Bluder is pissed!

This team definitely exceeds its athleticism. I have always knocked coach bluder on her ability to go out and get those big physical forwards (see OSU, SC, LSU, UCONN). This team over achieves and is greatly undersized. Lisa last year was the master of junk defenses. As a matter of fact she's done at her whole coaching career. When's the last time you saw junk defense this season. Late in the game up 14 against Nebraska they should not have let Shriver touch the ball. Gabby has totally disappeared from this team. I personally think she should be giving the McCabe girl minutes. She is a three-point shooting machine that would thrive with the open looks that she will get playing with Caitlin. I also question Lisa's offensive strategy in the 4th quarter when they went to the box and one. They just put Caitlin off to a wing and kind of just tried to play without her, like junior high teams attack a box and one. Lisa has a beautiful five out offense that is designed for any junk defense use it. This team could win out, they could also lose at least two and have an win or two in the tournament. For them to advance deep in the NCAA tournament will depend on their draw. If they match up with a physical group they could get beat in the second round. If they happen to get finesse teams they could slide all the way to the final four. One more coaching sidebar late in that game when they were up 12 there should have been an offense defense substitution pattern to get Hannah out of there on offense.
Team Free throw % for the season per Bigten.org:
Martin 90%; Clark 85%; Davis 85%; McCabe 83% Affolter 80%; Feuerbach 80% Goodman 74%; Edinger 70% Marshall 67%; Stuekle 58%; O'Grady 56%

She's got nobody to blame but herself... they lost that game in the first 4 mins of 4th q more so then the last few possessions. They had some key Neb players in foul trouble and stopped going to the hoop. The shot selection was really bad. Too many TOs and missed opportunities overall. Marshall I think missed a couple 3s where if she'd have it either one in the 4th q that'd have been huge. But what's worse then that is she started to pass them up after that. Either she's a confident shooter or she's not but she can't be out there at if she's not. Passing up open looks to me is a huge no no. Besides with Affolter Iowa is a pretty decent offensive rebounding team.

I hope Davis can get healthy soon not having her the last couple games has been noticeable although I do like Affolter having more mins. I just think maybe some of those should come at Marshalls expense if she continues to pass up shots. I'm not as down on her for missing shots. We all get that Clark goes spells where she misses a lot. But I'll say it a 3rd time anyone out there who's open turning down good looks from winBL

They have always set a screen around the key for Cailiin

All she needs is a step

Not Once in the fourth quarter

4 Blind Mice on the floor

And on the bench coaching

Big Deal, anyway, One Loss, only the third this season

The Hawks are the most fun team to watch ever, as far as I am concerned

And one of the top 4 women's college basketball teams in America

I'm amazed at how level-headed, focused and cohesive this team has been. Every game is a circus. The media requests must be unreal, the expectations hard to imagine.

Yet they are 22-3 and still seem to be having fun and enjoying each other for the most part.

For Hawkeye fans, this team is a gift.

Haven't been many like this in my lifetime. '85-86 football team and '86-87 men's basketball were at the top of the list - and this team is in there now somewhere, too.
I'll add the 79-80 final four men's BB team as well.

Who gets the 1 and 2 seeds in BTT if both Iowa and Ohio St are Co Champs?
OSU gets the tiebreaker if Nebraaka finishes ahead of Michigan in the standings, which almost certainly will happen. What sucks is the tiebreaker is winning percentage against the top conference teams. We would be 2-0 against Indiana and they would only be 1-0. But that's the same winning percentage even tho our record against Indiana would be obviously better.

There is such a drop off after the top 3 teams that being the 1 seed is a huge advantage.

I'll add the 79-80 final four men's BB team as well.

And perhaps Tom Davis's first year

With Marble, Horton, and Armstrong

And The Vanilla Gorilla, Al Lorenzen

Let's not forget Kevin Gamble and Brad Lohaus

That was my favorite Hawk basketball to watch

This team definitely exceeds its athleticism. I have always knocked coach bluder on her ability to go out and get those big physical forwards (see OSU, SC, LSU, UCONN). This team over achieves and is greatly undersized. Lisa last year was the master of junk defenses. As a matter of fact she's done at her whole coaching career. When's the last time you saw junk defense this season. Late in the game up 14 against Nebraska they should not have let Shriver touch the ball. Gabby has totally disappeared from this team. I personally think she should be giving the McCabe girl minutes. She is a three-point shooting machine that would thrive with the open looks that she will get playing with Caitlin. I also question Lisa's offensive strategy in the 4th quarter when they went to the box and one. They just put Caitlin off to a wing and kind of just tried to play without her, like junior high teams attack a box and one. Lisa has a beautiful five out offense that is designed for any junk defense use it. This team could win out, they could also lose at least two and have an win or two in the tournament. For them to advance deep in the NCAA tournament will depend on their draw. If they match up with a physical group they could get beat in the second round. If they happen to get finesse teams they could slide all the way to the final four. One more coaching sidebar late in that game when they were up 12 there should have been an offense defense substitution pattern to get Hannah out of there on offense.
Agree that it would have been good to get McCabe worked into the rotation with more minutes during the season during blowout games. I hope she doesn't enter the portal -- she would start for a lot of BTen teams.

Latest posts