defense though, is his not being able to create shots. Penn State (both times), Michigan, and Purdue all came out to meet him and knew that they could help off our 5th man to double team him. Why? because it's obvious enough for anyone to see it, and they play smart D. Those teams totally shut Bohannon down (his threes especially). As I've said before, when Bohannon feels heat he does one of two things: he launches ridiculous, knee jerk threes from 28', or he forces sketchy passes...neither of which help the team. He needs to get himself out of jams and stop turtling up.

The Maryland game is a good example as well. He had 6 turnovers but 17 pts. Make that 1 or 2 turnovers and that game against a bad team maybe becomes winnable

We don't need Bohannon to become a defender. He's not built for that. We need him to learn how to deal with 6'6" defenders who are way faster than him and create those shots that Jok allowed him last year. If he can't learn how to do that, he's going to be a good player, not a great one.

Last edited:
Worse than his defense though, is his not being able to create shots. Penn State (both times), Michigan, and Purdue all came out to meet him and knew that they could help off our 5th man to double team him. Why? because it's obvious enough for anyone to see it, and they play smart D. Those teams totally shut Bohannon down (his threes especially). As I've said before, when Bohannon feels heat he does one of two things: he launches ridiculous, knee jerk threes from 28', or he forces sketchy passes. Neither of which help the team.

The Maryland game is a good example as well. He had 6 turnovers but 17 pts. Make that 1 or 2 turnovers and that game against a bad team maybe becomes winnable

We don't need Bohannon to become a defender. He's not built for that. We need him to learn how to deal with 6'6" defenders who are way faster than him and create those shots that Jok allowed him last year. If he can't learn how to do that, he's going to be a good player, not a great one.

I guess you didn't read the article, he's going to be the most prolific shooter in Iowa school history barring some sort of injury. I have no issue with any shot he takes, nor should you. He already shoots better then Jok. He doesn't shoot enough. He turns it over because he is THE ONLY person on the team that can handle the ball and other teams knows that. Every player struggles against better defenders, that's how sports work. His D is bad tho and there is NOTHING that is WORSE then his defense.

Last edited:
SIde note, I truly think we're going to be having this discussion about Garza in two years, not Bohannon. It's early, but that guy doesn't have those one or two major deficiencies that make you cringe.

SIde note, I truly think we're going to be having this discussion about Garza in two years, not Bohannon. It's early, but that guy doesn't have those one or two major deficiencies that make you cringe.

I think that Luka is potentially Iowa's best player on THIS roster. He's NOT currently, but IMO might end up that way. - I agree with you.

I guess you didn't read the article,

Sure did.

...he's going to be the most prolific shooter in Iowa school history barring some sort of injury.

That's debatable. If he has someone to draw defenders and get him open shots, maybe. If teams are going to learn how to play him (like good teams did this year), no.

I have no issue with any shot he takes, nor should you.
If that's the case, then what's the point of having a message board to talk sports? Every player on the Hawks roster is a better basketball player than any of us here. So we shouldn't discuss what we think should/shouldn't or will/won't happen?

He already shoots better then Jok.

So are you saying he's a more dominant player than Jok/ Because I do not agree with that at all and I don't think many people would. Clarify that if you can.

The game is played at both ends of the floor. I can't consider any player "great" if they only play on one end. Bohannon will go in the category of Brody Boyd/Kent McCausland types, as far as I'm concerned. I'll always appreciate their contribution to Iowa basketball but I won't ever put them on any all-time Iowa greats list.

Worse than his defense though, is his not being able to create shots. Penn State (both times), Michigan, and Purdue all came out to meet him and knew that they could help off our 5th man to double team him. Why? because it's obvious enough for anyone to see it, and they play smart D. Those teams totally shut Bohannon down (his threes especially). As I've said before, when Bohannon feels heat he does one of two things: he launches ridiculous, knee jerk threes from 28', or he forces sketchy passes...neither of which help the team. He needs to get himself out of jams and stop turtling up.

So many people say Bohannon would be good if he had better teammates so the opponents can't focus on him. That's a reflection of his teammates. Not a reflection of him.

The game is played at both ends of the floor. I can't consider any player "great" if they only play on one end. Bohannon will go in the category of Brody Boyd/Kent McCausland types, as far as I'm concerned. I'll always appreciate their contribution to Iowa basketball but I won't ever put them on any all-time Iowa greats list.

Agreed. You can say he's a great shooter, or great offensive player, but you can't call him a great player unless is defense gets to at least average.

Sure did.

That's debatable. If he has someone to draw defenders and get him open shots, maybe. If teams are going to learn how to play him (like good teams did this year), no.

If that's the case, then what's the point of having a message board to talk sports? Every player on the Hawks roster is a better basketball player than any of us here. So we shouldn't discuss what we think should/shouldn't or will/won't happen?

So are you saying he's a more dominant player than Jok/ Because I do not agree with that at all and I don't think many people would. Clarify that if you can.

He said he's a better shooter.

Sure did.

He leads the B1G in 3 pt shoots made and shoots over 42 % ! SHOOT MORE - SHOOT LOTS MORE. Shoot every time you can. That's all I am saying when I say, you should want him to shoot more too.

And of course, that's what the message board is for. For discussion. I didn't mean to poop on your opinion. I just don't see how you form that he takes bad shots when he leads the league in 3 pt's made and shoots 42% from there. He doesn't take a lot of 2's....so I don't understand the take?

and I do not think he's as dominant as Pete was as a senior. He's also a sophomore and he's going to DESTROY Jok's stats in every shape, way and form.

Latest posts