Billy Taylor Named Iowa Assistant

Might be a great hire, but long term, if Fran can't find a top level PG after 10-12 years and if his teams continue to play little defense, the fuse is burning for change.

You could probably find weaknesses on all but the top 10-15 coaches in the country.

You could probably find weaknesses on all but the top 10-15 coaches in the country.

Maybe, but "doesn't know how to recruit point guards who aren't half his DNA" and "can't coach defense" are huge freaking weaknesses.

"he's just gonna promote within, this sucks, typical Fran. Can't even be bothered to go out and get something that might add value to his staff. He seriously is complacent and not even trying"

Fran hires a coach with 10 years HC experience and recruiting ties in the area as well as Chicago - former staff member with ties to the program

"what did he just make one phone call? This is the best he could find?"

ya see how Fran just can't win with Iowa fans.

"Fran can't coach defense or get a PG"

Fran gets his team to play better defense in 18-19, gets them back in the dance - wins a game as an underdog, recruits a borderline 4 star PG from Brooklyn, yet the echo chamber remains.

Ya might as well just cheer for another team because Fran is Iowa's coach and he's going to be for the foreseeable future. He's not had good enough results for me either but damn - there is no way this many people are so dissatisfied with something that they have no control over. If you are, you probably live a fairly dissatisfying life. Live a little.

"he's just gonna promote within, this sucks, typical Fran. Can't even be bothered to go out and get something that might add value to his staff. He seriously is complacent and not even trying"

Fran hires a coach with 10 years HC experience and recruiting ties in the area as well as Chicago - former staff member with ties to the program

"what did he just make one phone call? This is the best he could find?"

ya see how Fran just can't win with Iowa fans.

"Fran can't coach defense or get a PG"

Fran gets his team to play better defense in 18-19, gets them back in the dance - wins a game as an underdog, recruits a borderline 4 star PG from Brooklyn, yet the echo chamber remains.

Ya might as well just cheer for another team because Fran is Iowa's coach and he's going to be for the foreseeable future. He's not had good enough results for me either but damn - there is no way this many people are so dissatisfied with something that they have no control over. If you are, you probably live a fairly dissatisfying life. Live a little.
Amen, I am not a Fran fan, but I had to eat some crow this year (and was happy to do so) when he did things that improved the team. I was actually looking forward to this season, but losing Moss, Cook, and JoBo is going to hurt. I want better results, and I'm hopeful that we take some lumps next year and learn and get better, and then 2020/2021 is the year that we can at least make a Sweet 16 run. I think we are all going to have to be patient this year given what we lost. This board will probably be unbearable at times, because we all get frustrated when things aren't going well. I just don't get all of the off season hatred.

Amen, I am not a Fran fan, but I had to eat some crow this year (and was happy to do so) when he did things that improved the team. I was actually looking forward to this season, but losing Moss, Cook, and JoBo is going to hurt. I want better results, and I'm hopeful that we take some lumps next year and learn and get better, and then 2020/2021 is the year that we can at least make a Sweet 16 run. I think we are all going to have to be patient this year given what we lost. This board will probably be unbearable at times, because we all get frustrated when things aren't going well. I just don't get all of the off season hatred.
Iowa could be a better team this year, let's wait and see. There are some unknown players who we haven't seen, plus Wieskamp can be the leader, and an actual PG? Wow!

Iowa could be a better team this year, let's wait and see. There are some unknown players who we haven't seen, plus Wieskamp can be the leader, and an actual PG? Wow!
Just try to have reasonable expectations but I agree, there is potential. Also could be interesting to see what the new assistant brings to the table.

Just try to have reasonable expectations but I agree, there is potential. Also could be interesting to see what the new assistant brings to the table.
It is possible with Cook/Moss/JB out of the picture there will be a healthy vacuum of leadership where players like PG-JT, Garza, Wieskamp, Kriener, Pemsl, can become leaders more freely. Perhaps with a new attitude, defense will become a trademark rather than an annoyance. Sometimes loss brings a breath of fresh air and new beginnings.

It is possible with Cook/Moss/JB out of the picture there will be a healthy vacuum of leadership where players like PG-JT, Garza, Wieskamp, Kriener, Pemsl, can become leaders more freely. Perhaps with a new attitude, defense will become a trademark rather than an annoyance. Sometimes loss brings a breath of fresh air and new beginnings.

It's very possible. It's also bad when your best player isn't efficient. Wieskamp and Garza are both efficient scorers.

I wish the new coach the very best and hope his skill set will help the over all success of the team.

you can include losing baer in the "leadership" category. you made me think about something, though, and that is leadership on defense. i think jbo and baer had it and it translated to their own heart, if not athletically. Moss and Cook i don't think it translated to their heart, completely. i see garza's non stop motor on defense as perhaps the visual the rest of the team might need. if pemsl wants to be a leader and have an impact on the floor, it is going to have to be on the defensive end, first. he needs to get ready for that.

you can include losing baer in the "leadership" category. you made me think about something, though, and that is leadership on defense. i think jbo and baer had it and it translated to their own heart, if not athletically. Moss and Cook i don't think it translated to their heart, completely. i see garza's non stop motor on defense as perhaps the visual the rest of the team might need. if pemsl wants to be a leader and have an impact on the floor, it is going to have to be on the defensive end, first. he needs to get ready for that.
Agree on Baer, loved him, big loss. Great motor, but never seemed to have the stamina for some reason. I would have played him a lot if I were the coach, more. Intangibles. True Grit. I just think that Moss, Cook, perhaps JB were below average leaders, and their presence of "experience" and "athleticism" might have played a role in keeping some of the more natural, motivated leaders to come to the fore: Garza, Wieskamp, etc. That they are gone, might be an opportunity rather than a loss. Moss and Cook weren't "make the other guys" better type players. They needed the ball to contribute and with that type of players on the team, you are working to get over 50/50. JB could shoot, but does he make others around him better? Making others better, playing tough defense, fundamental, selfless basketball are what makes a player great and team play better than its parts, which Iowa teams seem to seldom do, in BB and FB.

Moss and Cook weren't that interested in defense it seemed to me, they were thinking of the NBA careers that awaits them, need to run and gun, jump, put on a show. They were both very much below average defensively.

Garza seems to want to play defense and get better, which is good. I like a healthy Pemsl because he has a snark about him that the opponents don't like.

Latest posts