Biggest Problem Big 12: Academics?

Couppee

Good stuff Jon. I am interested on your take on BYU and if their 'honor code' or whatever they call it. Does that stop them from getting into the PAC 12?

Here is my "power 64" guess:
power64.jpg

Last edited:
In this day and age, BYU's honor code will prevent them from joining any conference. There will be student groups raising hell about their honor code from whichever Power 5 conference is looking at them. Not a comment on whether BYU is right or not to have such an honor code, but just commenting on the reality of the world we live in.

I think per the state legislature Kansas and K-State have to stay in the same conference.....although money talks.

Not sure why anyone thinks academics fits into any of this. Interesting trivia.

Looking at the US News and World Report Top 25 Schools. Might not be 100% accurate. Btw, Iowa is rated #11 in the Big Ten in ranking.

Pac 10 - 3
ACC - 2
Big 10 - 1
SEC - 1

Top 30
Pac 10 - 3
ACC - 5
Big 10 - 3
SEC - 1

Top 50
Pac 10 - 3
ACC - 9
Big 10 -7
SEC - 1

Top 75
Pac 10 - 3
ACC - 9
Big 10 - 10
SEC - 4
Big 12 - 1

Top 100
Top 75
Pac 10 - 3
ACC - 12
Big 10 -13
SEC - 5
Big 12 - 3

Another telling factor is the acceptance rate. Iowa ranks dead last in the percentage of applications rejected in the Big 10. Iowa has one of the lowest turn down rate in the Nation and P 5 schools.

In the Big 12, only ISU, K State and Kansas rank lower.

I love Iowa. I have a child who graduated in a top 25 program that is at Iowa. That said, Iowa fans really don't have a lot of reason to be bragging about academics.

By comparison, Nebby, ISU, Alabama, and Iowa have an average ACT score of 28 at the 75th percentile. IL and MN both have 31. Michigan is 33. Auburn is 30. OK is 29 and OSU is 27.

Another problem with BYU is the missions thing. I have long argued I don't want them in the Big 12 because I don't want my team playing a bunch of 25 year olds, especially in a sport that is so dependent on physical maturity. IMO I think BYU is a non-starter for several different reasons. However, I doubt their honor code is significantly different than other universities, it's likely just actually enforced, which is the problem people have with it.

Interesting. Never thought that academics were the biggest problem in the Big 12. I thought defense, or lack there of, was the conferences biggest problem.
this year, it's all around football quality. The big 12 is barely better than the AAC this season. Louisville would mop the floor with any big 12 team this season.

Another telling factor is the acceptance rate. Iowa ranks dead last in the percentage of applications rejected in the Big 10. Iowa has one of the lowest turn down rate in the Nation and P 5 schools.

........[/QUOTE]

I'll resist the temptation to comment on why... (you'll have to call Sally on that one)

And still....Iowa is above every Big12 school academically. No surprise

I'll resist the temptation to comment on why... (you'll have to call Sally on that one)

And still....Iowa is above every Big12 school academically. No surprise[/QUOTE]

No, TCU, Texas, and Baylor are both ranked above Iowa in quality. Texas at the 75th ACT percentile is 33. TCU is 30. Baylor is 30. Iowa, OK, and ISU are all 28. OK State is 27. That is all I know w/o looking.

Big 10 is above Big 12, but not because of Iowa. Instead of near last in the Big 10, Iowa would be at worst average and probably above average some in the Big 12.

Still, NCAA football is about $$$ not IQ.

And still....Iowa is above every Big12 school academically. No surprise[/QUOTE]

Actually the people to call would be the state legislature as not all P5 Conference Universities require as high percentage of natives (In this case Iowan's.

And still....Iowa is above every Big12 school academically. No surprise

No, TCU, Texas, and Baylor are both ranked above Iowa in quality. Texas at the 75th ACT percentile is 33. TCU is 30. Baylor is 30. Iowa, OK, and ISU are all 28. OK State is 27. That is all I know w/o looking.

Big 10 is above Big 12, but not because of Iowa. Instead of near last in the Big 10, Iowa would be at worst average and probably above average some in the Big 12.

Still, NCAA football is about $$$ not IQ.[/QUOTE]

We were looking at different rankings. i was looking at program rankings (which I can't find now), not incoming ACT scores. Either way... bottom half of the Big Ten is as good/better than top half of the big 12. And to reiterate my side point, IOWA was ranked higher 10 years ago... Thanks Sally. She didn't do the University of Iowa any favors in her tenure.

Last edited:

Still, NCAA football is about $$$ not IQ.

We were looking at different rankings. i was looking at program rankings (which I can't find now), not incoming ACT scores. Either way... bottom half of the Big Ten is as good/better than top half of the big 12. And to reiterate my side point, IOWA was ranked higher 10 years ago... Thanks Sally. She didn't do the University of Iowa any favors in her tenure.[/QUOTE]

Iowa and ISU are required to mainly serve Iowa. Neighboring states entice out of state and international students because they pay higher tuition.

With a lower non resident population the standards are lower to fill slots. Iowas policy is a two edged sword.

A mother issue is salary. Given a limited pool of qualified candidates due to academic requirements Iowa and ISU get 2nd tier employees in some programs or have trouble in retention. That is a general statement. Iowa has some very good departments and people. Still it is a drag. K F and clown football coaches aren't the only ones on campus w ithe recruiting problems.

Why would you think it's even close to the same?

Baylor's code relates to academic ethics.

BYU's relates to personal life ethics.

Study religion much?

Yes. I would assume that a self styled baptist university would have a similar honor code to a Mormon university. I could certainly be wrong.

Yes. I would assume that a self styled baptist university would have a similar honor code to a Mormon university. I could certainly be wrong.

Strong possibility. But I'd guarantee that what happened at Baylor wouldn't happen at BYU.

Latest posts