Bleak Future?

From the way the DLine has played I dont think that is necessarily going to be a bad thing. Got some good sized D Line commits on the next recruiting class and a couple freshman who havnt seen the field yet. Way to early to be all doom and gloom. Penn St is allowed to beat us once every 4 years or so Its ok we will get over it.

That is a good point. If we continue down the road were on i think itll be best to get our young dlineman a lot of PT. I think Cooper/Davis could be good together

I understand why people want to see Cooper?Davis but really, Davis doesn't look good when he's in there. Has Cooper played? I haven't noticed but he's a true frosh so he likely would be of minimal help this year. We lost far too many players to attrition and had a couple of poor classes as well.

Man, people can really be doom and gloom around here. How do you guys know that Hardy, Trinca Pasat, Davis, Cooper, and Alvis won't be very good next year? If you look at our 09 and 08 recruiting, we were trying to recruit a bunch of DL that were going to come in and sit behind Clayborn, Klug, and Ballard for 2 to 3 years, and I think it showed in that we only recruited Gaglione, Griggs, Reiff, and Semmes in 08, while we got Alvis and Covert in 09. That's why you don't see any Jr's behind the current group of Seniors. I think next year we are going to see the group I listed above come in and be just fine.

As far as the OL is concerned, I have no concern. Donnal, Walsh, and Blythe were all big time recruits that are going to be the next installment of great OL's, and have time to grow for another year with hopefully Reiff, Sherff, Macmillan, Ferentz, Tobin, and Van Sloten.

All our LB's next year (Morris, Kirksey, Hitchens) will be Juniors with Alston (Sophomore)backing them up. Lowery was going to be a starting CB as a soph this year, with a soph Safety Miller.

Our skill guys in Coker, Mccall, Canzeri, Martin-Manly, CJ, Hamilton, Vburg, Derby, and Rudock all are back for at least 1 more year, some with several. I guess I don't see this huge panic because we DO have a lot of young guys contributing and highly thought of guys going to contribute. Also our Kicker is a sophomore and doing very well.

Our Oline looked sketchy this week in large part because of PSU's Dline. The best Dline we are going to face all year, by far. Both of their DT's are NFL caliber, and caused us problems in the 2nd half. However, people forget that Coker average over 4 yards a carry against that Defense, we just got behind. We had some bad drops by our WR's that would have been game changing catches no less. All is not lost. Tough game, but we'll be fine moving forward.

Man, people can really be doom and gloom around here. How do you guys know that Hardy, Trinca Pasat, Davis, Cooper, and Alvis won't be very good next year? If you look at our 09 and 08 recruiting, we were trying to recruit a bunch of DL that were going to come in and sit behind Clayborn, Klug, and Ballard for 2 to 3 years, and I think it showed in that we only recruited Gaglione, Griggs, Reiff, and Semmes in 08, while we got Alvis and Covert in 09. That's why you don't see any Jr's behind the current group of Seniors. I think next year we are going to see the group I listed above come in and be just fine.

As far as the OL is concerned, I have no concern. Donnal, Walsh, and Blythe were all big time recruits that are going to be the next installment of great OL's, and have time to grow for another year with hopefully Reiff, Sherff, Macmillan, Ferentz, Tobin, and Van Sloten.

All our LB's next year (Morris, Kirksey, Hitchens) will be Juniors with Alston (Sophomore)backing them up. Lowery was going to be a starting CB as a soph this year, with a soph Safety Miller.

Our skill guys in Coker, Mccall, Canzeri, Martin-Manly, CJ, Hamilton, Vburg, Derby, and Rudock all are back for at least 1 more year, some with several. I guess I don't see this huge panic because we DO have a lot of young guys contributing and highly thought of guys going to contribute. Also our Kicker is a sophomore and doing very well.

Our Oline looked sketchy this week in large part because of PSU's Dline. The best Dline we are going to face all year, by far. Both of their DT's are NFL caliber, and caused us problems in the 2nd half. However, people forget that Coker average over 4 yards a carry against that Defense, we just got behind. We had some bad drops by our WR's that would have been game changing catches no less. All is not lost. Tough game, but we'll be fine moving forward.

Thank you. Fans were posting the same doom and gloom after the 2007 season,and guess what? Shonn Greene and the Hawks won 9 games,including a win over SEC South Carolina.

And when exactly did we start to dismiss bowl wins as ''real wins''? If we beat Missouri in the non-conference it is meaningful but in a nationally televised bowl it is dismisses as no big deal?

For some fans,winning is not good enough. We have to win with ''style''. Bullcrap.

You have done a nice job of highlighting all the guys in the pipeline. Who is to say that McCall/Coker does not become a version of Shonn Greene next year. I think this offense will be better next year,and better as this season goes on. We will have senior QB with an NFL quality arm,with Keenan,K-Mart,C-Fed,Hamilton,Derby,Grant,and Hillyer to throw to.
Canzeri and Bullock will be stronger,and faster.
Reiff probably stays,which means a strong line,with good depth. McMillan was a frosh all american,Ferentz is a strong vet,and Scherff is gonna be an animal. Donnal is coming. Van Sloten is coming. Walsh and Blythe are future all conference inside guys...the oline is gonna be fine.

D-line is a concern,no doubt,but guys do emerge as the season wears on.
Nardo came out of nowhere. Lubbke came outta nowhere.
Davis will get better, Cooper will be strong after a redshirt year. Maybe Jaleel Johnson will be ready immediately. Alvis is gonna get better,with good potential. Spears might be the second coming of Leroy Smith for all we know.
And the lbs are young and coming.
Hyde,Miller,Lowery,and the frosh are athletic and coming in the secondary.

Enough with the pity party. Iowa football under KF always bounces back,and will again. It is one fricking conference loss,that we were underdogs on the road coming in...geezzzz.

After the 2007 season, no one knew if Shonn Greene was going to come back. The fact that he did and was as amazing as he was is the exception, not the rule.

Had he not come back, with the heat KF was under at the time, I don't think we would have won more than 5 or 6 games that year and KF wouldn't be our coach right now.

After the 2007 season, no one knew if Shonn Greene was going to come back. The fact that he did and was as amazing as he was is the exception, not the rule.

Had he not come back, with the heat KF was under at the time, I don't think we would have won more than 5 or 6 games that year and KF wouldn't be our coach right now.
Yeah, and if Mccall and Macmillan weren't hurt, perhaps we'd be 5-0 and your ******* wouldn't be throwing out these stupid hypothetical situations. I expect more out of you Springsteen, you're the boss dammit.

Jozzer;

I don't think people have given enough consideration to just how devastating the MacMillan injury has been. I equate it to what would have happened with a significant injury to Steinbach, Gallery, or Reiff. Basically, looks like the same thing that happened with Bulaga went down with his weird thing. You just don't replace a guy like that at the college level very easily.

Yeah, and if Mccall and Macmillan weren't hurt, perhaps we'd be 5-0 and your ******* wouldn't be throwing out these stupid hypothetical situations. I expect more out of you Springsteen, you're the boss dammit.

Exactly. And no one was predicting that Ricky Stanzi would beat out Jake Christensen and emerge as one of the winningest qbs in Iowa history either.

This is college football,new players emerge all the time out of nowhere. They are 18-19 yr old kids in a developmental sport. Their bodies and minds change a lot over a year or two.

We did ok Saturday considering that PSU is very tough at home with a very good defense against the youngest team in the league. Not to mention they had quite a few extremely fortunate bounces go their way that otherwise would have been drive killing incompletions for them. As bad as we played we were in that game to the end. If we had lost 42-7 I would be worried, PSU gonna win some games this year because of that defense, not to mention the fact that McGloin will be seeing more game time (I would imagine). Very few teams in the conference are gonna be able to move the ball on them at all.

Jozzer;

I don't think people have given enough consideration to just how devastating the MacMillan injury has been. I equate it to what would have happened with a significant injury to Steinbach, Gallery, or Reiff. Basically, looks like the same thing that happened with Bulaga went down with his weird thing. You just don't replace a guy like that at the college level very easily.
I agree, it has been huge, it disrupted the whole line as much as people want to believe that our OL is a machine with replaceable parts. He was a freshman All American. Also, losing Lowery right before the season started was killer too. Our coaches were so confident in him, that they moved Hyde to Safety all off season. When he got hurt, I think our coaches were hoping that we could get by with keeping Hyde at safety and putting Castillo at CB for the time being and get through our fairly easy early season. We saw what happened against ISU, it was our achilles heel. Losing Jordan that game was killer too. They realized after that game, that they had to put Hyde back at CB and move Bernstine to Safety, at least, until Lowery returns.

I think there is a difference between injuries which happen and really showcase the stunning lack of depth on our team, and a player coming out of nowhere to be a Heisman candidate.

A great example of this is at Wisconsin this year. Without Wilson, they are probably an 8-4 /9-3 team... now they look like they are on a collision course for the national championship.

Since the 2094 season, we have been an average team.

7-5
6-6
6-6
8-4
10-2
7-5

How far in the rear view mirror does the 3 year run have to be to pay more attention to the last 6 - now 7 years?

We need to remember that the 10-2 season had several close wins where we just happened to be in the right place...etc. That season could of just as easy been 7-5. I don't think we were near as good as we built our selves up to be that year.

It was a turnover year for us. We lost Ballard, Klug, Clayborn, Hunter, Sash, and Greenwood from our defense to begin with, then had injuries to Lowery and Bernstine against ISU. That would squash any defense man.

Couple that with losing Stanzi, DJK, Reisner, Vandevelde, Morse, Coker's offseason injury, losing our 2nd string change of pace RB, and then Macmillan, and you shouldn't really be this shocked about our lack of depth at this point. We had a huge senior class, with a ton of talent and are building a bit this year, but we've got some good young players that have lost two road games to two good teams.

Your Shonn Greene example is poor. Teams have new players come in every year, some perform better than expected, some worse. Coaching is trying to do what you can with the talent you have. Greene performed better.

What would Auburn have been without Newton last year? Would ISU have won a game without Jantz this year? Wisconsin and Russell? There are many examples out there, unfortunately, we don't have one this year. We will again though.

Also, we lost all 5 of our games by 18 total points last year, it was close to another very good season. Also, we went 9-4, 10-2, then 8-5 the last 3 years. If it wasn't for that absolute blowup to Minny last year, we would have won at least 9 games the last 3 years. Stop being such a downer.

Last edited:
We did ok Saturday considering that PSU is very tough at home with a very good defense against the youngest team in the league. Not to mention they had quite a few extremely fortunate bounces go their way that otherwise would have been drive killing incompletions for them. As bad as we played we were in that game to the end. If we had lost 42-7 I would be worried, PSU gonna win some games this year because of that defense, not to mention the fact that McGloin will be seeing more game time (I would imagine). Very few teams in the conference are gonna be able to move the ball on them at all.

Sorry, but as the season grinds on we'll figure out that Penn State sucks. We made them look good.

Sorry, but as the season grinds on we'll figure out that Penn State sucks. We made them look good.

That is why they play the games,right?
I think you are wrong,but I cannot prove it,and you cannot prove your guess either.
I project PSU to go to Madison on the last weekend of the season with a chance to win the Leaders...we will see.

That is why they play the games,right?
I think you are wrong,but I cannot prove it,and you cannot prove your guess either.
I project PSU to go to Madison on the last weekend of the season with a chance to win the Leaders...we will see.

Funny, my knee jerk reaction was NO WAY, then I remembered how bad that division was and I thought, "wait," then I looked at their schedule and once again think "No way." That division comes down to Illinois and Wisky.

We need to remember that the 10-2 season had several close wins where we just happened to be in the right place...etc. That season could of just as easy been 7-5. I don't think we were near as good as we built our selves up to be that year.

So close wins don't count. Bowl wins don't count. Wins that happened too far in the past don't count.

Yeah I was thinking were the youngest team in league coming into season. But none of the underclassman are playing the hole D-fence back field D-line-Most of oline-Best offensive player Mccnutt, and davis is a junior to.

So close wins don't count. Bowl wins don't count. Wins that happened too far in the past don't count.

Well, that last one kind of should be true. We keep hanging on to 2002-2004 for much longer, and we're gonna become like Nebraska/Notre Dame fans.

Latest posts