Bohannon on Upcoming Decision

IMHO, he should sit and wait to see if the team gets more complete next year. Heal up more and get another year being a Hawkeye.

Its his decision but seems like a no-brainer to me. Do you really want to end your college career at only 50% health? Also you gotta assume most pro scouts will want to see what he can do while fully healthy. Just sucks that the team has already gone through a lot of health issues and without him the young guys will have to step up in a big way.

The main concern is minutes. Jbo is averaging 25 minutes right now. JW averages 30, Connor 27, CJF 25, Toussaint 14, Evelyn 13. So JW and Connor are nearly maxed out on minutes already. The obvious answer is Toussaint plays a lot more, but he can't absorb all those minutes, and has Evelyn done much yet to earn more playing time? Fran might not have a choice. It would be nice to have Patrick absorb ~10 minutes a game, but it remains to be seen what we're gonna get out of him the rest of the year.

Whether he plays or stays the team he doesn’t play for will miss him a lot.

What was his injury anyway?

Its his decision but seems like a no-brainer to me. Do you really want to end your college career at only 50% health? Also you gotta assume most pro scouts will want to see what he can do while fully healthy. Just sucks that the team has already gone through a lot of health issues and without him the young guys will have to step up in a big way.

The main concern is minutes. Jbo is averaging 25 minutes right now. JW averages 30, Connor 27, CJF 25, Toussaint 14, Evelyn 13. So JW and Connor are nearly maxed out on minutes already. The obvious answer is Toussaint plays a lot more, but he can't absorb all those minutes, and has Evelyn done much yet to earn more playing time? Fran might not have a choice. It would be nice to have Patrick absorb ~10 minutes a game, but it remains to be seen what we're gonna get out of him the rest of the year.
I said in another thread that it has to be Evelyn.

He was brought in more or less as Bohannon insurance anyway. Time to get what you can out of that policy. Remember how much Wade Lookingbill stepped up after we lost Chris Street? Those are the types of things seniors do.

If I were Jbo I'd shut it down. He's clearly not 100%, take the time to get healthy and come back and see what happens.

Who knew that depth would be an issue going into this year? But everyone wants to play as many minutes as they can so playing time for this roster shouldn't be an issue.

Next year we might really have to have a 15 man rotation.

He can't grow out his beard by Thursday. Jordan knows this - should be rounding into shape by the Northwestern game.

Nice to see Conner hit that step back 3. He will probably need to be more of a scorer after Thursday.

Good news is that he has hit more 3(s) than he did last year. Bad news is that he only made 6 last season.:)

Nice to see Conner hit that step back 3. He will probably need to be more of a scorer after Thursday.

Good news is that he has hit more 3(s) than he did last year. Bad news is that he only made 6 last season.:)

The really good news is that even with Bohannon finishing 0-2, the team still shot 47.6% from deep. Given, Bohannon did help the floor with spacing and excellent passing, but the other guys still have to make the shots and that's rather encouraging for both this season and beyond.

He's playing through a lot of pain right now. Both hips are hurting.
He's not moving well out there. It's tough to watch. Kinda surprised he hasn't shut it down already. Dude is tough though. But I'd love to see him back at 100% Which was why he had the surgery done to start with. He was way better last yr pre surgery. Only he knows how much the pain compares and to what extent it's hampering him. I just hope he gets to play again at 100%

He's not moving well out there. It's tough to watch. Kinda surprised he hasn't shut it down already. Dude is tough though. But I'd love to see him back at 100% Which was why he had the surgery done to start with. He was way better last yr pre surgery. Only he knows how much the pain compares and to what extent it's hampering him. I just hope he gets to play again at 100%
I really hope we can get him some open looks on Thursday. As I mentioned elsewhere I kind of hope we let some other guys bring the ball up the floor. The nice thing about having Cmac, Joe T, and even Fredrick is they should be able to take some of the ball handling burden off Jbo. We did that in Vegas but in the last two big ten games we haven’t done much of that at all.

JBo’s strength is still his outside shooting, but when he has to be the primary ball handler in his current state he just hasn’t gotten many good looks from deep. I really hope they make this adjustment Thursday and Jbo has a good game in what is likely his last game of the year.

I know it's hard for a competitor to shut it down, but it really is the best decision.

Next year, the entire team returns, with the exception of Kriener (and possibly Pemsl, depending on if he transfers elsewhere for his last year). Garza isn't going anywhere. He's a great college center, but there isn't really a market for him in the NBA right now. Europe? Absolutely. But that can wait another year. Joe W isn't going anywhere either.

So that makes next year one helluva team to come back to for JBo's swan song.

And I'm not one to denigrate former players, but this team plays with a toughness and an attitude that was sorely missing from last year's team. There's just a real grit to them. Hopefully that'll carry over into next year as well.

I really hope we can get him some open looks on Thursday. As I mentioned elsewhere I kind of hope we let some other guys bring the ball up the floor. The nice thing about having Cmac, Joe T, and even Fredrick is they should be able to take some of the ball handling burden off Jbo. We did that in Vegas but in the last two big ten games we haven’t done much of that at all.

JBo’s strength is still his outside shooting, but when he has to be the primary ball handler in his current state he just hasn’t gotten many good looks from deep. I really hope they make this adjustment Thursday and Jbo has a good game in what is likely his last game of the year.
I agree totally. But the thing is he can't run hard off screens like normal either. He is pretty much only able to spot up and have others either drive and kick it (which we do little of) or Garza kicking it back out to him which does happen some. He got one of those I know he missed last night anyway. JBo is only able to play a fraction of his normal game and it's tough to watch.

I know it's hard for a competitor to shut it down, but it really is the best decision.

Next year, the entire team returns, with the exception of Kriener (and possibly Pemsl, depending on if he transfers elsewhere for his last year). Garza isn't going anywhere. He's a great college center, but there isn't really a market for him in the NBA right now. Europe? Absolutely. But that can wait another year. Joe W isn't going anywhere either.

So that makes next year one helluva team to come back to for JBo's swan song.

And I'm not one to denigrate former players, but this team plays with a toughness and an attitude that was sorely missing from last year's team. There's just a real grit to them. Hopefully that'll carry over into next year as well.

Garza could find a spot in the NBA...he has a skill set that fits: Stretch 5 that can hit 3s but still muscle inside. Think a Frank Kaminsky type...he's been in the league for 5 years as a bench player and made over $16M. Not saying Garza is at that level but by his senior year he certainly could be.

Garza also seems to have a crazy work ethic if all the stories are to be believed. He has really bulked up, has a motor that won't quit, shooting over 40% from 3 and hitting mid ranged shots as well.

Assuming no Jbo and no Pmac I think you could disperse the minutes something like this.

Wieskamp - 31
CJF - 31
Garza - 30
Cmac - 30
Toussaint - 28
Kriener - 20
Evelyn - 18
Pemsl - 12

The biggest jumpers would be Toussaint +14 minutes and Kriener +6 minutes. To be quite honest I would give Pemsl’s minutes to Till and here is why. Garza and Kriener are eating up all the 5 minutes, and Kriener would even be playing some at the 4, which is less than ideal. Till is much better suited to defend 4 men. Till is very limited on offense, but right now Pemsl isn’t bringing anything to the offensive end. He’s shooting 21% from the floor. You feel for the kid because he was pretty solid as a freshman, but right now he just doesn’t have it, his limitations far outweigh his strengths on this roster.

Garza could find a spot in the NBA...he has a skill set that fits: Stretch 5 that can hit 3s but still muscle inside. Think a Frank Kaminsky type...he's been in the league for 5 years as a bench player and made over $16M. Not saying Garza is at that level but by his senior year he certainly could be.

Garza also seems to have a crazy work ethic if all the stories are to be believed. He has really bulked up, has a motor that won't quit, shooting over 40% from 3 and hitting mid ranged shots as well.
Garza just doesn’t have the footspeed of a guy like Kaminsky, and despite his work ethic that won’t likely change much. He is exposed in the pick and roll game often, luckily our rotations were better last night, but in the NBA game the court is even more spread and they have a defensive three seconds rule. He outplayed Oturu last night, but Oturu I’m sure is still a better prospect in the eyes of the NBA. Sometimes that happens, but all I know is I love that Garza is on our team.

Stretch 5's in the NBA need to be more athletic than Garza. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and wouldn't trade him for anyone right now. But his future is in Europe.

Latest posts