Biggest Challenge of Hiring an Offensive Coordinator Under KF

Any OC from a smaller program that is looking to be a college HC wouldn't be afraid of Brian being on the staff because they wouldn't plan on staying here that long.

That could also be something beneficial for a guy who is looking for a position to use only as a stepping stone to a better position in the future. Some people are looking to simply get a foot in the door, make an impact, and then move on to something better. They may have a destination more appealing than Iowa City in mind and may be looking to add to a resume rather than settling down for the long haul.

If GDGD does return we can start the Official Attrition Thread. In regards to players, recruits and season ticket holders.

Brain was hired as a "Scouting assistant" for the Pats. He got promoted in the organization three times in three years before becoming TE coach. All before his 28th birthday.

He didn't get a coaching job because of his name. You think the Pats are an organization that hires and promotes coaches based on who Belichik coached with in the 90's?

Brain has talent.

This. One could MAYBE make the argument that he got the first job with a lot of help from Kirk, although I wouldn't buy that. But you don't make a rise like that because of you're father's name.

Brain was hired as a "Scouting assistant" for the Pats. He got promoted in the organization three times in three years before becoming TE coach. All before his 28th birthday.

He didn't get a coaching job because of his name. You think the Pats are an organization that hires and promotes coaches based on who Belichik coached with in the 90's?

Brain has talent.

Did not know. Gives me hope then.

I have seen nothing in his 14 years at Iowa to lead me to believe KF would hire an OC with the limited experience Brian has.
Brian is exactly where he needs to be right now. Coaching the o line puts him in an excellent position for the future. As we all know Kirk was a pretty highly regarded o line coach and putting Brian there gives him the opportunity to learn from one of the best and prepare for tomorrow.

He could be an OC or HC somewhere down the line but I just don't see Kirk putting him in there yet. In Kirk's eyes he would be setting him up for failure by moving him there before he is ready.

I have seen nothing in his 14 years at Iowa to lead me to believe KF would hire an OC with the limited experience Brian has.

KF hiring GD last spring is, IMO, a sign that he is breaking from his traditional way of doing things. Say what u will about the offense, but GD was not KOK or KF. IIRC, the reason it took so log to make the hire is because KF was doing some soul searching. Perhaps he is beginning to change his ways of thinkings.
Let that roll around for a minute. Cqts.

I'm confused. I thought KF only cared about collecting his salary and didn't do much any more. He cant be fired for several years afterall. He's doesnt care about wins and losses or recruiting just $$. Why would he care about calling the shots on offense or what plays are run-it all pays the same. That's football. (Snort)

I think it is funny we assume Brian will get the job before the existing OC is even gone. Also, do we even know Brian wants the job? Maybe he doesn't want to follow in his dad's footsteps and try to build his own legacy somewhere else. He may have aspirations to be a head coach at a lower level school before ever being the OC at Iowa. For all the flack the boards gave Greg Davis I know I wouldn't want the job.

I can't remember, but who were the other main contenders that interviewed for the job before Greg Davis got it. There might be someone on that list that may garner some interest as well.

I think it is funny we assume Brian will get the job before the existing OC is even gone. Also, do we even know Brian wants the job? Maybe he doesn't want to follow in his dad's footsteps and try to build his own legacy somewhere else.

If that was his plan, he's doing it wrong.

If anyone here is prepared to make a case that moving from position coach in a top three organization in the NFL to a position coach in the 4th best conference in College, I would love to hear it.

Brain obviously wants the Iowa job, and coming to Iowa was a backwards step as far as jobs go.

If that was his plan, he's doing it wrong.

If anyone here is prepared to make a case that moving from position coach in a top three organization in the NFL to a position coach in the 4th best conference in College, I would love to hear it.

Brain obviously wants the Iowa job, and coming to Iowa was a backwards step as far as jobs go.

There's only so far you can go in the NFL based on your last name and to continuing moving up through the coaching ranks he had to move to the college game.

Brain has talent.

All of Belichik's assistant have proven to be great successes outside of NE as well, for example

Weis as ND HC
Weis as Florida's OC
Crennel as Cleveland HC
Crennel as KC's HC
McDaniels as Denver's HC
McDaniels as St. Louis' OC
Mangini as Cleveland's HC
Mangini as the Jet's HC

Hmm on second thought maybe not...well at least Bill O'Brien had a good first year at Penn St.

There's only so far you can go in the NFL based on your last name and to continuing moving up through the coaching ranks he had to move to the college game.

Jim Mora Jr., Mike Nolan, Wade Phillips the Ryan brothers and countless others disagree.

Latest posts