Big Ten Tournament Seeding Updates

Updated 2-27-14
1. Michigan 12-3 (Owns Tiebreaker over MSU)

2. Michigan State 11-4
3.Wisconsin 10-5
4. OSU 9-6
5. Iowa 8-6
6. Nebraska 8-7
7. Minn 7-9
8. Indiana 5-9
9. Illinois 5-10
10. Purdue 5-10
11. jNW 5-10
12. PSU 4-10

If Indiana loses and Penn state wins tonight:

Michigan 12-4
Michigan State 11-4
Wisconsin 10-5
Iowa 9-6
Ohio state 9-7
Nebraska 8-7
Minnesota 7-9
Northwestern 5-10
Purdue 5-10
Illinois 5-10
Indiana 5-10
Penn state 5-10

If we end up the 5 I hope northwestern falls to the 12. Obviously winning is more important than records but it would be cool if Marble finished 2nd in scoring and this would give him another game.

Also as a fan I love watching them play and that gives me one more game to watch. I would rather get the bye but those are some "bright sides" of not getting one.

If Indiana loses and Penn state wins tonight:

Michigan 12-4
Michigan State 11-4
Wisconsin 10-5
Iowa 9-6
Ohio state 9-7
Nebraska 8-7
Minnesota 7-9
Northwestern 5-10
Purdue 5-10
Illinois 5-10
Indiana 5-10
Penn state 5-10

This would all but lock up a bye.

In addition to "as of today" updates, here's update to the projected final standings
(originally broken down, here ... http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/...ing-attention-2nd-season-btt.html#post1272466 )

#1 - Michigan: either 15-3 or 14-4.
#2 - Wisconsin: I think Wisconsin wins out (bursting Nebby's bubble) to finish 13-5.
#3 - MSU: I also think MSU finishes 13-5 (losing last game @ OSU) and loses tiebreaker (Wisky beat them 1-0 and split with Michigan while MSU was 0-3 against Mich and Wisky).
#4 - fOSU wins out over @PSU, @Indy, vs MSU to finish 12-6.
#5 - Iowa goes 2-2 to finish 10-8.
#6 - Nebby finishes 10-8 after L @Illannoy, W vs NwU & @ Indy, L last one vs Wisky.

Bad loss for Husker at bottom-feeder Illannoy. Without at least 2 wins in BTT, this knocks Husker off the bubble. More importantly, (but, i.m.o., not as favorably) this moves Hawks up to #5 seed -- more on that later.

So, barring some huge upsets and mini-meltdowns, I can't think of any reasonable scenario where Iowa is worse than #5 or better than #4. Even if this were to occur, fOSU holds tie-breakers over Iowa. So, right now, I'm 99% sure Iowa will be #5, fOSU #4 and 99.99% sure Michigan will be #1.

Even if there is some minor shuffling between 4/5 and 2/3, none of it matters for the Hawks. Either way, they will play fOSU in 2nd round and #1 in 3rd round.

As mentioned (and explained in original post) I see matchups on this side of the bracket as more unfavorable to Iowa. Some would argue that if they get to #4 and a Thursday bye it will help. I think it will hurt. Iowa has been unfocused and lethargic with longer layoffs. That would also mean that fOSU most likely lost 2 or all 3 of its final games to drop to #5. Don't need a hungry fOSU on a neutral court in a 1-n-done setting.

It is (becoming) what it is. Not saying I hope Hawks lose to drop back to #6. Just saying I'm disappointed Nebraska crappped at Illannoy to play out of #5. I really believe Hawks could have done more damage and, more importantly, regained some mojo while regaining tournament focus, coming from the #6 slot.

In addition to "as of today" updates, here's update to the projected final standings
(originally broken down, here ... http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/...ing-attention-2nd-season-btt.html#post1272466 )

#1 - Michigan: either 15-3 or 14-4.
#2 - Wisconsin: I think Wisconsin wins out (bursting Nebby's bubble) to finish 13-5.
#3 - MSU: I also think MSU finishes 13-5 (losing last game @ OSU) and loses tiebreaker (Wisky beat them 1-0 and split with Michigan while MSU was 0-3 against Mich and Wisky).
#4 - fOSU wins out over @PSU, @Indy, vs MSU to finish 12-6.
#5 - Iowa goes 2-2 to finish 10-8.
#6 - Nebby finishes 10-8 after L @Illannoy, W vs NwU & @ Indy, L last one vs Wisky.

Bad loss for Husker at bottom-feeder Illannoy. Without at least 2 wins in BTT, this knocks Husker off the bubble. More importantly, (but, i.m.o., not as favorably) this moves Hawks up to #5 seed -- more on that later.

So, barring some huge upsets and mini-meltdowns, I can't think of any reasonable scenario where Iowa is worse than #5 or better than #4. Even if this were to occur, fOSU holds tie-breakers over Iowa. So, right now, I'm 99% sure Iowa will be #5, fOSU #4 and 99.99% sure Michigan will be #1.

Even if there is some minor shuffling between 4/5 and 2/3, none of it matters for the Hawks. Either way, they will play fOSU in 2nd round and #1 in 3rd round.

As mentioned (and explained in original post) I see matchups on this side of the bracket as more unfavorable to Iowa. Some would argue that if they get to #4 and a Thursday bye it will help. I think it will hurt. Iowa has been unfocused and lethargic with longer layoffs. That would also mean that fOSU most likely lost 2 or all 3 of its final games to drop to #5. Don't need a hungry fOSU on a neutral court in a 1-n-done setting.

It is (becoming) what it is. Not saying I hope Hawks lose to drop back to #6. Just saying I'm disappointed Nebraska crappped at Illannoy to play out of #5. I really believe Hawks could have done more damage and, more importantly, regained some mojo while regaining tournament focus, coming from the #6 slot.

How do you figure OSU has tie breakers over Iowa? Split the head-to-head games and they lost to Michigan. For Ohio State to get the 4, they need to win out and see Iowa lose once. Unlikely hypothetical situation: if we beat MSU and tie for 3rd with Sparty and OSU, we get the 3 seed.

How do you figure OSU has tie breakers over Iowa? Split the head-to-head games and they lost to Michigan. For Ohio State to get the 4, they need to win out and see Iowa lose once. Unlikely hypothetical situation: if we beat MSU and tie for 3rd with Sparty and OSU, we get the 3 seed.

You're right! I looked at all teams 1-3 when it's only #1 that matters in this case.:eek:

Either way, I still think it's moot. Based on my projection, #4 is the ceiling for Iowa and I believe a bye is more a problem than an advantage for the Hawks.

1. Michigan 12-3 (Owns Tiebreaker over MSU)
2. Michigan State 11-4
3.Wisconsin 10-5
4. OSU 9-7
5. Iowa 8-7
6. Nebraska 8-7
7. Minn 7-9
8. Indiana 5-9
9. Illinois 5-10
10. Purdue 5-10
11. PSU 5-10
12. jNW 5-10

Standings as of games played through 3/4

1. Michigan - Locked in as outright champion and #1 seed in BTT
2. Wisky 11-5 -owns tiebreaker over Michigan State
3. MSU 11-5
4. Iowa 9-7 Tiebreaker over Nebraska
5. Nebby 9-7
6. OSU 9-8
7. Indiana 7-9
8. Minnesota 7-10
9. Illinois 6-11
10. Northwestern 5-11 (combined 1-0 vs tied teams but play both in last two games
11. Penn State 5-11 (1-1 vs NW and Purdue play Northwestern yet)
12. Purdue 5-11 (1-2 vs NW and PSU, play NW yet)

Nothing changed compared to when JDM posted the bracket besides Michigan clinching the 1 seed.

B. Multiple team tie:
1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season. a. When comparing records against the tied teams, the team with the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).
b. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).
2. If the remaining teams are still tied, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

Michigan won. Now we just need Nebraska to lose 1 more...probably tonight. Iowa then gets the 4 seed with 1 more win.

Michigan won. Now we just need Nebraska to lose 1 more...probably tonight. Iowa then gets the 4 seed with 1 more win.

The bracket plays out nicely if it ended today for a title run....should be able to have a fighting change to make it to the finals with the bracket

2. Wisky 12-5 Pretty sure locked in as the 2 seed
3. MSU 11-5
4. Nebby 10-7
5. Iowa 9-7 Tiebreaker over Nebraska
6. OSU 9-8
7. Minnesota 7-10
8. Indiana 7-10
9. Illinois 6-11
10. Northwestern 5-11 (combined 1-0 vs tied teams but play both in last two games

Last couple of games are going to be crucial. I hate to say it but we really need Wisconsin to beat the Shuckers come Sunday. I'd take a victory tonight as well for the good guys.

I really think this could be the craziest conference tournament ever. Seriously a straight crap shoot.

2. Wisky 12-5 Pretty sure locked in as the 2 seed
3. MSU 11-5
4. Nebby 10-7
5. Iowa 9-7 Tiebreaker over Nebraska
6. OSU 9-8
7. Minnesota 7-10
8. Indiana 7-10
9. Illinois 6-11

Last couple of games are going to be crucial.
I hate to say it but we really need Wisconsin to beat the Shuckers come Sunday. I'd take a victory tonight as well for the good guys.
Betcha didn't think you'd be saying that a couple of months ago.

Hell, neither did I, lol.

Anyway, it's going to be a very interesting tourney, that's for certain.

Just realized the following scenario:
IF Hawks can find their defense without losing their offense and pull off the unlikely W at Breslin, and, since I already predicted MSU will lose finale at fOSU, they both finish 11-7. Hawks win tiebreaker (split with MSU and 1-1 vs Michigan, MSU 0-2 vs Michigan) and jump all the way up to #3 seed in BTT!

That would be ideal, giving Iowa a 3rd chance to finally beat Becky (which I'm 2X more confident they would do than beat Nebraska in the 4/5 game on Friday) and basically set them up to win the whole damn thing!!

Hawks have crapped their drawers every previous opportunity to make a move this season; maybe this time they seize the moment, take care of their own business and play their way up to where they belong.

Fvc&!ng Hawkeyes! C'mon!!

Just realized the following scenario: IF Hawks can find their defense without losing their offense and pull off the unlikely W at Breslin, and, since I already predicted MSU will lose finale at fOSU, they both finish 11-7. Hawks win tiebreaker (split with MSU and 1-1 vs Michigan, MSU 0-2 vs Michigan) and jump all the way up to #3 seed in BTT! That would be ideal, giving Iowa a 3rd chance to finally beat Becky (which I'm 2X more confident they would do than beat Nebraska in the 4/5 game on Friday) and basically set them up to win the whole damn thing!! Hawks have crapped their drawers every previous opportunity to make a move this season; maybe this time they seize the moment, take care of their own business and play their way up to where they belong. Fvc&!ng Hawkeyes! C'mon!!

We shall see, would be awesome!

But, like you said Iowa needs to stop pooping the drawers. Not just buying another new pack of underwear.

I actually like Michigan winning the league outright if it puts us on their side of the bracket. Would love to face them on a neutral court for a trip to the finals vs. a team like MSU or Wiscy that we have yet to beat.

Hopefully that list of teams we've yet to beat is trimmed down to one later tonight. That said, it's a tourny to win it you most likely have to beat some of the best so it really doesn't matter when you play them.

It's March theres no more time to poop it away!!! Or as said before its give up on this pair of underwear and wait to break the new ones in.

Latest posts