BIG Tourney...

Fryowa

Administrator
Posting this in football because it's the offseason, and well, it's fun to abuse my powers once in a while.

Anyone here going to the BT tourney this week or weekend in Omaha? A buddy and I are going to cruise down Saturday and take in that day's games, and if the Hawks make it we'll grab a motel and come back Sunday.

Super reasonable tickets...$22 including fees gets you a reserved seat for the entire day and there are tons of awesome seats open since it's not as popular as the CWS.

If anyone goes down and wants to meet up, I'll be the slightly elderly-looking lady wearing Rec Specs and an Expos visor in section 113.

Fry, I went last year and it was fun. The stadium holds 25k or so and there were maybe 5-6k fans there, almost all Hawk fans. So, you can pretty much sit where you want. No reason at all to buy anything but cheap seats. Now, if Nebbie ends up as the opponent, obviously that dynamic changes.

I am out of town until tomorrow afternoon, but will swing down if the Hawks are playing Saturday.

Its a good warm-up for us Omaha folk to get ready for the CWS in a few weeks.

Who knew Omaha was the name for North Kansas City?
I have been on this board for a long time and wasn't changing handles when I changed area codes. Plus, who wants to brag about living in Nebraska?? I still have an 816 cell phone prefix and am a former Chiefs season ticket holder. But, that was a while ago.

But yes, technically, Omaha is really really North Kansas City. :)

I have been on this board for a long time and wasn't changing handles when I changed area codes. Plus, who wants to brag about living in Nebraska?? I still have an 816 cell phone prefix and am a former Chiefs season ticket holder. But, that was a while ago.

Hawkeye Walker is also an Omaha resident

Fry, I went last year and it was fun. The stadium holds 25k or so and there were maybe 5-6k fans there, almost all Hawk fans. So, you can pretty much sit where you want. No reason at all to buy anything but cheap seats. Now, if Nebbie ends up as the opponent, obviously that dynamic changes.

I am out of town until tomorrow afternoon, but will swing down if the Hawks are playing Saturday.

It’s a good warm-up for us Omaha folk to get ready for the CWS in a few weeks.
I’ve been to the BTT 3 times previously and every year for the CWS since I was in middle school except COVID and two years when my kid was little. The stadium is nice, but Rosenblatt was 50 times better.

I am also the biggest Michigan state fan in the country right now.

The last thing I want to deal with at a baseball game is listen to a bunch of mouth breathing pre hominids do there, “goooooo big re-edddddddddd” call out chant.

Agreed, and Wichitall is the west suburbs of KC.

I’ve been to the BTT 3 times previously and every year for the CWS since I was in middle school except COVID and two years when my kid was little. The stadium is nice, but Rosenblatt was 50 times better.
Rosenblatt was a landmark. Loved that stadium and the CWS. I was bummed to see it go. But I will say I am glad the city of Omaha did what they had to do to keep the CWS.

Let's hope the Hawks keep up their play. #RickysBoysDontQuit

Rosenblatt was a landmark. Loved that stadium and the CWS. I was bummed to see it go. But I will say I am glad the city of Omaha did what they had to do to keep the CWS.

Let's hope the Hawks keep up their play. #RickysBoysDontQuit
Rosenblatt had the atmosphere of Kinnick being slammed right in the middle of a residential area. Loved that place. Schwab is just a cookie cutter minor league style ballpark with overpriced tickets, overpriced shitty concessions, and no personality. Just like memorial stadium in lincoln.

I actually got to play in Rosenblatt in college. A freak scheduling thing and a connection by the other team's coach got us in. They were conference champs and we...weren't. We were getting crushed in game 2, the last game of my career. I knew it was the last at bat of my career. Screw it, I'm gonna take the 3 biggest swings of my life. First pitch I freaking crushed it. Hardest hit ball of my career. It felt amazing That thing flew and flew...

...until it reached the warning track. That's all I had. Warning track power. :(

I actually got to play in Rosenblatt in college. A freak scheduling thing and a connection by the other team's coach got us in. They were conference champs and we...weren't. We were getting crushed in game 2, the last game of my career. I knew it was the last at bat of my career. Screw it, I'm gonna take the 3 biggest swings of my life. First pitch I freaking crushed it. Hardest hit ball of my career. It felt amazing That thing flew and flew...

...until it reached the warning track. That's all I had. Warning track power. :(
We got to play in the Metrodome my senior year of high school. Back in the day we had a four year rotation with another school in our conference where players, parents, and coaches all took a trip to the cities to watch a Twins game and then go down on the field and play a game afterwards. Just so happened it was my senior year.

Coolest thing ever. It was back before all the snowflakes were running things, we went down in the dugouts and there were Red Man and Skoal pouches EVERYWHERE left over from the MLB game. They apparently just put boxes of it out in the dugout like sunflower seeds for all the big leaguers to chew. Never saw so much chew spit on the floor in my life.

The Metrodome had that short, green indoor carpet stuff that was hard as a rock, kind of like walking on the carpet in a bowling alley. Any ball, hard hit or not, was going all the way to the fence if it got by an outfielder. Hit a weak one that should have been a lazy base hit, went between the kids legs and I cruised in with a stand-up triple. Also stole second (uncontested, I'm slow as shit) during the game which was my claim to fame...I hit a triple and stole a base in the Metrodome.

Our coach back then was a former college player who got some time in the minors and he was a monster. He couldn't resist and wanted to take some cuts (it was a friendly game at 11PM so what the hell...) and everyone was cool with it. Hit a monster left handed bomb that hit the baggie in RF. We all went nuts.

Damn dude, thanks for triggering those memories. My folks were both alive back then and came along, had the time of my life!

Fry, for a guy that gives me the business for being nostalgic and pining for the old days, you sure have a grand love affair for The Blatt that doesn't mesh with modern times. It was a historic venue of sorts, but the seats were crap, parking was a nightmare, there was absolutely no pre or post game culture beyond RVs and tailgating, and the best you could say about the location is that you could visit the best zoo in the country after the game.

To be clear, I wish they did The Chuck better. The stadium is facing the wrong way. Fans should be looking at the skyline. The fences are 15 feet too deep. The foul territory is too big. And the bleachers should be bigger and more blue collar feel. That said, Omaha did what it needed to do to keep the CWS. The stadium needed to be bigger, with luxury boxes, with adequate parking and adjacent to a vibrant bar and restaurant district. They hit those marks. Almost the entirety of big time, fan driven baseball is moving towards downtown areas. Baseball needs the juice of a metropolitan area to make it enticing. The Royals will be moving downtown KC in the next 5 years to stay in step with the rest of baseball. The Chuck is what it is.

Hope to bump into you tomorrow.

On to the finals tomorrow afternoon. Dominant today.

@Fryowa, please don't ban me for saying this, but...

....go Nebraska.
I did the best of both worlds.

I was mentally rooting for nebraska but cheering my ass off for Maryland in front of all those little red mouth breathers. Maryland is really, really good. And they look even better in person—that team has its shit together big time.

Latest posts