Bohannon on Upcoming Decision

He's playing through a lot of pain right now. Both hips are hurting.
It looked liked some of the games he has just not been right. If his hips are hurting that will lead to other things hurting as well. Back, knees, and who knows what he might be dealing with. I guess it will come down to does he want to fight thru it or shut it down and give it a go next year.

Stretch 5's in the NBA need to be more athletic than Garza. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and wouldn't trade him for anyone right now. But his future is in Europe.

I dunno...I've never felt Jokic was athletic. He's just big (7 foot, 250) and very smart and has all the fundamentals down pat. Not saying that's Garza is because he's not, but big men who can shoot and pass have a place in the NBA.

Not to mention Adam Woodbury is still in the G-league.

Garza just doesn’t have the footspeed of a guy like Kaminsky, and despite his work ethic that won’t likely change much. He is exposed in the pick and roll game often, luckily our rotations were better last night, but in the NBA game the court is even more spread and they have a defensive three seconds rule. He outplayed Oturu last night, but Oturu I’m sure is still a better prospect in the eyes of the NBA. Sometimes that happens, but all I know is I love that Garza is on our team.

I don't even compare guys like Garza to guys like Oturu because they're completely different players and will be treated completely differently by the NBA. I'd compare Garza's extreme upper ceiling to a Jokic, Kaminsky, Namanja Bjelica, or Dario Saric. Its highly unlikely he'll reach those levels obviously but guys like that have a spot in the NBA.

I don't even compare guys like Garza to guys like Oturu because they're completely different players and will be treated completely differently by the NBA. I'd compare Garza's extreme upper ceiling to a Jokic, Kaminsky, Namanja Bjelica, or Dario Saric. Its highly unlikely he'll reach those levels obviously but guys like that have a spot in the NBA.
Just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think Garza is probably close to NBA good on offense, but he would be such a defensive liability that his chances are just not great to crack it in that league. An NBA coach would put him in a ball screen situation on every single possession, and I believe he would get exposed.

At the end of the day I think we have a great college player and hopefully a 4 year kid. Some guys just aren’t built for the NBA, similar to Ethan Happ who had an amazing college career, but couldn’t cut it do to lack of a shot. In Garza’s case his limited lateral quickness will likely hold him back, again that’s just my opinion, I’d certainly love to be wrong.

I appreciate your optimism but I think Jokic is the only one I see in his general mold. But he doesn't have the fluidity, athleticism, or length of Bjelica, Kaminsky, or Saric.

Just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think Garza is probably close to NBA good on offense, but he would be such a defensive liability that his chances are just not great to crack it in that league. An NBA coach would put him in a ball screen situation on every single possession, and I believe he would get exposed.

At the end of the day I think we have a great college player and hopefully a 4 year kid. Some guys just aren’t built for the NBA, similar to Ethan Happ who had an amazing college career, but couldn’t cut it do to lack of a shot. In Garza’s case his limited lateral quickness will likely hold him back, again that’s just my opinion, I’d certainly love to be wrong.

I appreciate your optimism but I think Jokic is the only one I see in his general mold. But he doesn't have the fluidity, athleticism, or length of Bjelica, Kaminsky, or Saric.

I'm not saying I think it will happen, but I do think he'll get a shot. The blueprint is there.

NikeHawk21 proposed these minutes:

Wieskamp - 31
CJF - 31
Garza - 30
Cmac - 30
Toussaint - 28
Kriener - 20
Evelyn - 18
Pemsl - 12

I think this could be pretty close to it. I'd for sure add Till in there but he's a slender 6'7" and 200 lbs so he's not going to have a big inside presence and how many, really, would you give him? It sounds like there is still a chance Patrick plays so he'd get 10-15 I'd think and that would likely be Till's minutes. Between the three walk on; Hobbs, Ash, and Vanderloo, is there any chance we they could get some guard minutes, just to give others some rest?

But if I were these players, especially the starters, I'd love these minutes.

NikeHawk21 proposed these minutes:

Wieskamp - 31
CJF - 31
Garza - 30
Cmac - 30
Toussaint - 28
Kriener - 20
Evelyn - 18
Pemsl - 12

I think this could be pretty close to it. I'd for sure add Till in there but he's a slender 6'7" and 200 lbs so he's not going to have a big inside presence and how many, really, would you give him? It sounds like there is still a chance Patrick plays so he'd get 10-15 I'd think and that would likely be Till's minutes. Between the three walk on; Hobbs, Ash, and Vanderloo, is there any chance we they could get some guard minutes, just to give others some rest?

But if I were these players, especially the starters, I'd love these minutes.

Foul trouble would murder this team. Ouch.

Assuming no Jbo and no Pmac I think you could disperse the minutes something like this.

Wieskamp - 31
CJF - 31
Garza - 30
Cmac - 30
Toussaint - 28
Kriener - 20
Evelyn - 18
Pemsl - 12

The biggest jumpers would be Toussaint +14 minutes and Kriener +6 minutes. To be quite honest I would give Pemsl’s minutes to Till and here is why. Garza and Kriener are eating up all the 5 minutes, and Kriener would even be playing some at the 4, which is less than ideal. Till is much better suited to defend 4 men. Till is very limited on offense, but right now Pemsl isn’t bringing anything to the offensive end. He’s shooting 21% from the floor. You feel for the kid because he was pretty solid as a freshman, but right now he just doesn’t have it, his limitations far outweigh his strengths on this roster.

<<Till is very limited on offense...>>

I don't know, he seems to get rid of the uber-quick the second he has it in his hands. I was thinking he's a tall version of Ollie from "Hoosiers".

I dunno...I've never felt Jokic was athletic. He's just big (7 foot, 250) and very smart and has all the fundamentals down pat. Not saying that's Garza is because he's not, but big men who can shoot and pass have a place in the NBA.

Not to mention Adam Woodbury is still in the G-league.
He has some Jack Sikma in him...which is a good thing for his NBA future.

I don't think I would write off Pensl just yet. Being out for a year set him back no doubt but if I'm the coach I am going to be patient and nurture him back because I KNOW he is capable of helping this team. Once he gets his confidence back and can just go all out without slowing down to think he will be an asset. Plus the fact his back is out of whack isn't helping.

The Iowa State Game may be just what the Doctor ordered to get him going. How soon we forget he was the best player on the floor last year. He will still be a Hawk next year and that's a good thing.

I don't think I would write off Pensl just yet. Being out for a year set him back no doubt but if I'm the coach I am going to be patient and nurture him back because I KNOW he is capable of helping this team. Once he gets his confidence back and can just go all out without slowing down to think he will be an asset. Plus the fact his back is out of whack isn't helping.

The Iowa State Game may be just what the Doctor ordered to get him going. How soon we forget he was the best player on the floor last year. He will still be a Hawk next year and that's a good thing.
Nobody forgot that because it isn’t true at all. Pemsl was a nice spark off the bench. He had 8 points, 3 turnovers, and 6 rebounds. Cook had 26 points/11 rebounds and Moss had 20 on 66.7% from the field, and Baer had 14 on 80+% shooting. No way was Pemsl the best player on the floor, he was likely the fourth best Iowa player in that game.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2018-12-06-20-iowa.html

Nobody forgot that because it isn’t true at all. Pemsl was a nice spark off the bench. He had 8 points, 3 turnovers, and 6 rebounds. Cook had 26 points/11 rebounds and Moss had 20 on 66.7% from the field, and Baer had 14 on 80+% shooting. No way was Pemsl the best player on the floor, he was likely the fourth best Iowa player in that game.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2018-12-06-20-iowa.html
When Pem was in that game , he did have a huge impact , his energy was undeniable , probably overall somewhere in the middle of what you two posted

I know it's hard for a competitor to shut it down, but it really is the best decision.

Next year, the entire team returns, with the exception of Kriener (and possibly Pemsl, depending on if he transfers elsewhere for his last year). Garza isn't going anywhere. He's a great college center, but there isn't really a market for him in the NBA right now. Europe? Absolutely. But that can wait another year. Joe W isn't going anywhere either.

So that makes next year one helluva team to come back to for JBo's swan song.

And I'm not one to denigrate former players, but this team plays with a toughness and an attitude that was sorely missing from last year's team. There's just a real grit to them. Hopefully that'll carry over into next year as well.
I agree it could be a special year next year, this year is all about developing the young players. We know what we have in Garza and Wieze, the rest we get to see, it's time to relax and enjoy the ride.

I think it depends on the doc. Severe joint injuries rarely get 100 percent back or close. You do adjust.

Improvement is measured in years not year.

I think he ll play thru till he cant.

I think it depends on the doc. Severe joint injuries rarely get 100 percent back or close. You do adjust.

Improvement is measured in years not year.

I think he ll play thru till he cant.
He looks limited, tougher to get his shot off, shots falling short...I say 90% he shuts it down.

Latest posts