Bilas mentions Iowa as possible title contender

You may want to re-read my post because I didn't make that claim.

You put in your post:

“Fred pieced together a team with 3 newcomers in our starting line up, we didn't play particularly well, and we still won.”

“The tourney is all about match ups so you're mistaken if you think Iowa has any better chance at making a deep run."

The NCAA tourney is played on a neutral court, so again, how does that mean ISU would be better on a neutral court?

If ISU's win over Iowa at home wasn't your point as to why ISU would have a better chance at making a deep run, please explain how ISU would match up better than Iowa to make you think ISU would be better suited for deeper run on a neutral court than Iowa in the tournament.

So Hilton Magic is real then? I'm confused on this forum sometimes. Posters go so far to belittle ISU that they don't even realize they are taking the **** out of the Hawks.

How am I taking anything away from ISU? Im trying to prove to a Clone fan that ISU played a good game Friday. He was the one that said ISU didnt play that well.

They put up numbers very close to their season averages while playing their toughest opponent yet this year.

How am I taking anything away from ISU? Im trying to prove to a Clone fan that ISU played a good game Friday. He was the one that said ISU didnt play that well.

They put up numbers very close to their season averages while playing their toughest opponent yet this year.

You're not taking anything away from ISU, you're taking things away from Iowa. I don't get the bolded I've seen it thrown out alot since the game. If they were very close to their averages then wouldn't that mean ISU was...well...average?

You're not taking anything away from ISU, you're taking things away from Iowa. I don't get the bolded I've seen it thrown out alot since the game. If they were very close to their averages then wouldn't that mean ISU was...well...average?

Except for the fact that those averages were established against some pretty poor competition overall. The fact that they came as close to those averages as they did against a team like Iowa means the Clones played pretty well.

And how am I taking away anything from Iowa?

How did Iowa State not play well last Friday? And dont say free throw shooting because they shot right around their average.

ISU averages 91 PPG and scored 85 on Friday.

ISU shoots 49.1% for the year and shot 46.4% Friday night.

ISU averages 19 assists per game and had exactly 19 on Friday.

Where they got killed is on the boards.

ISU played a pretty typical game on Friday and was lucky to sneak a win out at home.

And, don't forget, they were in the double bonus for almost half of the game.

Iowa has a deep, tall, experienced, veteran team...

Fred pieced together a team with 3 newcomers in our starting line up, we didn't play particularly well, and we still won.

The tourney is all about match ups so you're mistaken if you think Iowa has any better chance at making a deep run.

ISU is a very difficult team to match up with. Iowa is a difficult team to match up with. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see one or both in the Elite 8.

I look around college basketball and tend to agree with his overall point, that it's wide open this year.

First, CyHawk7, please go back to CF. You bring no value or insight like some other ISU fans do on this site. More importantly, you have no clue.

On to your post... I wouldn't say you guys played poorly, you just didn't play as well as Iowa for 38 minutes. Then you played much better in a certain 2 minute span. I have thought you guys have looked impressive all year in big games and think you are a dangerous team. I'm not taking that away.

Actually, I, along with many others do think Iowa has a better chance of making a deep run in the tourney. Those others include Teamrankings.com, Ken Pomeroy, Jay Bilas, and most importantly Vegas. There is a reason that all these people think, Iowa has a better shot of going further in the tournament. I was simply listing those possible reasons (facts), of why they have the "potential" to go further. I'm not saying they will, because you are right, a lot depends on matchups. I wasn't saying anything negative about ISU, I was just stating my thoughts on why they would pick a 2 loss team like Iowa, over a 10-24 ranked team.

FWIW, I agree with the rest of your post.

So Hilton Magic is real then? I'm confused on this forum sometimes. Posters go so far to belittle ISU that they don't even realize they are taking the **** out of the Hawks.

Yeah, you got confused on this one. The post IPA replied to stated that Cy played poorly and still beat Iowa, thus IPA provided statistics indicating that Cy did not play poorly. He was doing the very opposite of tearing down the Hawks.

Yeah, you got confused on this one. The post IPA replied to stated that Cy played poorly and still beat Iowa, thus IPA provided statistics indicating that Cy did not play poorly. He was doing the very opposite of tearing down the Hawks.

That depends on if you feel like Iowa played well vs. ISU, which I think they did. So everyone is going around saying ISU played well because they got their averages, except in points, FG %, and rebounds (not very key stats, right?). So basically what I gather everyone is saying is that Iowa's well played game is not as good as ISU's average to slightly below average game, which brings down Iowa.

That depends on if you feel like Iowa played well vs. ISU, which I think they did. So everyone is going around saying ISU played well because they got their averages, except in points, FG %, and rebounds (not very key stats, right?). So basically what I gather everyone is saying is that Iowa's well played game is not as good as ISU's average to slightly below average game, which brings down Iowa.

Isu did well the get their average numbers against a team as good as Iowa. Especially on a night where Iowa played well.

Both teams played well, and the home team won. That's usually how it goes when two good teams play well. Neither team's defense looked spectacular, but that's going to happen when two great offenses face off.

Iowa has a deep, tall, experienced, veteran team...

Fred pieced together a team with 3 newcomers in our starting line up, we didn't play particularly well, and we still won.

The tourney is all about match ups so you're mistaken if you think Iowa has any better chance at making a deep run.

ISU is a very difficult team to match up with. Iowa is a difficult team to match up with. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see one or both in the Elite 8.

I look around college basketball and tend to agree with his overall point, that it's wide open this year.

Yes you didnt play well and still won.

For the majority of the game you did not play well largely because of iowa, and then to win the game it largely came down to Iowa doing a ridiculouse amount of things wrong at the end in a very short amount of time.

Isu did capitalize though.

I think both teams could end up making the sweet 16 this year. Both are difficult matchups because they play faster than most teams. Iowa is long and that is unique. Iowa State spreads the floor and everybody can shoot and that is unique. IMO who makes it further in the dance will depend on who they play, how they play, and luck.

This isn't the dumbest thing I have read on here but it is close. Does the Mens NCAA Tournament run through Hilton?

On a neutral court Iowa wins that game.

We'll have to agree to disagree. We simply don't know that. Iowa, IMO played pretty darn well.... ISU didn't play horribly, but didn't play particularly well, and ISU still won.

It's entirely possible that if somehow these two teams met in the NCAA tourney, that Iowa could play worse or ISU could play better and still win.

He does "mention" them in the article, but doesn't have them on the actual list. If you look up the make-up of the teams between Iowa and let's say Iowa State or someone similar. I would say Iowa is better suited to make a deep run.

Reasons being Iowa is ...
+deeper (not only fatigue, but more foul trouble doesn't hurt as much)
+longer (gives shorter teams problems, able to play a more effective zone against quicker teams)
+ability to draw fouls

sure you can find more

Iowa is a long experienced team that I think reminds guys like Bilas of Syracuse and their final four run last year. The reference to Iowa's D needing to be better I think refers to the centers needing to be more consistent so they can stay on the floor at the end of close games.

I think both teams could end up making the sweet 16 this year. Both are difficult matchups because they play faster than most teams. Iowa is long and that is unique. Iowa State spreads the floor and everybody can shoot and that is unique. IMO who makes it further in the dance will depend on who they play, how they play, and luck.

I think both Iowa and Iowa State will get 4 or 5 seeds in The Dance.

First, CyHawk7, please go back to CF. You bring no value or insight like some other ISU fans do on this site. More importantly, you have no clue.

On to your post... I wouldn't say you guys played poorly, you just didn't play as well as Iowa for 38 minutes. Then you played outstanding free throw defense in a certain 2 minute span. I have thought you guys have looked impressive all year in big games and think you are a dangerous team. I'm not taking that away.

Actually, I, along with many others do think Iowa has a better chance of making a deep run in the tourney. Those others include Teamrankings.com, Ken Pomeroy, Jay Bilas, and most importantly Vegas. There is a reason that all these people think, Iowa has a better shot of going further in the tournament. I was simply listing those possible reasons (facts), of why they have the "potential" to go further. I'm not saying they will, because you are right, a lot depends on matchups. I wasn't saying anything negative about ISU, I was just stating my thoughts on why they would pick a 2 loss team like Iowa, over a 10-24 ranked team.

FWIW, I agree with the rest of your post.

FIFY

We'll have to agree to disagree. We simply don't know that. Iowa, IMO played pretty darn well.... ISU didn't play horribly, but didn't play particularly well, and ISU still won.

It's entirely possible that if somehow these two teams met in the NCAA tourney, that Iowa could play worse or ISU could play better and still win.

Its also possible that, compared to the last game, Iowa could play worse ISU could play better and Iowa win.

The game really hinged on Iowa falling apart in the last minute. 99% of teams in the country don't blow that lead with 1;30 left.

Iowa is a tough matchup for ISU with the height on the inside. Most times Iowa isn't going to miss so many freethrows in a row at the end and in most places that are not Hilton Niang doesn't get nearly as many calls his way where where he initiated contact.

I just LOL when people think that ISU or Iowa is gonna come out and hit all their season Avg. against quality teams......ISU played well, they just faced a team that is as good as them.....this means you aren't going to dominate the stats like you will against Auburn.

I just LOL when people think that ISU or Iowa is gonna come out and hit all their season Avg. against quality teams......ISU played well, they just faced a team that is as good as them.....this means you aren't going to dominate the stats like you will against Auburn.

What are you talking about? Of course we're going to put up all those numbers against Kansas, MSU, Okie State and Ohio State. I thought that was a given?

Latest posts