Bob Knight...

DFaceHawkeye

Was the comment on Sportscenter about Iowa? He was asked if he would return to coaching and he said that he's looked at certain situations and said, I could go in there and turn that around in a hurry. :eek:

Absolutely not.

Weren't we all just a little tired of Alford's arrogance? Where do you think he learned that?

LOL, hiring Bobby Knight would definately put the Iowa program back on the map.

But this is not your long term answer.

LOL, hiring Bobby Knight would definately put the Iowa program back on the map.

But this is not your long term answer.

Maybe we need a short term answer before we can get a long term one.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bob come in and start the turn around of the program and if he decides he wants to retire after a couple years and the program was in better shape, at least the job would be more attractive to coaching prospects.

I'm afraid this coaching job isn't near as attractive outside this state. The national media is just throwing up mid-major coaching names and I would rather have a nationally recongized name like Knight.

I think I might change my mind about this.

With LOST entering the last season of weekly turns/twists/loving/killing, . . . I'd love to see how the Iowa media relationship with Knight would work week-to-week!

When he was at IU he hated everything about UI -- the coaches, the players, the fans, the facility, the university, the city, the flight here. I'm sure he wasn't thrilled by the way his star player was treated here, either.

No, this is not happening.

When he was at IU he hated everything about UI -- the coaches, the players, the fans, the facility, the university, the city, the flight here. I'm sure he wasn't thrilled by the way his star player was treated here, either.

Thats interesting if true.

I agree! Knight would be a terrible choice. He is old and cannot recruit the talent we need to compete with the big boys in the big ten. Bob Knight is a crusty old has been and a spoiled jerk as well. Many, Many better options.

That's not my recollection at all.

Nor mine. I could be off but I've heard him say complementary things about Iowa and I believe he is a friend of Mr. Davis. I know that he did not like Iowa City in the winter but John Feinstein's book seemed to suggest he had respect for Iowa and TD. Just my recollection but, hey, what do I know... :)

Even if Bob did come here for a couple of seasons, I'm not sure we'd survive the meltdown when it's announced that Pat would take over for him just in time to drive the Titanic right into the iceberg...

This is not happening...but I don't think Bob Knight hated Iowa. There are many tales floating around the state of Bob Knight coming to this area to hunt. Bob Knight has on many occasions chosen to come to this area for recreation.

I would love to see Bob Knight roaming the sidelines in a black sweater with a gold golf shirt underneath. I wouldn't miss a single coach's call in show. Love him or hate him, the guy is very entertaining.

Our biggest problems are attendance and excitement for the basketball program. Knight would solve both of those issues immediately. Surely, he is not a long-term solution, but he would put Iowa basketball back in the national spotlight, for good or bad. But we wouldn't be irrelevant like we are now.

In all likelyhood Iowa is not going to get a successful coach from a major program. With Knight you are going to get a huge boost in attendance immediately, something that won't happen with an up-and-coming coach that no one has heard of.

If we don't get a big name guy, the fans won't show-up for games until we start winning. The pressure on an unproven coach will be tremendous. Another early loss to UT San Antonio, Drake or Duquense could doom an unheralded coach, and we would be back in the same situation as we were with Lickliter. No fans. No exposure. Little hope for the future. The Iowa basketball program cannot afford another two or three year building process.

If Bob Knight could truly turn Iowa around in a hurry, he would be an almost perfect fit. Bob Knight is probably the only big name that would be willing to come to Iowa right now. Most importantly, I think fans would be more patient with someone like Knight, and if he is not immediately successful, he can fend off criticism much more easily than someone without three national titles.

However, if Knight fails to win, leaves on bad terms, and bad mouths the university, it could absolutely destroy the program. But I have faith that he wouldn't come, unless he knows he could turn things around. Barta should at least give him a call.

not to mention his best friend coaches 3 hours to the south, he could spend his entire summers going to cardinals games

Latest posts