Big Ten Tournament Seeding Updates

Does Nebraska have the best shot at sneaking into 4th place and ending Bo Ryan's run?

Hard to believe but it may be true.

Does Nebraska have the best shot at sneaking into 4th place and ending Bo Ryan's run?

Hard to believe but it may be true.

I think it depends on Iowa, if Iowa can protect the home court and end Wisconsin win streak then there is a chance. Wisconsin's schedule gets soft down the stretch playing Indiana, @ PSU, Purdue, and finishing @ Nebraska. That last game could be for 4th place in the B1G.

I think it depends on Iowa, if Iowa can protect the home court and end Wisconsin win streak then there is a chance. Wisconsin's schedule gets soft down the stretch playing Indiana, @ PSU, Purdue, and finishing @ Nebraska. That last game could be for 4th place in the B1G.

So you think that the Huskers have the best shot?

Only 2 options really are UNL and OSU. Buckeyes finish with Minny, @PSU, @Inday and MSU. They will more than likely be favored in all 4 of those games.

Wisky needs to drop at the very least 2 more games, most likely @Iowa and @UNL, in order for it to be even possible that they wouldnt at least get a tie for 4th.

So you think that the Huskers have the best shot?

Only 2 options really are UNL and OSU. Buckeyes finish with Minny, @PSU, @Inday and MSU. They will more than likely be favored in all 4 of those games.

Wisky needs to drop at the very least 2 more games, most likely @Iowa and @UNL, in order for it to be even possible that they wouldnt at least get a tie for 4th.

Again it comes down to what happens tomorrow, if Iowa protects the home court that will give Wisconsin their 6th loss and ties them with Ohio State and Nebraska in the loss column. But with the way the Big Ten has played out so far with road teams winning at an amazing high rate you never know what will happen. But the last game for Wisconsin and Nebraska could be for 4th place.

Again it comes down to what happens tomorrow, if Iowa protects the home court that will give Wisconsin their 6th loss and ties them with Ohio State and Nebraska in the loss column. But with the way the Big Ten has played out so far with road teams winning at an amazing high rate you never know what will happen. But the last game for Wisconsin and Nebraska could be for 4th place.

Screw 5th for the Badgers, I hope OSU and UNL both pass them and they finish 6th.

That is just crazy to see Nebraska in the 6th seed. But it would not surprise me to see them move up with their last 5 games being Purdue, @ Illinois, Northwestern, @ Indiana, and Wisconsin. With Petteway playing as well as he is Nebraska will have a chance in all those games.

I projected them as a 7 seed pre-conference. I was a little worried after their first 4 games, but their schedule was really loaded on the front end.

I think Iowa and the Michigan teams are the top 3 seeds. Ohio State, Wisconsin and Nebraska are the next 3 seeds. I'm not even going to guess the order of either group...or the bottom 6 for that matter.

I could see Wisconsin losing at Penn State and Nebraska. They lost to NW at home, so I guess they could lose the 2 home games as well:eek:

Updated 2-24-14
1. Michigan 11-3 (Owns Tiebreaker over MSU)

2. Michigan State 11-4
3.Wisconsin 9-5
4. Iowa 8-5
5. OSU 9-6
6. Nebraska 8-6
7. Minn 6-9
8. Indiana 5-8
9. Purdue 5-9
10. jNW 5-10
11. Illinois 4-10
12. PSU 4-10

In reality not a terrible fall in terms of potential B1G tourney matchups for the Hawks. We'd get the winner of OSU and PSU with a chance to play Michigan or winner of Indiana vs Purdue.

I ran through a bunch of different scenarios last night looking at the various tiebreakers. I'm not going to bore everyone with all of the details. Iowa will most likely be the 4 or 5 seed. Iowa likely gets the 4 seed if they are tied for 4th with anyone but Wisconsin...be it 1 team or multiple teams. If Iowa ends up in a multiple team tie and Wisconsin is involved we are likely the 5 seed.

Updated 2-24-14

2. Michigan State 11-4
3.Wisconsin 9-5
4. Iowa 8-5
5. OSU 9-6
6. Nebraska 8-6
7. Minn 6-9
8. Indiana 5-8
9. Purdue 5-9
10. jNW 5-10
11. Illinois 4-10
12. PSU 4-10

In reality not a terrible fall in terms of potential B1G tourney matchups for the Hawks. We'd get the winner of OSU and PSU with a chance to play Michigan or winner of Indiana vs Purdue.

What happens if Iowa, Ohio State, and Nebraska end up tied for 4th?

What happens if Iowa, Ohio State, and Nebraska end up tied for 4th?

It comes down to head to head between the 3 teams. Iowa is 2-1. Ohio State is 2-2. Nebraska is 1-2. Those are the 4, 5 and 6 seeds in order.

Edit - This is why putting us in any tie involving Wisconsin and other teams is bad...0-2 against Wisconsin.

If Ohio State and Iowa tie for 4th it comes down to record against the conference champ. If Michigan can win the Big 10 outright we get the 4 seed because we went 1-1 and Ohio State went 0-1.

The tiebreaker rules:

B. Multiple team tie:

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season. a. When comparing records against the tied teams, the team with the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

b. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).
2. If the remaining teams are still tied, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

Updated 2-26-14

2. Michigan State 11-4
3.Wisconsin 10-5
4. OSU 9-6
5. Iowa 8-6
6. Nebraska 8-6
7. Minn 7-9
8. Purdue 5-9
9. Indiana 5-9
10. jNW 5-10
11. Illinois 4-10
12. PSU 4-10

With the loss last night we drop down to the 5 seed and move into the dreaded Thursday game vs a dangerous Penn St team with the winner getting a shot at Ohio State. If Michigan stays atop the standings we would win the tiebreaker for the 4 seed over Ohio State if we ended in a tie.

4 seed is perfect if Michigan is the 1. OSU still plays MSU so as long as they lose that game, we are in good position for the 4.

Hard to believe we took Michigan to the woodshed like we did. This team is capable of beating any team in the BIG except possibly a healthy MSU. When was the last time we could say that?

Wow. What a finish. Michigan wins in OT with a last second shot by GR III at Purdue. They stay in 1st place.

Updated 2-27-14
1. Michigan 12-3 (Owns Tiebreaker over MSU)

2. Michigan State 11-4
3.Wisconsin 10-5
4. OSU 9-6
5. Iowa 8-6
6. Nebraska 8-7
7. Minn 7-9
8. Indiana 5-9
9. Illinois 5-10
10. Purdue 5-10
11. jNW 5-10
12. PSU 4-10

Latest posts